Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,801,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Student loan debt is forgiven/wiped out in this particular scenario, it states this on the loan papers, co-signer or not. My daughter passed away during her second semester of college, and the loans were completely forgiven. As it should be.
it doesnt seem like that was the case with this loan.

im not really sure why they should be forgiven. money was taken and spent. if its in the contract that the loan would be wiped out if the student passes away, then it must be forgiven. but if its not in writing, then i dont see why it shouldnt be paid back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,508,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Not necessarily. A successful worker needs to do more than possess the theoretical knowledge of the field. He needs to get to work every day on time, cooperate with co-workers, file reports on projects or activities, even punch a time clock, which are not necessarily things that a Aspie can grasp the importance of, and form the habit of consistently carrying out without disrupting the workplace.

Think of yourself as an employer. Would an aspie fit into every job category in your shop? What if the boss is a stickler for having everything done by process and flow chart, and he has an Aspie who analyzes the task and finishes the project his own way, quicker and more efficiently than the routine that fits most worker, and doesn't see the importance of leaving a paper trail of how he got there, which he retains in his head.

Aspies are notoriously poor self-starters. They are not gifted at guessing what you want done, so they have to wait until you tell them, very exactly and specifically, what you want them to do and how you want them to do it. That works fine in the academic world, but it is not what employers are looking for in the corporate empires.
The underlined and the bolded statements kinda contradict with each other. If someone isn't great at guessing what you want done, isn't it a good idea to tell them exactly how the task should be done instead of, say, crossing your fingers? Also, don't most corporations want someone to follow a prescribed set of instructions for completing projects rather than accomplishing them using their own creative approach. In that case, there's no guessing of what the boss wants done.

It seems work most bosses hand you will either

1) Require specific directions explained to you.

2) Do not have specific directions but you are specifically given the freedom on the approach as long as the task is completed.

3) Handed to you with no specific directions or rules.

In the 3rd case, you simply ask what are the constraints on completing the project. (As the old adage says, "if you're not sure, ASK.")

Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,123,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
recently there was a case where a parent co signed for the student loans of their child and either during or after school, the child passed away. the parent was trying to get out of payment and got publicity and ultimately i believe the bank gave in. i found that very offensive also. i understand that the situation for the parent is a terrible one. just losing your child is terrible and being stuck with the bills piles on the injury. but ultimately, the child took the money and the parent signed off on the loan. the money was spent and services were received. why is the bank obligated to take a hit on that?
I tend to agree. That's what life insurance is for and my parents had a policy on me when I was in college and now I have one for myself as an adult so that if something happened to me that money would be paid back. I really can't think of any situation where I feel it's okay to get a free pass on money you agreed to pay back. That's the problem with the whole system.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM

500 posts, read 573,558 times
It's too easy to get a loan for education. Basically anyone who can get into a school can get a loan. And since the school isn't responsible for the debt, for-profit schools keep popping up to take advantage of this.

Now if you ran a school and were personally responsible for any debt your students incur, you would take someone who is 60 years old and has a disability that prevents them from working? Of course not.

What they should do is make Colleges responsible for lending some of the money students must borrow. They have these giant endowments which they try to invest into stocks -- why not invest in your own students? If this happened, schools would make sure that they weren't turning out too many useless degrees and that only qualified students could borrow. They would also make more of an effort at job placement for their graduates.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM

75 posts, read 282,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My first few years of work were filled with lessons learned the hard way due to my difficulties with social interactions. I eventually started taking notes on how my popular co-workers behaved and tried to behave like them. My work persona is fake, fake, fake. It's all a show. But it's a mask I have to put on in order to deal with an environment that is much more difficult for me to cope with than for others. It can be done but it's not easy, for sure.
It may be possible for you personally, but not everyone has your precise level of a specific disability. It's not at all difficult to imagine a possible scenario in which an Asperger's patient could not function at all in a work environment. Have you considered that there are instances in which the situation is so severe, it could be competely debilitating in the social sense? You may wish to argue that the person should still be able to find a way to gain employment--and keep it--but this is impossible to know for certain unless you are completely aware of his or her situation. People are very different, and there are always the outliers who truly have problems.

Perhaps a better method of loan attainment would have helped everyone in this situation, and this case should definitely lead to some changes in how loans are so simply marketed to financially illiterate students. Additional accommodations could also have helped in her case, but if she is incapable of working regardless, not much could be done.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 PM

689 posts, read 2,167,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
The underlined and the bolded statements kinda contradict with each other. If someone isn't great at guessing what you want done, isn't it a good idea to tell them exactly how the task should be done instead of, say, crossing your fingers? Also, don't most corporations want someone to follow a prescribed set of instructions for completing projects rather than accomplishing them using their own creative approach. In that case, there's no guessing of what the boss wants done.

It seems work most bosses hand you will either

1) Require specific directions explained to you.

2) Do not have specific directions but you are specifically given the freedom on the approach as long as the task is completed.

3) Handed to you with no specific directions or rules.

In the 3rd case, you simply ask what are the constraints on completing the project. (As the old adage says, "if you're not sure, ASK.")
Not at all. Most employees can read the body language of the supervisor, and intuitively have an understanding of a task that is assigned. If the boss comes in and gestures at a pile of stuff and says "put these over there", everybody except the Aspie knows what is to be moved, where it is to be put, how it is to be arranged, and when it is to be done.

A supervisor that complies with your three options can do so with confidence, as long as his workers are not Aapies, which is why an Aspie on the job is sufficiently exasperating to the supervisor that he would rather not hire him in the first place. What is your hypothetical employer to do if all but one of his workers is great at guessing what he wants done?

The reason you and I disagree on this is because I have described the workplace from the viewpoint of the Aspie, and you have described it from the viewpoint of an employer who doesn't have any Aspies working for him. Which is exactly the dichotomy that presents itself when an Aspie is presumed to be capable of performing satisfactorily in the work environment simply because he has formal education and technical knowledge.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,508,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Not at all. Most employees can read the body language of the supervisor, and intuitively have an understanding of a task that is assigned. If the boss comes in and gestures at a pile of stuff and says "put these over there", everybody except the Aspie knows what is to be moved, where it is to be put, how it is to be arranged, and when it is to be done.

A supervisor that complies with your three options can do so with confidence, as long as his workers are not Aapies, which is why an Aspie on the job is sufficiently exasperating to the supervisor that he would rather not hire him in the first place. What is your hypothetical employer to do if all but one of his workers is great at guessing what he wants done?

The reason you and I disagree on this is because I have described the workplace from the viewpoint of the Aspie, and you have described it from the viewpoint of an employer who doesn't have any Aspies working for him. Which is exactly the dichotomy that presents itself when an Aspie is presumed to be capable of performing satisfactorily in the work environment simply because he has formal education and technical knowledge.
If you own a software company, will you just gesture to your employees to tell them what sort of code to write?

If you own an investment company, will you just gesture to your employees to tell them which stocks to buy or sell?

If you own a pharmaceutical company, will you just gesture to your employees what chemicals to mix?

Any employer/supervisor with common sense will put in the effort to make clear the communication regarding a significant business activity such as the ones described above. Whether you pick up on the cue to clean up that pile of paper or not isn't gonna affect the company profits. And unless you're the janitor, you're probably not trained for that, you're trained for one of the above.

And if my employer *does* gesture to me to give an order, then I'll always follow up with a question to be more specific.. it's almost instinctive in me now after so many years.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM

37 posts, read 71,775 times
If they can finish school, then they can work. This article pissed me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance