Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
To the flamers: Don't Assume...........
I agree. I didn't actually immediately assume you were gay-bashing either, and I'm probably the only other gay individual who has replied to your comment. Scranton isn't exactly the "Shangri-La" of open-mindedness and tolerance either, but it is slowly improving as Generation X, my generation, is overall one of the most tolerant generations in history. The people you need to worry about most in this area (and I'm assuming the same is for York) are the middle-aged and elderly people, most of whom have never been exposed to people of different sexual orientations and still assume the stereotypes about us that they grew up with are true (which they aren't, but you can't help their lack of an education).

You actually couldn't tell if most gays/lesbians were indeed gays/lesbians just by looking at them or studying their behaviors. I'm actually a "straight-acting" type of guy that gets his hands dirty, watches sporting events, and almost has a six-pack. The only thing we ask for is tolerance, NOT acceptance. I don't care if you "approve" of my so-called "choice" or not as long as you keep your comments to yourselves. Live and let live is my outlook on life!

With that being said, I wish there were more openly-GLBT people in Eastern PA, as I feel very, very lonesome, but sometimes you just have to play the card you've been dealt in life and learn to realize you can't always get what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 03:03 PM

470 posts, read 1,709,187 times
newjerseybt -

Your clarification statement was helpful, I didn't know what you meant with your original comment.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM

142 posts, read 537,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I agree. I didn't actually immediately assume you were gay-bashing either, and I'm probably the only other gay individual who has replied to your comment. Scranton isn't exactly the "Shangri-La" of open-mindedness and tolerance either, but it is slowly improving as Generation X, my generation, is overall one of the most tolerant generations in history. The people you need to worry about most in this area (and I'm assuming the same is for York) are the middle-aged and elderly people, most of whom have never been exposed to people of different sexual orientations and still assume the stereotypes about us that they grew up with are true (which they aren't, but you can't help their lack of an education).

You actually couldn't tell if most gays/lesbians were indeed gays/lesbians just by looking at them or studying their behaviors. I'm actually a "straight-acting" type of guy that gets his hands dirty, watches sporting events, and almost has a six-pack. The only thing we ask for is tolerance, NOT acceptance. I don't care if you "approve" of my so-called "choice" or not as long as you keep your comments to yourselves. Live and let live is my outlook on life!

With that being said, I wish there were more openly-GLBT people in Eastern PA, as I feel very, very lonesome, but sometimes you just have to play the card you've been dealt in life and learn to realize you can't always get what you want.

What is most important is your positive outlook. I feel that I have more energy after reading your many posts. Something akin to having 5 cups of coffee in the morning while watching a Tony Robbins commercial!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,624,426 times
York is so-so towards gay issues....if you stay near the city you should be fine. I would second the other poster who mentioned Harrisburg. It's the only city in PA outside of Philly and Pittsburgh that has a true "gayborhood"..it's not uncommon at all to see lesbian/gay couples walking around the midtown area. But most notably, the suburbs seem to have a fair number of gay couples -- especially lesbians.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:46 AM

26 posts, read 102,066 times
Not too many places in PA are gay friendly. I would look into some smaller New England towns, you'd fit in much better. I used to live in PA and as friendly and helpful as the people are in the dutch country area, it is a very, VERY conservative state outside of philly.

I don't know if Harrisburg would be any better. The city itself would be ok I would guess, but try to avoid driving more than 2 miles in any direction..

But on that note... why not just move to Cali!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 AM

32 posts, read 130,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
I found the internet to be a place where people can pretend to be anybody they want to be. When you eventually relocate, you will experience the truth regarding hypocrisy. Your so called "righteous neighbors" cannot "log off".

If I were in your position, I would not place too much weight on the internet. In the real world, all it takes is one bad neighbor and the pain begins. Making the decision yourself may be a better choice.

To the flamers: Don't Assume...........
it is too bad vulgarity is not permitted here. This lady did not pretend, she just wanted to know if we knew if it was gay friendly, obviously you are not, but some people have OPEN minds and believe that people have every right to happiness, JUST LIKE YOU. Though you seem miserable. Late for a gay bashing rally are ya.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacity girl View Post
I am a third year medical student at the University of Iowa in Iowa City and looking into different residency programs in Family Medicine. I have a partner of 8 years and we are expecting our first child any day now. My partner will not return to work after the baby is born, which therefore necessitates that the program I choose to attend offers same-sex and adopted child health insurance coverage. It appears that the York program does offer these health benefits which I tend to use a a barometer for the overall tolerance of an area. However after reading some of the threads pertaining to race relations and diversity in the York area, I am really concerned! I am afraid that it would not be a place that my partner and I could meet other lesbian or gay couples and that our child may be the only one in class with two mommies coming to the parent-teacher conference. Please give us any information that you have on being out lesbians with a child and living in York. Thanks for your help as we attempt to make this important decision!

Sincerely,
iowacity girl
I grew up in Mt. Cobb PA, just 10 miles outside of Scranton and we had a gay gym teacher at our high school and she never seemed to be puttin gup with too much flack from anybody. She lived two houses away and her and her partner were a wonderful part of the community.

Last edited by Yac; 04-25-2007 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:

oooh, a six pack huh, not referring to beer I take it? PEOPLE, gay or straight have the right to be happy. PERIOD!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,622,502 times
Quote:
but it is slowly improving as Generation X, my generation, is overall one of the most tolerant generations in history.

Sorry for the irrelevant nitpick, but I'm assuming you meant Generation Y -- the current batch of teens and twenty-somethings. Anyway, I just wanted to agree. We are quite open-minded individuals.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM

470 posts, read 1,709,187 times
Outstanding career opportunties don't always land in places where it would be "acceptable" to be gay. Recommending that this woman and her partner go to California or somewhere else other than where the opportunity is just sends the message of "Not in my Backyard".

What a disappointment. I hope someday people will be evolved sufficiently that these issues will no longer be a concern. Not only does this woman need answers about the area, she needs to know whether she and her family will be safe just going about their business.

IMHO - Both Generation X and Generation Y are making strides to reduce prejudice and increase open-mindedness. I think it's the baby boomers that are still the old guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania