Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 37,476 times

Advertisements

What are some good neighborhoods in Manheim Township for a young couple (both 24) that will ultimately have kids in the near future? Price range is around $350K.

Specifically:
  • Which shopping center would we like to be close to?
  • Any neighborhoods that look inviting, but for reasons that may not be realized until we live there, we may want to consider avoiding?
  • The neighborhoods near Lancaster Airport -- is the Airport at all intrustive?
  • Do you consider route 722 a busy road? Would you consider buying a house located on it? Which sections (State Rd vs. Graystone Rd vs. Petersburg Rd vs. Valley Rd)
  • Manheim Township Community Park vs. Overlook vs. Lancaster Country Club -- which would you like to be closest to?
  • I've noticed a lot of the "nice" neighborhoods are missing sidewalks...is that a problem?
Finally, I realize that it may be difficult for us to make friends given our outsider/transplant status (my fiance is from Reading/Wyomissing...maybe that'll help...

Regardless, does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest ways to find an "in" to a group of friends. Sport Leagues? Country Clubs? Pool Memberships? Golf Courses? Maybe we'll have to wait until we have kids and let them do the "choosing"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysunice View Post
What are some good neighborhoods in Manheim Township for a young couple (both 24) that will ultimately have kids in the near future? Price range is around $350K.

Specifically:
  • Which shopping center would we like to be close to?
  • Any neighborhoods that look inviting, but for reasons that may not be realized until we live there, we may want to consider avoiding?
  • The neighborhoods near Lancaster Airport -- is the Airport at all intrustive?
  • Do you consider route 722 a busy road? Would you consider buying a house located on it? Which sections (State Rd vs. Graystone Rd vs. Petersburg Rd vs. Valley Rd)
  • Manheim Township Community Park vs. Overlook vs. Lancaster Country Club -- which would you like to be closest to?
  • I've noticed a lot of the "nice" neighborhoods are missing sidewalks...is that a problem?
Finally, I realize that it may be difficult for us to make friends given our outsider/transplant status (my fiance is from Reading/Wyomissing...maybe that'll help...

Regardless, does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest ways to find an "in" to a group of friends. Sport Leagues? Country Clubs? Pool Memberships? Golf Courses? Maybe we'll have to wait until we have kids and let them do the "choosing"....
I don't know much about Manheim Township but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

-Route 722 is considered a main road, with speed limits varying from 35mph to 45mph. It's well maintained by the Township. I would consider buying a house on it, especially west of Fruitville Pike.
-The Airport won't be an issue. Mostly just small private aircraft activity.
-Don't sweat the lack of sidewalks. You do get used to it.
-I don't know what part of Manheim Township you're considering but you don't have to travel too far to find a shopping center in Lancaster County. East of Route 501 you have a fair number of stores along Route 272. West of 501 there are several south of 722 along Fruitville Pike. Park City, the largest in the area, is just west of Manheim Township.
-I've heard the residents of Mainheim Township are fairly friendly and more accepting of "outsiders" then Lititz is. I would consider a pool membership or joining the Rec Center and getting involved in your place of worship.

I hope this information helps alittle and others who know the Township better can be answer your specifics better. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 04-07-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
I have a good friend who was born into and raised in Manheim Township. Neighborhoods of all types and prices, sidewalks not a problem, you do get used to it. In some developments you find them on one side of the street only. Lots of developments along Fruitville Pike, Oregon Pike and Lititz Pike. Your price range will buy you a good chunk of real estate. There are all of the formula restaurants in/around Park City Mall and Manheim Pike (Route 72). It's an easy shot into the city for ball games, theatre and some cool restaurants. A good realtor may know if there is a newcomer's club to the area, but the Chamber or newspapers often list opportunities for ski clubs, bicycle riding clubs, friends of the arts, the humane league is a huge presence, friends of history, opportunities to volunteer at the many museums or cultural facilities. The airport is small, and flies commuter service to a few select cities. Your closest airport is Harrisburg, but flights are usually connections to larger airports. Convenience vs. cost is my determining factor when flying. Harrisburg airport is a dream compared to the nightmare of Baltimore or Philly. School district (along with Hempfield) is excellent, students offered lots in the way of courses, music and arts. Well supported tax base with commercial real estate, just remodeled high school to be state of the art 21st century. There are a multitude of golf courses, and getting yourself into a league through their programs should/would not be difficult. There are often deals for 2 for 1 after certain times of day, and a multitude of courses all over Lancaster and even in York, which is about a 25 minute drive. I'm not sure about country clubs or pools, I know that there are private membership pools, but don't know what their fees or criteria for joining might entail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania