Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene1124 View Post
I wasn't sure whether to go in the genealogy forum or here, but how would you find out how someone died?

My ex-girlfriend's dad died 7 years ago. He was like a second father to me, though. Unfortunately, we had kinda lost contact when me and my girlfriend had gone our separate ways.

I was looking at an obituary for an old family friend of mine a few days ago when I found out that he had died in 2006. He was always a healthy, nice guy and hadn't even reached his 40s when he died, so it really makes me wonder what happened. It's been gnawing at my mind since I discovered it last week, so I finally decided to do some research (without success, unfortunately)...

I would ask his family, but as I said earlier, we aren't exactly close to each other anymore...

So is there any way to discover a cause of death? It only states in the obituary that he "died at home," whatever that could suggest, and the closest things to death records that I've come across are on Ancestry.com and Archives.com. I don't need any SSN info or any other sensitive info like that, I'd really just like to know how he died.

I guess information like this isn't meant to reach non-family members like myself that easily, but it really would be nice. Thank you!
Years ago, when I had a similar question about my grandfather, I contacted the vital statistics dept. where he died. Received the info I was looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM

29 posts, read 66,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumfisics View Post
I can't find anything about what happened or where it happened, so I cant even visit his grave.
There are two free websites you could try. Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and BillionGraves | Cemetery & Headstone Records

Maybe your friend might be listed there.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 23,089 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure whether to go in the genealogy forum or here, but how would you find out how someone died?

My ex-girlfriend's dad died 7 years ago. He was like a second father to me, though. Unfortunately, we had kinda lost contact when me and my girlfriend had gone our separate ways.

I was looking at an obituary for an old family friend of mine a few days ago when I found out that he had died in 2006. He was always a healthy, nice guy and hadn't even reached his 40s when he died, so it really makes me wonder what happened. It's been gnawing at my mind since I discovered it last week, so I finally decided to do some research (without success, unfortunately)...

I would ask his family, but as I said earlier, we aren't exactly close to each other anymore...

So is there any way to discover a cause of death? It only states in the obituary that he "died at home," whatever that could suggest, and the closest things to death records that I've come across are on Ancestry.com and Archives.com. I don't need any SSN info or any other sensitive info like that, I'd really just like to know how he died.

I guess information like this isn't meant to reach non-family members like myself that easily, but it really would be nice. Thank you!
Actually coroner records are made public, for example in allegheny county they are housed at Pitt Library..check you county..to find out if the same

Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 23,308 times
Default Cause of Death

See if you can find an obituary as they sometimes show the cause of death. Legacy.com is one source and just putting his name and where he lived in the URL address line is another.

Quote:

Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
In most states, you can get an informational death certificate simply by requesting one and paying the fee. A certified copy, however, is usually only available to immediate family or the estate's executor. Check the government website for the city/town in which he died for more info.
^^^Yes that is correct and what I've done. Look up the State's Vital Statistics Dept and fill in the requested information, send the money requested for a copy, then wait about 30 days and voila' it arrives by postal service. Some I had to check off on the form if I was a relative, and I just checked it. They don't verify the information.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 24,830 times
Default Obit

Quote:

Since your post is from 13' I imagine you have found out already but for others and in case you have not , If your Lucky it might say in the Obit. something like " In
Lieu of flowers please send Donations to the American Cancer Foundation" or some other Charity that's how or what made me realize my Friend died of Cancer.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 22,680 times
Unhappy How to find Info relating to a persons death?

Just recently I found out a high school friend died in 2009 and was trying to find an article or something with information about how he died. Tried looking through archives of my local newspaper with no luck, not sure if you have to pay in order to view archives.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Family members normally provide the text for obituaries. They may state the cause of death and others the cause will not be published due to privacy for family and close friends.

If you desire help to possibly locate your friends cause of death just reach out to someone here on the forum.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 21,796 times
If it's a suicide or even an unintentional death (and not an expected hospice) that occurred at home, a police report is normally made, at least in many states.
Now the problem is that it may, or may not, be listed as a suicide and it often depends on the person and who their relatives are. If he/she was related to a politician, police officer or other such person, they may bury (no pun ntended) the report (or re-label it as an injury report) to keep it from the news media even though it's considered public knowledge.
How do I know this? Because as a police officer I saw this happen. It's frustrating for people not in the inner circle to be unable to find out cause of death of someone without feeling like a jerk. I also had this happen and felt this same way.
But by looking on FB and seeing if there's any public information or people that appear to be close enough to know what happened, you can try messaging them and take your chances. If anyone else knows if a coroner will give out that info to certain people, because usually an autopsy is done as well, that's another route. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to find out but it really can be.

Last edited by Operadog; 07-02-2017 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operadog View Post
If it's a suicide or even an unintentional death (and not an expected hospice) that occurred at home, a police report is normally made, at least in many states.
Now the problem is that it may, or may not, be listed as a suicide and it often depends on the person and who their relatives are. If he/she was related to a politician, police officer or other such person, they may bury (no pun ntended) the report (or re-label it as an injury report) to keep it from the news media even though it's considered public knowledge.
How do I know this? Because as a police officer I saw this happen. It's frustrating for people not in the inner circle to be unable to find out cause of death of someone without feeling like a jerk. I also had this happen and felt this same way.
But by looking on FB and seeing if there's any public information or people that appear to be close enough to know what happened, you can try messaging them and take your chances. If anyone else knows if a coroner will give out that info to certain people, because usually an autopsy is done as well, that's another route. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to find out but it really can be.
These days a lot of records can be gotten via Freedom of information act (FOIA). Every state has their own laws. Google it with the state to find the site. NY is pretty easy to request FOIA. I tried to get the file for a doe case I advocate for, was denied due to HIPAA. I'm going to try to request photos next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search