Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 AM

354 posts, read 281,402 times

Advertisements

The Simple Path to Wealth by J L Collins.

Everything in the book, and more, is also available on his site: https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Now the worst book I ever read is a tossup between Rich Dad Poor Dad and Why the Rich are Getting Richer, both by the same author. Our library had both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 569 times
Matthew Ledvina is an avid reader who completes reads Finance books at least 50 books a year and listens to audiobooks on numerous topics every day.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My vote is for The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. It covers a broad range of investing and personal finance topics. You can get more detailed information from other books on a specific topic, but Tobias is the book to go to for your introduction to this information.
I like him, too! I also liked "The Millionaire next Door"; I'm one of those people. I once told a trusted friend my net worth and she threw back her head and laughed! I don't look the part and that's just fine with me.

There are really two categories of books here: one is the "mindset" category such as "The Millionaire Next Door" which helps you set priorities, live below your means, etc. The other is on how to invest your money as you accumulate it. My advice is to go to a bookstore or the public library and find books that resonate with YOU. I love the "Dummies" series (e.g. "Investing for Dummies")- they assume no pre-knowledge, they're clearly-written and they have a sense of humor. Apply your common sense and know what fits your style. I have zero interest in buying property and becoming a landlord although many people have become wealthy that way. I've done fine owning only a primary residence. Some authors, most notably Dave Ramsey, are in the "all credit cards are evil" camp. Some people are best off following that advice, especially if they're trying to pay off large credit card debts right now. I like my credit card perks and never carry a balance. I have never read Benjamin Graham's book but it sure as heck worked for Warren Buffet.

So, it's partly what works for you.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 PM

962 posts, read 613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My ONLY personal finance book back in the day was "Wealth Without Risk" by Charles Givens. I got lots of good tips from that.
Yessir! This is the book that started it all for me.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewledvina View Post
Matthew Ledvina is an avid reader who completes reads Finance books at least 50 books a year and listens to audiobooks on numerous topics every day.
Jimmy likes it.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Do any of these books also focus on things like insurance, trusts, tax planning and/or estate planning? Or are they mostly focused on investments and budgeting?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 AM

935 posts, read 3,449,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Amazon.com: Making the Most of Your Money Now: The Classic…

Jane Bryant Quinn is straight forward and concise. There's no woo-woo psychobabble crap in it.

Also, for beginners I always suggest The Wealthy Barber.
Amazon.com: The Wealthy Barber, Updated 3rd Edition: Everyone's Commonsense Guide to Becoming…
I skimmed part of the 10 page introduction and listed to part of the audio book. Does he ever get around to talking about money? On the surface, this feels like a memoir.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:00 PM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times
My check book!

Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,969,419 times
Mine have already been mentioned, but I'd like to second Making the Most of Your Money by Jane Bryant Quinn. I bought the first version in the 1980s when I was in my late 20s and it gave me the tools and philosophy that I still use today. She helped me get from basically nothing to very comfortable 30 years later. Just sound, sensible long-term advice.

The other two books I love are The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need and The Millionaire Next Door

Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
7 Laws of Money, Phillips, michael. 1974 1st ed.
The long version is about 40 pages. The short version 1 page. The real short version is 7 enlightenments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance