Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,821 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on where to suggest to my mother to live. What she wants is an area that doesnt get too much snowfall in the winter (she wont move back to Syracuse NY because of this) with decent house prices. A good community with little crime.

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 22,420 times
Hi Jrice look in the Classified Ads in the city-data.com forums. I live in Clarion County great place to live! Anything north of I-80 seems to get a lot of snow. Lucky I live 12 south of I-80.. We get very little snow but it's amazing you drive to the north side and they always have a lot more snow.. Snowbelt I guess. If you have any question let me know! Peace! K Oh, no crime here!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 PM

42 posts, read 114,829 times
I'm gonna go ahead and suggest something in the southeastern part of the state or south-central PA along the Maryland line. Closer proximity to the ocean helps moderate the winter temperatures and precip, and it seems to be just warm enough in places like Adams County to spare them the large snowfalls that plague more northerly places to the north, east and west. Maybe a suburban Philadelphia location along the mainline or the Gettysburg area?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM

I was thinking about suggesting the Gettysburg area--when we visited the area last year we drove through and loved the area. thanks for the suggestion

Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 AM

50 posts, read 396,914 times
Why don't you let your Mom decide where she wants to live... If she ask you for your input give her your input...

Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblea65 View Post
Why don't you let your Mom decide where she wants to live... If she ask you for your input give her your input...
Thanks for the input, really informative and helpful, I guess you didn't see the word "suggest" in the original post.. And what do you think I am doing???? If I was telling my mother where to live it would be where I am living. She asked me for ideas of where to live that was close and didnt get a lot of snow.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
Binghamton, Elmira, Corning, Ithaca, all get far less snow than Syracuse. Also the parts of PA south and east of a line roughly from Corning NY to Cumberland MD (also, roughly, the "future I-99 corridor") get less snow than north and west of that line.

For example, Altoona areas in the valley get relatively little snow, but Johnstown can get hammered and Cresson (atop the Allegheny Front between the two) can get Cicero or Baldwinsville-caliber squalls.

Gettysburg can get crowded with tourists and is on the cusp of beoming overwhelmed by the DC area. Carlisle north of there and west of Harrisburg might be a nice spot, when I lived there I wasn't the only CNY native in the neighborhood. Bloomsburg, and Sunbury/Selinsgrove might be good to look into too.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,959 times
I am from Altoona and live in Cicero, NY as well. I HATED Cicero b/c of the cold and snow...right off the lake! Although Altoona isn't as bad it still get a good deal of snow...as does most of Central PA. We also lived in Bucks County, near Philly and although it gets snow as well it is much better than Central. More rain than snow I would say. Newtown is a very nice area...(This is in Bucks County) but housing is not cheap.
Doylestown may be a good choice.
Good luck to your mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania