Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,574 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
First time posting so here goes!
I've received a job offer in Pensacola and am considering relocating. Professionally, it'd be a great fit for me and would allow me to live comfortably. While I prioritize professional satisfaction, I'd still like to have a social life and have the opportunity to meet other young people. I've read many threads on this site and it seems most Pensacolans aren't too happy there, with many complaints stemming from the economic state of the region. The population is supposedly shrinking per Google which isn't a great sign. Admittedly, it was depressing reading all the negative reviews of Pensacola especially since I loved where I would be working.
The threads also comment that the large military presence is something to consider, though I'm not sure what that means. I've known military veterans and those in active duty and they don't seem to be much different than anyone else other than being generally politically conservative. I took a day to visit Pensacola and while it is a beautiful town to raise a family, it looked to be more a family or retiree town rather than a town with many single people.

Some info about myself:
Millennial white male from PA currently living in Philadelphia. Never lived in or have any connections to the South, but found everyone charming and welcoming.
I've lived in large cities for most of my adult life and understand that Pensacola is a small town and I may be in for a shock.
I'm secular and liberal, but I don't push my stance on others and get along with most people. I realize most Pensascolans are generally more conservative so it's possible my stance may be an issue to those I'd meet.
I'm not really a beach goer (I know, a sin to say in P-cola!), but I'd enjoy biking on that path by Pensacola beach. I'm physically active and would likely get back into tennis since there's a large tennis presence there.

I have another offer in a Chicago suburb which would be a good 2nd choice from a professional standpoint and a better choice from a social standpoint due to the relative size and proximity to a city.

I'd really love to take this job offer, but worried that I may leave after a year or two due to the geography. I've moved around a lot for education and work so really hoping to not having to do that again, otherwise I would've been open to stay for a year then leave if necessary. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 04:47 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
JMO... I really am not seeing anything in your post that says "Pensacola is for me!" I have moved around in the military for 27 years and everywhere I have been, its all about what you make of your current place. There is good in each place. I spent nearly 10 years since 1989 in the Navarre area (east of Pensacola) and it is my favorite. Good luck with your decision and your move if you choose to do so.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:10 AM

317 posts, read 825,777 times
I am a shade older, and from PA as well. Basically, I am underwhelmed by the area. If you're not into the beach, it's just another place small place on the map that will limit your growth. Raising a family here is becoming increasingly concerning. The local politics are such that they don't properly fund education or any human services for that matter. As a result school grades among the local counties continue to fall, because they can't retain quality teachers.

I am not sure of your profession, but I would think the shear mass of building a network in a major city might outweigh the short term gains of your preferred position in a small market with a very transient population?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 PM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
I'm curious if you've made your decision.

I'm a local in Pensacola but I've been researching my upcoming vacation in Chicago.

This is an interesting decision. But, my first thought is that if you're in Philly you might acclimate to your surroundings better in the Windy City.

But, it's not all bad here. This is a small town with larger city amenities because of the military and beach tourism. I didn't grow up here, so I say that after living in other areas including New England. Good food scene downtown, decent local music scene and tons of outdoor activity options.

Sometimes, the place is what you make it. So, you might just want to take the job you really want and go for it here.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 AM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
Just ran across this great piece published about Pensacola in Garden and Gun.

https://gardenandgun.com/slideshow/pensacola-rising/

Old 07-25-2018, 01:17 AM

38 posts, read 60,256 times
I have a special place for Chicago, the night life, diversity and family environment. So much to do for families.... Amazing restaurants and diners open at the wee hours of the night. There is always something to do. Concerts and festivals in the summer's really bring the community together. The lakes are beautiful and very clean, sometimes they will look green. Much nicer than the waters I have seen out here in California.

Chicago is also very conservative, but not 'Florida' conservative. There is a New York City feel without the chaos, and the suburbs are very peaceful. Sure, there is 'crime',but honestly. I have never encountered what the news shows. They keep downtown Chicago very clean and safe for tourist. As far as Florida, the beaches here are amazing but the sun is powerful and the waters are so salty, you will feel like you bathed in salt. The humidity ( esp in summer) is absolutely unbearable, myself coming from the mid west, I never adjusted to the weather. I felt like someone was choking me. At least at Lake Michigan I could enjoy a day at the beach

I suppose if you like solitude and long periods to yourself than maybe Northern Florida workout for you. Personally, I don't find Florida residents too open to outsiders, they do like to stick tight with their groups and social circles. Customer service wise, they are pretty good at it, I mean, tourism is their livelihood you'll definitely get good 'customer service' as far as extending themselves to outsiders, I wouldn't expect a big welcome. I mentioned on another thread, living in Florida was probably one of the loneliness periods of my life. Dont get me wrong, there where things I like ( schools, nature scenes, beaches). However, I now relocated to Silicon Valley( CA) and I just absolutely love the nature scene, people and environment. The people are so open and inviting and it's an exciting place to be career wise. My advice, you should feel excited and happy with where your moving and make sure you do like the people and connect with them, they will be part of your community and life.

That is just my personal experience/opinion. Most importantly, its all what you make of it no matter where you live..

Last edited by Foxlikestoplay; 07-25-2018 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 01:59 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10812 View Post
Hi everyone,
First time posting so here goes!
I've received a job offer in Pensacola and am considering relocating. Professionally, it'd be a great fit for me and would allow me to live comfortably. While I prioritize professional satisfaction, I'd still like to have a social life and have the opportunity to meet other young people. I've read many threads on this site and it seems most Pensacolans aren't too happy there, with many complaints stemming from the economic state of the region. The population is supposedly shrinking per Google which isn't a great sign. Admittedly, it was depressing reading all the negative reviews of Pensacola especially since I loved where I would be working.
The threads also comment that the large military presence is something to consider, though I'm not sure what that means. I've known military veterans and those in active duty and they don't seem to be much different than anyone else other than being generally politically conservative. I took a day to visit Pensacola and while it is a beautiful town to raise a family, it looked to be more a family or retiree town rather than a town with many single people.

Some info about myself:
Millennial white male from PA currently living in Philadelphia. Never lived in or have any connections to the South, but found everyone charming and welcoming.
I've lived in large cities for most of my adult life and understand that Pensacola is a small town and I may be in for a shock.
I'm secular and liberal, but I don't push my stance on others and get along with most people. I realize most Pensascolans are generally more conservative so it's possible my stance may be an issue to those I'd meet.
I'm not really a beach goer (I know, a sin to say in P-cola!), but I'd enjoy biking on that path by Pensacola beach. I'm physically active and would likely get back into tennis since there's a large tennis presence there.

I have another offer in a Chicago suburb which would be a good 2nd choice from a professional standpoint and a better choice from a social standpoint due to the relative size and proximity to a city.

I'd really love to take this job offer, but worried that I may leave after a year or two due to the geography. I've moved around a lot for education and work so really hoping to not having to do that again, otherwise I would've been open to stay for a year then leave if necessary. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The Florida Panhandle is generally very southern and family-oriented with a "Bible Belt" context. This means the odds of you finding a group of millenials to socialize with aren't very good. The millenials are now out-of-college and into the professional life. Chicago would be better. I knew millenials who left the FL Panhandle for Chicago. They were software engineers and IT professionals. One of them described the area as "dead" jokingly and looked forward to the big-city life of Chicago.

To be fair, there are people who fit perfectly into the FL Panhandle. They are most likely going to be southerners with multi-generational roots in the area and a college degree from one of the local "southern" universities: Alabama, FSU, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, etc. It's the SEC conference and FSU. They can get really condescending about the Big 10 conference - the "slow" conference compared to the SEC. I don't think you would like watching the football games with them (if at all).

If you really want to move to Florida, you would be much happier along the I-4 corridor which has many transplants from the Northeast. It has the beaches, theme parks, and large aggregation of millenials. The local FSU and UF graduates usually move en masse to the I-4 corridor after graduation.

In summary, I don't think you would like the "Bible Belt". You would probably be happier in the Big 10 "west" area of Chicago which likely has many Pennsylvania transplants as well. It's cold in the winter, but since you are from Pennsylvania you would likely be used to it. Pensacola is probably one of the most vulnerable cities to hurricanes. Google the track of Hurricane Ivan. I was on the far outskirts of that. It sucked.

As for me, I moved back to Phoenix, AZ and love it. You should check (1) dice.com and (2) indeed.com for other job options - cast a wide net. Interview by skype or webex.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 19,607 times
Iv'e lived in big and small towns during my 52 years, as of 2012 the Pensacola metro population was about 500,000 people, traffic is bad, cost of living is high - I pay $995 a month for a 1 bedroom. You can pay less if you live in a dump or not so nice neighborhood or in HUD housing maybe?? The roads are bad, the schools are bad, the crime rate is BAD, local government - questionable at best!! Good FT job opportunities are seriously lacking!! Also the 6 months out of the year - Hurricane Season, and the pesky Tornado's are bad as well..

Some good - plenty of shopping, restaurants and bars, and the beach and rivers if your into that. The town of Navarre and Navarre Beach is a very nice place, We go there often.

I made a big mistake moving here 3 years ago, we are diligently saving so we can move out west!!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:16 AM

35 posts, read 35,916 times
Don't come not worth your time. I am stuck here as well trying to get a Trade so I can move on. I just landed a full time job and it is a joke in town alot of work for crap pay and the people are happy to have it which means it will not change.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
A BIG No. You need to move further South in Florida or at least Jacksonville. I would suggest Tampa. More jobs and you have the beach nearby. But if you want more of a relaxed environment, yes Pensacola. But you stated liberal and not a fan of the beach. Thinking more about it, maybe Gainesville Florida or Orlando. They are inland and very liberal. Best of luck. BTW. I was bored when I was in that area near Destin. Great for vacation, but if you are use to city life, you will get bored quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola