Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,472 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I don't know what some of these people are talking about! Try Bucks County! It's FANTASTIC, the people are great, and it's a great place to raise a family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,636 times
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I just wanted to post a comment in response to some other things that have been said. The (only) reason we are looking to go to York is because we have family relocating to Carlisle, PA and the York Family Medicine program would be the closest in proximity. The residency interview trail is usually a long one and consisits of 1-2 visits to the institution...so I would never move somewhere without actually stepping foot there myself. However, we have been living in Iowa City...a place where being gay is common and being highly educated is even more common. We will not compromise our happiness when we choose our location. Luckily, there is a great need for Family doctors, and I will be able to go almost anywhere that we choose. Even though this has been a web-based inquiry, I think that it is still a very helpful forum to learn about the overall mindset of a community.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Sorry for the irrelevant nitpick, but I'm assuming you meant Generation Y -- the current batch of teens and twenty-somethings. Anyway, I just wanted to agree. We are quite open-minded individuals.
It's by no means irrelevant. I actually picked up on my mistake a day after I posted this reply, but I didn't want to bother a moderator to ask them to change just one letter in it. I do happen to think though that Generation X and Generation Y have quite a bit in common. I'm supposing the next wave will be Generation Z, right? Then, do we start all over again in the Greek alphabet? (Generation Alpha, Generation Beta, etc.)

Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacity girl View Post
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I just wanted to post a comment in response to some other things that have been said. The (only) reason we are looking to go to York is because we have family relocating to Carlisle, PA and the York Family Medicine program would be the closest in proximity. The residency interview trail is usually a long one and consisits of 1-2 visits to the institution...so I would never move somewhere without actually stepping foot there myself. However, we have been living in Iowa City...a place where being gay is common and being highly educated is even more common. We will not compromise our happiness when we choose our location. Luckily, there is a great need for Family doctors, and I will be able to go almost anywhere that we choose. Even though this has been a web-based inquiry, I think that it is still a very helpful forum to learn about the overall mindset of a community.
Iowa City is also home to the University of Iowa, a school that is a magnet for a lot of quirky, eccentric types from Chicagoland. York doesn't have that sort of atmosphere, if that's what you're looking for. If possible, I'd suggest that you both scope out State College, as it is a MIRROR IMAGE of Iowa City. I've been to State College twice in the past year to visit my friends at Penn State University, and each time it's like passing into a different cultural era. My homebase of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is a "Leave it to Beaver" type of an area where weekly church attendance is expected and terms like "darkie" and "fruity" are still appropriate simply because a lot of the baby boomers in our area haven't been exposed to cultural diversity very much (I expect that to change RAPIDLY once more New Yorkers start moving to Scranton in the coming years). I know they don't mean these comments to be malicious; they just don't quite realize the negative connotations that some of these comments can have. Meanwhile, State College had independent newspapers, a Gay/Straight Alliance, eclectic boutiques and cafes, etc. State College is a liberal haven amid some of the most conservative farmlands in the entire commonwealth! I was in heaven to visit the famous "Creamery" (campus ice dairy/ice cream hot spot), and see an openly-gay couple sitting at a table near my friends and I and sharing an ice cream cone without garnering any rude stares, snickers, comments, etc. as I'd expect in my own hometown. People seemed to be more concerned with their own affairs and couldn't care less that two people near them had apparently fallen in love.

I actually cried a little bit that night because I realized something---I can be "open" two hours west in State College or two hours east in Manhattan, but my particular area is one in which people still shield their childrens' eyes from people like me as if we're some sort of deformed monsters when nothing could be further from the truth. I knew I was in for a rough ride when I heard my manager and a customer openly-bashing gay people one day while I just stood between them, too fearful to speak up in my own defense or file a lawsuit against my big-box employer for creating a hostile workplace environment for minorities. This is the one thing that makes me want to leave Scranton---my depression over its abysmal GLBT community, most of which "hides in the closet." I've personally only been the victim of a hate crime by two other individuals, but the comments I hear everyday lead me to believe that there are MANY more out there who would gladly form lynch mobs to "protect their children from us" if they legally could.

There are liberally-minded, tolerant, GLBT havens throughout the Commonwealth that may interest you. Among them include State College, Harrisburg, New Hope, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Allentown (which hosts a large annual gay pride festival). For some reason or other, a region as massive as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre still has yet to "catch up" to the rest of the nation in terms of diversity, open-mindedness, tolerance, etc., but I think that will change as the New Yokers will (hopefully) take over the city with their more open-minded, 21st-Century attitudes. As far as York is concerned, I'm guessing it will likewise continue to become more open-minded as Harrisburg to the north and Baltimore to the south continue to force growth pressures on York County.

I wish you the best of luck in your relocation to PA! Just bear in mind that overall, this state is conservative and is a far cry from Iowa City!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 PM

194 posts, read 281,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheels View Post
Not too many places in PA are gay friendly. I would look into some smaller New England towns, you'd fit in much better. I used to live in PA and as friendly and helpful as the people are in the dutch country area, it is a very, VERY conservative state outside of philly.

I don't know if Harrisburg would be any better. The city itself would be ok I would guess, but try to avoid driving more than 2 miles in any direction..

But on that note... why not just move to Cali!
I agrea completely with this statement. I find PA especially the western part of the state to be very bigoted. You would be okay in Philly but if I had to live in a major city Philly would be the last place in the country I would pick.

I remember when I lived in New Hampshire I would sometimes go on day trips and it was very common to see gay pride flags in these quit picturesque New England Villages. The Universalys Church (I think thats what its called) has a huge presence up there and they are very tollerent towards others.

I think that a person should live wherever they want to live since you are an American Citizen that pays taxes. The Hypocrits win if they keep you out of an area or keep you from doing something that you want to do just beacuse you are afraid of there reaction. I understand though that its much more complex then that since you have a child. If you move to York I think your child will have a very hard time growing up.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,407 times
Well, SWB, on Sunday a Boomer old lady from York went on a 'stalking' mission in order to offer you a friendly hello and thank you in person for all your helpful posts here. I must say that I found you to be most gracious and tolerant toward some strange woman addressing you in the middle of your work day.

Yes, York is conservative. Yes, you will find bigots in York. I will suggest that if any individual, regardless of color, religious background, or sexual preference treats others with respect, they will find a place in the community. Frankly, I'm much more interested in a person's character and the goodness of their soul than any label that may be forced upon them. I believe many other people feel the same way.

In life there will always be individuals who are so unsure of themselves and their own personal positions that they will find a way to beat down others. Be happy and secure in yourself, wish them a good day, and move on. It's their fight....not yours.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Well, SWB, on Sunday a Boomer old lady from York went on a 'stalking' mission in order to offer you a friendly hello and thank you in person for all your helpful posts here. I must say that I found you to be most gracious and tolerant toward some strange woman addressing you in the middle of your work day.

Yes, York is conservative. Yes, you will find bigots in York. I will suggest that if any individual, regardless of color, religious background, or sexual preference treats others with respect, they will find a place in the community. Frankly, I'm much more interested in a person's character and the goodness of their soul than any label that may be forced upon them. I believe many other people feel the same way.

In life there will always be individuals who are so unsure of themselves and their own personal positions that they will find a way to beat down others. Be happy and secure in yourself, wish them a good day, and move on. It's their fight....not yours.

"Stalking mission?" Naw. I think not. I was flattered more than anything! I was just caught off-guard at first; I thought you were a crazed customer coming to yell at me for punching out to go on my lunch break (which actually had happened to me once before!) LOL! I was actually just a tad embarrassed because I've interacted with so many people on these boards that I temporarily forgot just which member you were (the epiphany came to me while chowing down on my "brain food" in the break room about ten minutes later).

I was very happy to hear that you found your very own lakeside retreat up here in my neck of the woods, and I hope you come to cherish it in all of its beauty through all four of our very distinct, clearly-defined seasons. I could tell immediately that you'd definitely become an asset to the area (unlike myself, who is only the first three letters of that word!) LOL!

Your words of wisdom should be resonated throughout everyone on this forum. I by no means demand respect or acceptance, as I feel both should be earned on a case-by-case basis. However, I do demand tolerance, as I was raised in a goody-two-shoes household that instilled in me a sense of "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!" I'm well aware of the fact that over half of this country seems to think that sexual orientation is a conscious choice rather than either a subconscious one or passed down genetically in a dormant recessive gene. Let me ask those of you who feel that way one question: Would you "choose" a lifetime of breaking down barriers and uphill verbal battles with some people who felt you were a detriment to their communities? I think not. You'd have to be a madman to wish that upon anyone!

It's nice to hear from you, and don't be a stranger. We're not your closest Lowe's store (there's one near Stroudsburg), but the shopping options in Wilkes-Barre are much more numerous (as you probably saw). If you need any more help getting oriented or settled in, feel free to let me know!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,407 times
SWB, I knew I caught you off guard. I'm sorry. I didn't want to hold you up, so I didn't go into more detail. I also knew you'd figure it out.

I doubt that I'll do much shopping to the east. It's only about a 30 minute run up Rt.115 to WB.....with much less traffic. I'd much rather patronize local business, but there will be those times that I'll turn into a lemming. (Wegmans!!!!!) Besides, Lowe's has some shower heads that we want. We will need several. I hope you guys will have the same ones we purchased here in DE.

We made another run up there before we headed south this evening. The furniture we purchased there will be delivered on May 10, and we will make the final move north in early June.

The next challenge will be trying to find a doctor and dentist. I have a feeling we'll be heading to the WB area for those services as well.

Thanks again for your time, all the great info you make available here, and your kind offer of assistance! I certainly enjoyed our brief meeting.

iowacity girl, York needs good doctors. Spend some time in the area. Research the school districts. Give the people and community a chance. I wish you, your partner, and your kids well.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,935,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacity girl View Post
I am a third year medical student at the University of Iowa in Iowa City and looking into different residency programs in Family Medicine. I have a partner of 8 years and we are expecting our first child any day now. My partner will not return to work after the baby is born, which therefore necessitates that the program I choose to attend offers same-sex and adopted child health insurance coverage. It appears that the York program does offer these health benefits which I tend to use a a barometer for the overall tolerance of an area. However after reading some of the threads pertaining to race relations and diversity in the York area, I am really concerned! I am afraid that it would not be a place that my partner and I could meet other lesbian or gay couples and that our child may be the only one in class with two mommies coming to the parent-teacher conference. Please give us any information that you have on being out lesbians with a child and living in York. Thanks for your help as we attempt to make this important decision!

Sincerely,
iowacity girl
Hey Iowacity girl

Check out this sites. This is helping my partner and I in deciding where we want to move.

http://www.hrc.org/
http://www.gaydemographics.org/

Good luck my GLBT friends.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,418 times
iowa, I PM'd you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania