Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

Hi
I was wondering if any of the people from Pennsylvania are within commuting distance to NYC via railroad. Also any new communties or homes going up within close proximty to NYC or Nj.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
You can live in Bucks County, drive to Trenton (or take the R7 SEPTA line) and take NJT into NYC. You can also take Amtrak from Trenton. Good schools and about 45 minutes into center city Philly.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 AM

8 posts, read 63,877 times
Default Commuting to NYC from PA (Bucks County)

I live in Newtown Township (Bucks County, PA) and commute to Manhattan 3 days a week.

- 20 minute drive to the Hamilton NJ Transit station (I prefer Hamilton to Trenton; it's easier to get to - all highway driving; newer station and more pleasant surroundings than Trenton; daily parking is $5 at Hamilton vs. $10 at Trenton; new parking deck at Hamilton has significantly improved daily parking spot availability)

- 1 hour express train to NYC Penn Station (only stops after Hamilton are Princeton Junction, Newark Penn Stn and NYC Penn Stn,)

All in all, not bad. Takes me 90 minutes door-to-door (on average), to get to Penn Station NYC.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:59 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
are there any trains that go to Newark airport?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM

70 posts, read 437,931 times
I've been checking out Newtown, but the prices seems higher than Doylestown...maybe if we living in Eastern Doylestown..the drive to the train station will be more bearable?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 AM

34 posts, read 123,541 times
Easton, it is right near 78.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 63,877 times
Default Trains to Newark Airport; Newtown vs. Doylestown

Yes, there are a numer of trains on the NJ Transit northeast corridor line that stop at Newark Liberty airport. I've done it many times...Drive from Newtown to the Hamilton NJ Transit station (about 20 minutes) and hop on a (non-express) train that stops at the new Newark Liberty NJ Trasnsit stop (about 45 minutes from Hamilton).

Yes, housing in Newtown is going to be more expensive than Doylestown. Newtown's demographics tend more toward upper middle class than Doylestown, and the proximity to I-95 and commuting distance to Philly and Manhattan tends to keep a stonger bid on real estate prices.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 PM

15 posts, read 68,747 times
Default close to NY

Easton, PA is closer to New yorl than the Poconos. Easton is right on the Pennsylvania/NJ border and is a straight route to the Holland Tunnel. With no traffic, during off-peak hours (ie weekends, late night), you can get to the Holland tunnel in an hour (unless you have a heavy foot like me, then in 50 minutes). But realistically, if you leave when everyone else leaves to go to work it will take you an hour and a half to ge t to the tunnel, then add whatever time to get to your office. I live here and commute to NYC as do my next door neighbor and a neighbor who lives two doors down from me. There are car lots to park your car and take the bus in. I prefer to drive. The railroad has been closed for a number of years, although I feel with the mass amounts of people moving here they will someday have to consider starting up rail service to NYC again.
The benefits here are cheaper real estate than New York or New Jersey, lower car insurance rates, lower property taxes and great communities. It is a win-win situation living here. Plus on a weekend you can take the family to a day trip to NYC, Philadelphia or the New Jersey Shore (ie Avon By The Sea or Bel-Mar).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania