Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
RFID wallets or card covers should help prevent someone from stealing your card info. Also my understanding is that the credit cards with chips on them
Will help as well.
Chips are superior to RFID cards. Too many wireless skimmers these days. (I even saw a key fob skimmer on the midday news today!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
I just had $1500.00 spent on my debit card at a Sears/Kmart and it's pretty frustrating, considering I only had a few hundred in my account. I don't know how anyone could have gotten away with that high of a purchase on a debit card, unless they somehow got my pin. The last place I used it before that was a Maverik gas station and I can't remember if I had to put my pin or my zip code in, but either way, this system needs to change. No one should be able to use a debit card without the card present and without a pin in my opinion. But I just don't get how this is happening. I guess I need to listen to all of you and just use a credit card from now on. It's just convenient to have it all taken directly out of my checking account. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the money back once I fill out the appropriate forms?

Old 01-16-2017, 01:41 PM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
they once got my pin and account numbers right through the banking system .

i use a debit card to get my direct deposited pay check out and only use it in the bank lobby .

they took 500 bucks out . i would never use a debit card anywhere else , only credit cards.

this info comes from all different sources not just you using it .

fidelity found my wife's fidelity account number and pin for sale on an underground site fidelity's hackers infiltrated .

she never logs in so it came from elsewhere .

Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Someone recently managed to set up a recurring charge for a Netflix account on one of my checking accounts. This is an account where I have literally NEVER used the associated debit card (except once at the bank branch to make sure it worked). So even never using your card at all doesn't offer 100% protection.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,778 times
How much is charged to the business once a credit card, and debit card is swiped?

4% for the credit card?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 923 times
so if someone has my bank card number and they used it online cant he banks tell my the ip address of the person who used my card?

Old 03-28-2018, 02:41 AM

most of the time if the vendor does not take part in an internet protection package from the card issuer they just back charge the vendor for doing a sale with no card present .

many times it does not pay to have to pay an extra percentage on every sale to cover an occasional loss so the vendor eats it not the bank most of the time . .

at work we would get hit every so often for a few thousand but in the scheme of things it was a tiny amount compared to what we would pay in extra fees on every single transaction , not just internet if we wanted phone and internet sales protection . .

bad guys usually use public computers to do bad guy things .

so basically it is the vendor who gets stuck not the credit card company . they are very strict about liability being on you if you are taking sales with no card present

Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
How much is charged to the business once a credit card, and debit card is swiped?

4% for the credit card?
we paid about 2.70% but that is with out purchasing the internet and phone sale protection package. you as the vendor are not protected unless the card is present .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance