Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,665 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional in my mid-late 20's wanting to move to pensacola. I currently live in Atlanta and have been here for some time but am wanting a change to a place a little smaller but still has things for my age group. I have friends who have moved to south florida but that is too expensive and far from family. Any advice on the area, the best place to live, stuff to do (like bars, clubs), the overall atmosphere for a young person.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times
What type of work are you interested in? The job market in P'cola isn't the best right now, as the economy has really hurt alot of businesses.

If you have a good savings and can live for 6 months (possibly a year) without finding a job, then I would say go for it. If not, you might want to stay in ATL until the economy improves.

Besides the economic issues, P'cola is a great place to live. Although, it is very southern, and still has a small town feel. Getting a job in P'cola can sometimes be who you know and not what you know. If you know someone who is an alumni from your school and lives in P'cola (high school or college), you might want to contact them and let them know that you're interested in moving to the area, etc. College career services offices track this information and can give it to you if you are interested in pursuing a career in P'cola.

The scene is mostly about drinking and going to the beach. This also includes going to the river, tubing, hanging out, shooting pool, etc. P'cola isn't much of a spring break mecca, as that is more Panama City and FWB / Destin. Alot of ppl. go to P'cola Beach on the weekend and hang out at the Sandshaker - P'cola is famous for it's Bushwacker drink (much like a mudslide), and there's even a Bushwacker festival!

If you like surfing, swimming, diving, boating, eating seafood, fishing, hanging out, drinking, etc. you'll be fine in P'cola. But, if you're looking for more of a metropolitan scene, P'cola isn't the place. It's more like Key West than any other city I can think of in Florida. Very old school, but lots of fun. I'm not a fan of big cities, so I really like P'cola, but if you're more of a city mouse, you might want to look to South Florida, even if it's more expensive.

Best of luck

Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
There's a lot of flight among the 20-29 year old professionals trying to get out of Pensacola right now because of concerns over job quality and lack of interesting things to do outside the usual beach stuff.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 11,665 times
Thanks for the advice.

I have a possible job opt that I am working on currently. So I have my fingers crossed for that to happen soon. I also love the key west area and am really looking for that type of chill atmosphere although I love to go out and love what Atlanta has to offer as far as the clubs, bar scene. It gets a little old and really I'm not looking for all the time partying, been there done that

What is the best area to live in? and affordability? I have been looking in the downtown area around the historic buildings and stuff. I am wanting to be in the heart of everything where I can meet new people and enjoy what pcola has to offer.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times
P'cola has a lot of great sections. You have to be careful with some of the historical neighborhoods, b/c they can border on some unsafe sections. But, downtown P'cola is really beautiful. If you're looking on Craigslist it'll be listed as "Downtown Pensacola or Historic Seville". Historic neighborhoods like East Hill and North Hill are also really nice and affordable. Here's a loft in East Hill from Craigslist: ARTIST LOFT - EAST HILL (http://pensacola.craigslist.org/apa/1054894164.html - broken link)

There are townhouses and apartments along Scenic Hwy, which is a really pretty stretch of road that follows the bay. If you can afford to live in Pensacola Beach, it's got its own little community, but is farther away from downtown P'cola (by about 15-20 minutes, and you have to cross two bridges). Also, Gulf Breeze is a really nice town, too. It sits between P'cola Beach and P'cola proper. Don't go for Milton, Navarre, or Crestview - they're too far out of the way.

Feel free to DM me if you need any additional info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola