Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM

469 posts, read 1,453,553 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband's company is relocating us to Sinking Spring, sometime in the next 2-6 months. We would like to rent a house for 6 months to a year while we look for a home to puchase.
We have 2 small children and 2 dogs, so a pet friendly rental is a must.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are so excited about the move and we can't wait to get there!
Thanks so much everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM

Ok, scratch the above.
After looking at our finances, we will need a cheap (but safe) apartment until our house sells here. It seems to be cheaper in Reading. I have heard a lot of bad things about Reading, but if anyone can recommend a nice (cheap) apartment that allows dogs, I would be so thankful.
Thanks everyone!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: South Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
20 posts, read 108,504 times
Hi Stephanie, If you don't get any suggestions on the forum, I recommend contacting a local Realtor. My family lives in South Heidelberg Township; Sinking Spring serves as our Post Office so the borough is not far. We had a difficult time finding a house to rent that accepted pets while we had our current house built. Eventually, my sister out of town took our dog for a few months. However, you may have more luck if you're flexible in regard to where you want to live. We wanted to stay in the same school district. Although I have not personally lived in Reading, I would not recommend living there based on crime statistics and the fact that all of the suburbs around Reading are nice. If you want phone numbers, etc..., just email me and I'll be glad to provide.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1067Top View Post
Hi Stephanie, If you don't get any suggestions on the forum, I recommend contacting a local Realtor. My family lives in South Heidelberg Township; Sinking Spring serves as our Post Office so the borough is not far. We had a difficult time finding a house to rent that accepted pets while we had our current house built. Eventually, my sister out of town took our dog for a few months. However, you may have more luck if you're flexible in regard to where you want to live. We wanted to stay in the same school district. Although I have not personally lived in Reading, I would not recommend living there based on crime statistics and the fact that all of the suburbs around Reading are nice. If you want phone numbers, etc..., just email me and I'll be glad to provide.
Thank you so much for the feedback! It is hard trying to find something on the internet. We are in TX and do not think we will be able to get up there before we move. (This is happening faster than we thought it would.)
I would really appreciate any info you can give me about the area, such as stores (good grocery stores, retail, ect,) what there is to do in the area for families, or any advise you may have for a newcomer.
The biggest change will be getting used to how much more expensive it is there. Plus the state income tax, we don't have that in TX.
Thanks again for your help!!
Stephanie

Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 AM

Location: South Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
20 posts, read 108,504 times
Hi Stephanie,

Suggest going on line and checking out the houses to rent-suburbs in our local newspaper, the Reading Eagle (readingeagle.com). Many of the landlords convey if pets are accepted. Since you want to live near Sinking Spring, suggest considering homes on the west side of Reading (West Reading, West Lawn, Wernersville, Robesonia) all are nice communities.

I think that you are right in that the cost of living will be an adjustment for your family. Compared to Texas, fuel, rent and taxes (especially property taxes if you own a home) will most likely be higher. However, I think that you will find the schools much better than in Texas. My wife and I noticed the school district we live in here was much better than the school our children attended in the western part of the state (better teachers, newer facilities, newer text books, more extra curricular activities etc...). We have lived in Berks County since 1995 and have three kids. The youngest is a senior in high school. Having kids in school and activities will provide you with many opportunities to meet folks.

Getting used to winter will be an adjustment for all of you coming from Texas. Although the cold and snow we get in this part of the state is not as severe as the rest of the state, it will still seem cold and icy for all of you. The nice part is you will experience four distinct seasons which is cool. We are having a beautiful autumn this year. Most homes here have central air conditioning as the temperature reaches 90 degrees or more often in the summer. There are some hot and humid days but I'm sure nothing like you've experienced in Texas (I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona.....summers here are cake!!!).

The population of Reading is around 80,000 residents. So, we get many major entertainers downtown at the Sovereign (named after bank) Center. Most of the time, you won't have to go to Philly (a little over an hour away) for entertainment. However, if you do want more in entertainment, zoos, museums, etc...Washington DC is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away, New York City (which we go to at least once a year) is about the same distance and the state Capital, Harrisburg is less than an hour and a half away. In Berks County, we have an outstanding jazz festival that lasts a couple of weeks every year, the single A baseball affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies in a great minor league stadium and a hockey team, the Reading Royals. Tickets to attend these sporting events are reasonable, the cost of food reasonable and both locations are not far from most places in the county.

If your family is into camping, French Creek state park is close and Pennsylvania is a great state to hunt and fish. There are numerous golf courses, we have a very nice museum and there are many restaurants which include various national chain restaurants in addition to local diners. You will not have any trouble finding supermarkets. There is a wide variety close to just about any place you will live. The grocery chains out here are Giant, Weis, Rednars, Shur Fine. We also have two malls and clothing outlets. Finding places to shop will not be a problem for you.

In trying to put your move here in perspective, I was 40 and my wife 36 years old when we relocated with children ages 13, 8 and 5 years old. The kids adapt to the area quicker than the parents. My wife says it took her about a year to really feel comfortable here but not long after that, she conveyed that she won't live any where else. Being involved with the kid's activities and being involved in our church helped immensely. We still get a kick out of small things like seeing an Amish or Mennonite horse and buggy go down the road which occurs frequently in many parts of the county.

Best of luck to all of you and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 AM

I am amazed at how close everything is. I have never been to PA, so that will be new. I have also never been to NY, DC, really anywhere in New England with the exception of Boston for a weekend trip.
I am nervous about the move, but I feel like this is the best thing for my family, (I have 2 girls who will be 2 & 3 years old in December.) I am sad that we are taking them away from their grandparents, all of whom live here in TX., but not sad enough not to move.
It's funny, I have never heard of any of those grocery stores. Is there also a Target (or even better a Super-Target) and a Super Wal-Mart in the area?
Thanks again for all the great advise! I really appreciate all your help!
Stephanie

Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Hi everyone. My husband's company is relocating us to Sinking Spring, sometime in the next 2-6 months. We would like to rent a house for 6 months to a year while we look for a home to puchase.
We have 2 small children and 2 dogs, so a pet friendly rental is a must.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are so excited about the move and we can't wait to get there!
Thanks so much everyone!!!
Hi~

Our family is also in the process of relocating to the Sinking Spring area for my husband's new job. We have had a difficult time as well finding rentals, houses or apartments. We have a home on the market where we live and the market is terrible right now. We don't anticipate selling very soon.
My husband has suggested that you possibly look at the BerkShire Hills(?) apartment complex. He believes when we looked there that they may allow pets.
We have been fortunate to find a home to rent, it has taken us a little over 2 months, we are still in the process with the application,etc...

Good Luck to you and your family with your relocation!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 AM

46 posts, read 282,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I am amazed at how close everything is. I have never been to PA, so that will be new. I have also never been to NY, DC, really anywhere in New England with the exception of Boston for a weekend trip.
I am nervous about the move, but I feel like this is the best thing for my family, (I have 2 girls who will be 2 & 3 years old in December.) I am sad that we are taking them away from their grandparents, all of whom live here in TX., but not sad enough not to move.
It's funny, I have never heard of any of those grocery stores. Is there also a Target (or even better a Super-Target) and a Super Wal-Mart in the area?
Thanks again for all the great advise! I really appreciate all your help!
Stephanie

1067Top has covered a lot of what I would have said about the area, and then some. I'm a Berks County lifer, and can't always convey what an "outsider" sees in the community.

There is a Target and Walmart in Spring Township/Wyomissing area, not far from Sinking Spring. There is a Super Walmart in Temple, about 15 minutes north via US 222. There isn't a Super Target in the area.

There are three major grocery chains in the area. Giant Food Stores (giantfoodstores.com) is my food store of choice. They are based in Carlisle PA. There is a smaller, older store near Sinking Spring and a newer one in Spring Township near Wyomissing, not far from Walmart and the Berkshire Mall.

Redner's Warehouse Markets (not a warehouse store like Sams, BJ's or Costco) is locally owned and has a location in the same center as Walmart in Wyomissing and another on the western side of Sinking Spring. I shop here occasionally, because they have some items I can't find at Giant.

Weis Markets has a store in the Target complex. They are based in Sunbury PA I find their prices to be higher than the others and rarely shop there, but they have a loyal shopper base.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any nationally recognized grocery chains in the area. Acme, IGA, Thriftway have been long gone.

Last edited by kf70; 10-26-2008 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Hi~

Our family is also in the process of relocating to the Sinking Spring area for my husband's new job. We have had a difficult time as well finding rentals, houses or apartments. We have a home on the market where we live and the market is terrible right now. We don't anticipate selling very soon.
My husband has suggested that you possibly look at the BerkShire Hills(?) apartment complex. He believes when we looked there that they may allow pets.
We have been fortunate to find a home to rent, it has taken us a little over 2 months, we are still in the process with the application,etc...

Good Luck to you and your family with your relocation!
Congratulations on your move and thanks for responding!

I do wish I could rent a house vs an apartment. You guys are lucky to find one. May I ask what sort of price range they are renting for?

Berkshire Hills is one of the places we are looking at. We are in a similar situation with wanting to sell our house. Our realtor came over today to give us neighborhood data, prices of home sells in our area, ect.
We are going to be optimistic about it

Please let me know if you find a good realtor there. We will need all the help we can get.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf70 View Post
1067Top has covered a lot of what I would have said about the area, and then some. I'm a Berks County lifer, and can't always convey what an "outsider" sees in the community.

There is a Target and Walmart in Spring Township/Wyomissing area, not far from Sinking Spring. There is a Super Walmart in Temple, about 15 minutes north via US 222. There isn't a Super Target in the area.

There are three major grocery chains in the area. Giant Food Stores (giantfoodstores.com) is my food store of choice. They are based in Carlisle PA. There is a smaller, older store near Sinking Spring and a newer one in Spring Township near Wyomissing, not far from Walmart and the Berkshire Mall.

Redner's Warehouse Markets (not a warehouse store like Sams, BJ's or Costco) is locally owned and has a location in the same center as Walmart in Wyomissing and another on the western side of Sinking Spring. I shop here occasionally, because they have some items I can't find at Giant.

Weis Markets has a store in the Target complex. They are based in Sunbury PA I find their prices to be higher than the others and rarely shop there, but they have a loyal shopper base.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any nationally recognized grocery chains in the area. Acme, IGA, Thriftway have been long gone.
Thanks for all the great info!!
Having never been there, how are the winters in Berks County? I love the cold and snow, so I hope we get both. (I lived in Michigan for a year and did NOT want to move back to TX. )
I am sad that we will not get up there during the fall to see the foliage, but at least I know I have many years of that ahead.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania