Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 48,709 times

Advertisements

Hi - I need some advice. We have received forclosure papers and I'm not sure how to handle this in the best way. The attorney for the bank says the bank will make payment arrangements with me. The bank says we have to have $5600 - we can only give them $4000 right now. We can make the difference up in a couple of weeks, but they wont even take what we have. We can get this all caught up - I know we can - but we need time.

Here's what happened - I lost my job in the summer. Am back to work. I just need time to catch up on everything. We are 90 days behind. But they are counting this month against us too. So they want 4 months of payments.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect? What kind of payment arrangements would be reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
Hi - I need some advice. We have received forclosure papers and I'm not sure how to handle this in the best way. The attorney for the bank says the bank will make payment arrangements with me. The bank says we have to have $5600 - we can only give them $4000 right now. We can make the difference up in a couple of weeks, but they wont even take what we have. We can get this all caught up - I know we can - but we need time.

Here's what happened - I lost my job in the summer. Am back to work. I just need time to catch up on everything. We are 90 days behind. But they are counting this month against us too. So they want 4 months of payments.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect? What kind of payment arrangements would be reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Whats the value of the home?
Whats the balance on the mortgage?
Are you in a position to refinance?
Who stated they wont take $4,000 to show good effort?
If you give them $4,000, how long would it take to come up with the balance?

With $4,000 payment, that would surely be enough to show the bank your serious about curing the default. Right now they do not want to be forclosing against properties, so cash in hand, willing to work with them is the first step.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 AM

20 posts, read 48,709 times
the value of the house is probably around 325K with a balance of 303K (we refinanced last year and had some major repairs to do)

Is refinancing even a consideration with late on the mortgage like this? I hadn't even considered it.

The person on the phone at GMAC said they won't accept less then 5600. I can come up with the 5600 in a couple of weeks, but that is only half of what we're behind. Then, they said "maybe" they can roll the other half into the mortgage for the next 12 months.

I thought calling to give them 4K would be a good start...and so did their attorney who directed me to call them directly. I guess if I make a payment arrangement through the attorney rather then the company I would end up with more fees. So he said to deal with them directly if we're able to.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,895 times
Shortcake,

I advise you register and read up:

Stop Foreclosure and Loan Modification Help Forum- Stop Foreclosure Today! - Powered by vBulletin

Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
I'd be tempted to mail in the $4k. Worse they can do is send it back. But if they take it, you're not 90 days behind anymore.

Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? I'm a huge fan. I know, not everyone likes him. He's a fun killer, LOL, but he makes sense. You can call his show and ask his opinion. Maybe he's got an idea. Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

I'd also check into a re-fi too. If this is the worse it's been and your credit was good before this, a good mortgage broker may be able to help you out.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
Contact your local tv/newspaper for help. Businesses/banks do not want bad publicity.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Contact your local tv/newspaper for help. Businesses/banks do not want bad publicity.
? Um.. ok, that'll do it..

Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
the value of the house is probably around 325K with a balance of 303K (we refinanced last year and had some major repairs to do)

Is refinancing even a consideration with late on the mortgage like this? I hadn't even considered it.

The person on the phone at GMAC said they won't accept less then 5600. I can come up with the 5600 in a couple of weeks, but that is only half of what we're behind. Then, they said "maybe" they can roll the other half into the mortgage for the next 12 months.

I thought calling to give them 4K would be a good start...and so did their attorney who directed me to call them directly. I guess if I make a payment arrangement through the attorney rather then the company I would end up with more fees. So he said to deal with them directly if we're able to.
If your $11K behind, I would call the lawyer directly and try to deal with him. Get everything in writing. Their lawyer would be able to negotiate a $4K down payment, with a payment arrangement.

The individual you called on the phone is only authorized to do so much.

I dont think I'd just blindly start to send $4K though.. Nothing says how the bank will apply that, what if they claim $4K in legal fees to date, and your still in the whole with payments?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'd be tempted to mail in the $4k. Worse they can do is send it back. But if they take it, you're not 90 days behind anymore.

Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? I'm a huge fan. I know, not everyone likes him. He's a fun killer, LOL, but he makes sense. You can call his show and ask his opinion. Maybe he's got an idea. Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

I'd also check into a re-fi too. If this is the worse it's been and your credit was good before this, a good mortgage broker may be able to help you out.
No, the worse the bank can do is claim that they've spent $4K in legal fees, and the OP just pissed $4K away because they will still be in default 90 days.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,560,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If your $11K behind, I would call the lawyer directly and try to deal with him. Get everything in writing. Their lawyer would be able to negotiate a $4K down payment, with a payment arrangement.

The individual you called on the phone is only authorized to do so much.

I dont think I'd just blindly start to send $4K though.. Nothing says how the bank will apply that, what if they claim $4K in legal fees to date, and your still in the whole with payments?

Get your own lawyer to make that call.

At most it would be an hour of work that a legitimate lawyer would charge. Then depending on the outcome of that call you can determine if you want to go it on your own or use the professional services of a laywer.

Not something to mess around with on your own if you want to save the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance