Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.
I've been thinking of retirement since I was in High School. Its best to start at age 18.

You still need to save for emergencies, health especially, disability (god forbibs). What do we know about the future? Wouldn't you rather have a safe haven to fall back on when you are older?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You still need to save for emergencies, health especially, disability (god forbibs). What do we know about the future? Wouldn't you rather have a safe haven to fall back on when you are older?
I'm just talking about retirement savings, e.g., 401(k), IRA, etc not other forms of savings (i.e., having an emergency fund). If one becomes disabled, they can receive disability.

I can't think of any reason why I'd want a "safe haven" in terms of a 401(k), etc when I'm older.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Umm, I personally don't think I am going to live that long, but I would like to at least break even.

I have had elderly parents and can tell you stories of Alzheimer's dementia and lockdown (father) and Depends that don't work as well as you'd hope (mother).

No, I don't worry too much about this (well, not true, but the future doesn't look real promising). Plus, with the rate this country is going, do you honestly think there is much to look forward to?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I'm just talking about retirement savings, e.g., 401(k), IRA, etc not other forms of savings (i.e., having an emergency fund). If one becomes disabled, they can receive disability.

I can't think of any reason why I'd want a "safe haven" in terms of a 401(k), etc when I'm older.
Lot of folks don't even know what 401K and IRA is. Some think its a scam and lot of them don't want to take the risk. They really need to educate themselves and stop being ignorant about it.

You want to work pass the age of 60? Well some do want to continue working and they enjoy what they do. You still have to look at the health concerns also. Life span is now getting higher and higher and every year so I would plan to live around 110.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Lot of folks don't even know what 401K and IRA is. Some think its a scam and lot of them don't want to take the risk. They really need to educate themselves and stop being ignorant about it.

You want to work pass the age of 60? Well some do want to continue working and they enjoy what they do. You still have to look at the health concerns also. Life span is now getting higher and higher and every year so I would plan to live around 110.
Oh, come on. With the Barack Obama death panels?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
My Dad went blind when he was 60, despite taking care of his eyes. He did everything he could to prevent it, but medical science still can't fix a lot of things.

And with the 80-hour work week required by both my family's employers in very high-stress jobs (no paid overtime), we are already battling several health problems that we would not have, given a survivable job.

The jobs that people actually enjoy will eventually be known as "volunteer" jobs. The lack of jobs and oversupply of labor in our economy means the end of the Middle Class, government is hastening this end by refusing to stop immigration and preventing the states from doing so, and by wiping out employer-subsidized health insurance via Obamacare.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
My Dad went blind when he was 60, despite taking care of his eyes. He did everything he could to prevent it, but medical science still can't fix a lot of things.

And with the 80-hour work week required by both my family's employers in very high-stress jobs (no paid overtime), we are already battling several health problems that we would not have, given a survivable job.

The jobs that people actually enjoy will eventually be known as "volunteer" jobs. The lack of jobs and oversupply of labor in our economy means the end of the Middle Class, government is hastening this end by refusing to stop immigration and preventing the states from doing so, and by wiping out employer-subsidized health insurance via Obamacare.
#1, we need Obamacare. Maybe your parents or you are already subsidized by socialized medicine, dare I say? I assume your father is (not that I have any issue with this, but let's be honest about what is socialized medicine here). Blindness is a disability and qualifies for government (socialized) medicine. Guess what, what is good for one is good for all!

As for volunteering, yeah, I have two of those jobs.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You want to work pass the age of 60? Well some do want to continue working and they enjoy what they do. You still have to look at the health concerns also.
I see no reason why I'd want to stop working at 60, serious health issues are dealt with by having health insurance and applying for disability if you do become disabled. Disability can occur at any point in your life.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Umm, I personally don't think I am going to live that long, but I would like to at least break even.

I have had elderly parents and can tell you stories of Alzheimer's dementia and lockdown (father) and Depends that don't work as well as you'd hope (mother).

No, I don't worry too much about this (well, not true, but the future doesn't look real promising). Plus, with the rate this country is going, do you honestly think there is much to look forward to?
How do you know you won't live that long? What 'if you do?

Why do you think the future is not promising?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance