Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM

13 posts, read 44,410 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for the help! I took a trip down this weekend and checked out all three counties. I may have more questions in the future, but now I can be quite a bit more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM

35 posts, read 183,263 times
Why don't you just move to Havre de Grace??? It's really pretty nice now.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 PM

522 posts, read 963,322 times
Lancaster county is largely amish yes,but the city of Lancaster has serious heroin issues as well as some of the outlying area..then there is york..Alot of crime!!!!
I wouldn't go there!And as far as high taxes..he is right..the taxes have gone up!!!!my entire family lives here in Pa and I can tell you that most are paying over 5000.00 in taxes.
As to the other areas, I would try Quarryville or even Strasburg..but know that there is a tourism industry here too in Strasburg.
With the price in gas rising quicker than a loaf of bread in a warm oven..I would stay as close to work as possible!!!(Gas is going way up!!!!!)

Old 11-23-2007, 05:01 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'm curious to know any downsides to Havre de grace since I've heard it has cleaned itself up recently and is pretty nice. As for Chester County, Nottingham and Oxford are within that 45 minute range and are pretty rural. Even Rising Sun Maryland along route 1 seems pretty rural with some new but reasonable developments. It doesn't look over developed, say compared to route 30 near Exton.
Rural has its downsides since the towns I mentioned don't have much in the way of shopping and you'd have to drive a bit to find restaurants, stores, etc.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
James Carville coined the term "Penciltucky" so it probably shouldn't be used, the guy is an idiot. The general usage is that between Philadalephia and Pittsburgh is backwoods hillbilly country which is just not true. You get more politically aware and community active people the farther you get from the major cities. And while they are generally more conservative in the center of the state, they are also less likely to throw one party levers when they vote. They vote issues. They vote for candidates, not party hacks. One could just as easily say Pennsylvania is stuck with liberal PhilaJersia on the east and CleveBurgh on the west while the rest of the state is trying to keep working and off assisitance. That's just as wrong as saying Philly and Pittsburgh are the only places that have the right ideas. Just My2 cents.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,891 times
Do you live in Strasburg? I know there are tourist areas there, but is it mostly rural? I am looking for a small town with tourist stuff, not in the middle of nowhere, and safe for a family.
I would love to move to Intercourse, but the mls is only showing like two or three houses for sale there. Doesn't anyone move from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania