Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain LB View Post
I'm not baiting. I'm not bitter. I'm opening up peoples' eyes. Demonstrating Why people do certain things. Under Capitalism it's invariably about the burning desire to showoff because of personal inadequacies.

Worked harder? I Have. Or rather Had. Through frugality and saving, and putting my money to work for me I'm Financially Independent and no longer work (beyond fulfilling personal obligations, that is).
So you could say that I'm one of the unique and lucky ones (but instead you'll probably damn me because I can't get laid, but that's an irrelevant point and is based upon 2015 American society and what sweet Capitalism has done to their minds).

If I am bitter it is SelfLess and on the behalf of the masses in America who are perpetually screwed financially, trapped in wage-slave loops. Though if I were honest with myself I'd say they only have themselves to blame for sucking down commercials so seriously and not thinking first before spending.
You could say that I feel sorry for them. In much the same way I feel sorry for the weak-minded people who are entrapped in mind-prison religions. The thing is, both have a means of destroying the world in their own way. I can't help but face the fact that I happen to live on the same planet as them, though not necessarily in the same reality... So letting these people just be and do their own things is counter-productive, like allowing a fire or plague to spread out of control. I mean, the very Least I can do is...type about it!

And the upper middle class and rich people I know have a different definition of "work their asses off."
My rich neighbors, for instance, would not be caught dead caring for their own lawns. That's Peasant Work! They are (English-wanna-be) Lords! Their "work" is playing with spreadsheets on their computer screens while watching the illegal aliens from the landscaping services trim their lawns, at least once every week. I will of course precipitate the response to this, since I get it every time I type it, about how it's more efficient for them to pay others to do this demanding physical work and how they make more money minding their money... Like that justifies wasteful fields of non-standard green fields of poison (insecticide and fertilizer laced which kills wildlife and soaks up fuel, water, and resouces) which amounts to up to 40 Billion Dollars annually wasted in America... Yes, I'm a member of the Anti-Lawn Movement, too.

Weren't you ranting in another thread somewhere that you got laid off, couldn't get a date, or something to that effect? How did you suddenly become independently wealthy and don't have to work any longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 28,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Weren't you ranting in another thread somewhere that you got laid off, couldn't get a date, or something to that effect? How did you suddenly become independently wealthy and don't have to work any longer?
Yup. I got laid off/fired in 2008. Haven't been able to get a date since. Financially independent in-between.
Happy now?

The reason I Can't get a date is logically tied-up in this whole mess of 21st Century American values.
I live in a moderate house with an all-natural yard. I'm surrounded by McMansions with all the trappings: in-ground swimming pools, mucho expensive cars, chandeliers, manicured English lawns, maid service... Now just guess who you think gets all the respect and guess who gets crapped up?
Of course I Could move and buy a McMansion of my own, but that would be pointless, wasteful, and going against my own values.
Image over Substance is what this country is all about now, even if you "do the right things" for the right reasons. It's in turn what Right Wing Authoritarianism preaches, and another way of putting that is Mafia Values.
You're judged and treated by others based on how big and expensive a car you drive. That's it PERIOD.
You could be a frigging serial killer or a Bernie Madoff scam artist and Still be respected, admired, and looked up to IF YOU LOOK IT.
I unfortunately don't participate in this sleazy game. So, again, I can't get laid.
But I'm a solid human being and nobody's going to take that away from me, even if I have to go to the grave without a woman.
Man, that sounds...pathetic...

Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
A lot of people are obsessed with money... or the number in their account. When I drive, I want to enjoy it. I want comfortable seats, great sound, and a smooth ride while I tow my boat to the shore. A big number in my bank account isn't going to improve the quality of life. There's diminishing returns with disposable income.

So when you ask how can people afford cars that cost more than $50k, it's because they've been successful enough to save enough and value their quality of life.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,573 times
Love me a nice Blue slightly used Lexus ES....yummy. ~25K

Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain LB View Post
Yup. I got laid off/fired in 2008. Haven't been able to get a date since. Financially independent in-between.
Happy now?

The reason I Can't get a date is logically tied-up in this whole mess of 21st Century American values.
I live in a moderate house with an all-natural yard. I'm surrounded by McMansions with all the trappings: in-ground swimming pools, mucho expensive cars, chandeliers, manicured English lawns, maid service... Now just guess who you think gets all the respect and guess who gets crapped up?
Of course I Could move and buy a McMansion of my own, but that would be pointless, wasteful, and going against my own values.
Image over Substance is what this country is all about now, even if you "do the right things" for the right reasons. It's in turn what Right Wing Authoritarianism preaches, and another way of putting that is Mafia Values.
You're judged and treated by others based on how big and expensive a car you drive. That's it PERIOD.
You could be a frigging serial killer or a Bernie Madoff scam artist and Still be respected, admired, and looked up to IF YOU LOOK IT.
I unfortunately don't participate in this sleazy game. So, again, I can't get laid.
But I'm a solid human being and nobody's going to take that away from me, even if I have to go to the grave without a woman.
Man, that sounds...pathetic...
Yeah, I don't think your house is the problem.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A lot of people are obsessed with money... or the number in their account. When I drive, I want to enjoy it. I want comfortable seats, great sound, and a smooth ride while I tow my boat to the shore. A big number in my bank account isn't going to improve the quality of life. There's diminishing returns with disposable income.

So when you ask how can people afford cars that cost more than $50k, it's because they've been successful enough to save enough and value their quality of life.
Most people are obsessed with not having enough money. Wait until you hit your mid-50's and are staring the reality of your retirement cash flow in the face. $24K/year 401(k) catch-up and zeroing out your mortgage is suddenly far more important than driving a flashy car.

I pay cash for my cars. It keeps me from buying too much car. My last car loan was more than 20 years ago. In March, I showed up at the dealership with a $24K bank check and my trade and drove away with a new car. 7 or 8 years from now after Vermont road salt has made it iffy to keep my car, I'll do it again.

Most people who drive $50K+ cars lease them or at least have big car loans. They're not saving to buy their cars. They're flipping their current leased car or car that still has an outstanding loan into their next new car.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
I'm now into retirement..but throughout my life I always found far too many driving cars for show..many couldn't really afford it..BUT IMAGE was more important than thinking about what comes next? in their little minds.

I had nothing against anyone who could afford it..because they could..but learned very quickly the facade when that was being portrayed....For my self..I was never impressed with a nice car ( the person driving it) but always appreciated the car (Not the person!!)..So reserved all judgement on the person..as time will tell was my motto..

I was and still am independent ( something many men found intimidating) which was a turn off for many ( which I said..Good riddance)..I am and never was a needy person..so nice car's although nice doesn't make any difference to me!!

Am I a dying breed?? Sometimes I believe that true

Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Most people are obsessed with not having enough money. Wait until you hit your mid-50's and are staring the reality of your retirement cash flow in the face. $24K/year 401(k) catch-up and zeroing out your mortgage is suddenly far more important than driving a flashy car.
I've never heard of anyone being obsessed with not having enough money. Maybe that's common around your family and friends, but it's not the general philosophy of people.

I have a long way to go between now and 50. My residual income is increasing at a faster rate than my earned income. I probably won't have the option to contribute to a 401k by the time I'm 50 because you can only contribute earned income.

Why would you wait until 50 to zero out your mortgage? If you kept upgrading your home, you can downsize when you are 50, if you can't take care of the large home anymore. Most people rather travel than live in a million dollar home at 50.

Frankly, I don't see how any of this has to do with having a car that is comfortable as you drive to the shore while towing a boat. If you have concerns about money, make more money.
Quote:

I pay cash for my cars. It keeps me from buying too much car. My last car loan was more than 20 years ago. In March, I showed up at the dealership with a $24K bank check and my trade and drove away with a new car. 7 or 8 years from now after Vermont road salt has made it iffy to keep my car, I'll do it again.
I think I understand a little more. You lack self-control and your way of keeping yourself from purchasing a new car is by paying cash. I personally don't have that issue and can finance the purchase without the same concern.
Quote:

Most people who drive $50K+ cars lease them or at least have big car loans. They're not saving to buy their cars. They're flipping their current leased car or car that still has an outstanding loan into their next new car.
I don't know what most people do, but I purchased my car.... used.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
The funny thing (actually not funny at all) is that $50K isn't what it used to be in the auto industry. Heck have you seen the prices on new Toyota's, Honda's etc. it's ridiculous. I enjoy luxury cars as much as the next guy & I've owned my share of them from new & used. I will say this I will not buy a brand new one again- maybe new used like a 2 yr old with low miles. When I was young & single it was the thing to do to have a hot car but now that I'm older & married have different wants for my money.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:15 PM

97 posts, read 152,489 times
What kind of car only cost $50,000? A 10 year old beater?

Even the crappy Maserati Ghibli has a base price of $70,000. I currently drive the Maserati GranTurismo MC. It is a decent car, but nothing compared to the Bugatti Veyron. Now that is a nice car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance