Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,506 times

Advertisements

Are you already in PA or are you looking for a house there currently? We looked about three weeks ago and will be making another trip in a couple of weeks. I was curious what you decided to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklock View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving out to PA, because of housing costs in the Middlesex area. I work in Piscatway, NJ and work 7 to 4. Is anyone doing this ride every day? I heard Rt 80 is a pain to go on. I was thinking about doing the ride on a weekday to see what it's like, but was hoping to meet some people who are currentling commuting this way and back.
Alexandra
I got a question.
Since there are all these people wanting to commute from PA to NJ by NY or NYC, do the PA areas in question have NY stations, papers, and follow NY teams?

I find it weird and off that PA, which in my mind was always pro PHI or PIT, not NY is having all these NY people come in, and that people would work in one region while being out of touch in the PHI market.

I would think with the influx this would lead to a blending of fans of both NY and PHI.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I got a question.
Since there are all these people wanting to commute from PA to NJ by NY or NYC, do the PA areas in question have NY stations, papers, and follow NY teams?

I find it weird and off that PA, which in my mind was always pro PHI or PIT, not NY is having all these NY people come in, and that people would work in one region while being out of touch in the PHI market.

I would think with the influx this would lead to a blending of fans of both NY and PHI.
NE PA has always identified more with NY than Philly. NY papers are sold here and we get NY TV stations....my local sports stations for Directv are SNY, YES, MSG, and Fox Sports NY. Plus, its even tilted further toward NY with the Yankees AAA team in Scranton. The only time you're reminded that you're in PA is that the Eagles and Steelers are the predominant pro football teams, although there are Giants and Jets fans around as well, and Penn State is the predominant college football team (although there are also a lot of Notre Dame fans due to the large amount of Irish in NE PA).

Also, there is supposed to be a commuter train starting in Scranton, and going through the Poconos to Hoboken up and running in the next few years or so, although the project always seems to be getting pushed back.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
NE PA has always identified more with NY than Philly. NY papers are sold here and we get NY TV stations....my local sports stations for Directv are SNY, YES, MSG, and Fox Sports NY. Plus, its even tilted further toward NY with the Yankees AAA team in Scranton. The only time you're reminded that you're in PA is that the Eagles and Steelers are the predominant pro football teams, although there are Giants and Jets fans around as well, and Penn State is the predominant college football team (although there are also a lot of Notre Dame fans due to the large amount of Irish in NE PA).

Also, there is supposed to be a commuter train starting in Scranton, and going through the Poconos to Hoboken up and running in the next few years or so, although the project always seems to be getting pushed back.
In NEPA I would think the Giants and Jets still would be more popular, I can't imagine people criss crossing between NY in one sport, PHI the other.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
In the Lehigh Valley, it's Eagles fans. They have their summer camp at Lehigh University. The most popular paper is the Allentown one but the NY Times and The Philadelphia Inquirer are also available. We personally subscribe to the Inquirer and the Morning Call. My husband is a season ticket holder for the Eagles and we watch all their away games with friends.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In the Lehigh Valley, it's Eagles fans. They have their summer camp at Lehigh University. The most popular paper is the Allentown one but the NY Times and The Philadelphia Inquirer are also available. We personally subscribe to the Inquirer and the Morning Call. My husband is a season ticket holder for the Eagles and we watch all their away games with friends.
But Easton is closer to NY, I would think that would be 50/50 or slightly more NY given it's in PA but closer to NYC and Giants Stadium too.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 AM

I don't know about Easton people specifically, and I know it's still considered the Lehigh Valley, but I don't believe they have their own newspaper and the Morning Call covers the Eagles. I think there is such a thing as state pride, even though someone might live geographically closer to one area, it doesn't mean that they think of themselves as being affilated with another area out of state. If the Eagles get kicked out of the play-offs, we all switch our allegance to Pittsburgh because they are still Pennsylvania.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know about Easton people specifically, and I know it's still considered the Lehigh Valley, but I don't believe they have their own newspaper and the Morning Call covers the Eagles. I think there is such a thing as state pride, even though someone might live geographically closer to one area, it doesn't mean that they think of themselves as being affilated with another area out of state. If the Eagles get kicked out of the play-offs, we all switch our allegance to Pittsburgh because they are still Pennsylvania.
Oh come on, a PIT fan would never do that to a PHI team.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Sorry, that's just how it is. Most Eagles fans would never root for the Giants or Jets, but because the Steelers aren't in our league and they are in Pennsylvania, it's okay to root for them if we're out of it. Philadelphia and New York already have a city rivalry with NYC thinking because it's bigger it's better. Pittsburgh is more like a sister city then a rival. Now, if no Pennsylvania teams are playing in the Superbowl and a NY team was (but, aren't they really New Jersey teams since they don't even play in their own state?) then I suppose one could root for them, like if they were playing Dallas.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry, that's just how it is. Most Eagles fans would never root for the Giants or Jets, but because the Steelers aren't in our league and they are in Pennsylvania, it's okay to root for them if we're out of it. Philadelphia and New York already have a city rivalry with NYC thinking because it's bigger it's better. Pittsburgh is more like a sister city then a rival. Now, if no Pennsylvania teams are playing in the Superbowl and a NY team was (but, aren't they really New Jersey teams since they don't even play in their own state?) then I suppose one could root for them, like if they were playing Dallas.
No, they aren't an NJ team. They play there but it's part of the NY market.
If you call them NJ, then you can call the Cowboys the Iriving Cowboys, the Raljon, MD Redskinds, Orchard Park, Bills.
That so ***** when people bring that up/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania