Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,813 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've read through the posts in here about Ephrata so far and they have been helpful. A bit of info - we're married, late 20's, soon to be having kids. I've been in PA my whole life (MontCo) and my hubby is actually from the midwest so he has a bit of a different mindset. He has found it different to fit in here sometimes in the 6 years he's been here in PA.

Our little townhouse near King of Prussia, while extremely convienent to everything we need is just too small. We're looking at areas for growing familes and where we could get the most house for the $. I've found that Ephrata has several good single family home options available currently. I thought of Lancaster itself but it seems a little too touristy now and the commute to our jobs (Chesterbrook and KoP) would actually be farther (so I've heard). So I have a few questions:

- I've heard that the commute to the KoP area is actually better if you take the turnpike, and then on average it is about 50 mins during rush hour. Is this true? Are there better backroad options? Any carpooling options or transit that is feasible? Or are there closer towns with similar offerings?
- From what I've read here I saw several people say that the community can be closed minded. Is this the same in Ephrata, in a new home developement? We are looking to start a family and are friendly people. If we will be ostracized though just for being "outsiders" that won't work well
- What kind of shopping and grocery options are available?
- I know entertainment/arts wise it's not Philly but what is available nearby?
- Here we go to a wonderful multicultural Assemblies of God church. Are there any AoG/Pentacostal or similar churches out there? How big are they?

From what I've seen so far I think Ephrata might be a good option, at least for the early years of our growing family. A slower pace than out here would probably be beneficial too and I know my hubby would appreciate it. Thanks so much for any info you can give. It's so helpful to get responses from people that live and actually know the area as opposed to just Googling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
Our Daughter her husband, and 1 year old recently moved to Ephrata Township in a single house development. They previously had lived in Reamstown, closer to the turnpike (which they both travel daily). They really like their delvelopment and had no problems meeting the neighbors and friends. So far, they are glad they picked the Ephrata area.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Our Daughter her husband, and 1 year old recently moved to Ephrata Township in a single house development. They previously had lived in Reamstown, closer to the turnpike (which they both travel daily). They really like their delvelopment and had no problems meeting the neighbors and friends. So far, they are glad they picked the Ephrata area.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 94,852 times
As far as entertainment, there's not much to do. Lancaster is a short 15-20 min drive away where you'll find live music, small theater, comedy, etc.. Decent but some get bored with it.

Not sure about specific churches. I can tell you that the area is pretty close-minded. You won't be treated poorly because of being a newcomer, but Ephrata is home to many families who have stayed in the area for generations. Ideas here are traditional and slow to change.

Carpooling is possible. I'd check out Lancaster resources for that. Turnpike is a safe bet but I'm sure there are backroads that could cut time. I never took them out but try asking around.

There's a Walmart and two other main grocery stores. I do not recommend going to Redner's.

I know you didn't ask about schools, but I can tell you if you're looking to raise children there, the schools are good. I say this as a student who went through 3 of their elementary schools, as well as middle and high. Great opportunities for "gifted" and accelerated learning. Scholarships available to the students through local bank and are pretty much a given. Also excellent connections with PA universities and colleges. I don't know how they compare to other school systems in general, so this is just my opinion.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your search and move.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Live where you work. This is the lesson I have learned the hard way. We lived in King of Prussia for many years and regret leaving. I hope you have thought through commuting from Ephrata to KoP. Everyday. My commute is no where near as long but I wish I was back in KoP. There will be days when your husband for whatever reason needs to come home in the middle of the day, especially with small kids. He would be practically unreachable. Distances don't seem as long when you visit a place on a Sunday. Do it everyday and it is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania