Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM

802 posts, read 2,266,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Actually, that's incorrect. Almost 2 years out and people still remember our wedding. The food, the band, the venue.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,107,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Actually, that's incorrect. Almost 2 years out and people still remember our wedding. The food, the band, the venue.
And you know this how? You took a survey? When you get together with your friends and family, they have nothing better to talk about than your two year old wedding? Either these folks need to get out
more often, or you have an inflated view of your own importance.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
And you know this how? You took a survey? When you get together with your friends and family, they have nothing better to talk about than your two year old wedding? Either these folks need to get out more often, or you have an inflated view of your own importance.
last night, my mom was telling me how delicious the french dip is at the local diner. people have lots of conversation that isnt exactly groundbreaking. every now and then, weddings come up and people will remember some details about my wedding (about 7 years ago).

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,107,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
last night, my mom was telling me how delicious the french dip is at the local diner. people have lots of conversation that isnt exactly groundbreaking. every now and then, weddings come up and people will remember some details about my wedding (about 7 years ago).
Note: I am editing this comment because I misread Captain's original post and responded with comments that had nothing to do with his/her post.

I stand by my original statement. If you (or your friends/family) are still talking about an event that occurred years ago, someone needs to get a life. I can't tell you the last time I had a discussion with anyone (other than MAYBE my spouse on our anniversary) about our wedding. Sorry, I just think/hope people have more important things to focus on. You may think this day will live in infamy, but it won't. If people remember your wedding beyond a couple months after the fact, it's probably because something went wrong, like the groom passing out at the altar (and even then they'll only remember that detail), or you did something totally out of the norm like spend gobs of money or had an unususl themed wedding. I guess in the end, my goal isn't for people remember the event. I just want them to come celebrate our union. If the focus is on them remembering details of the wedding, is it possible it have been more about putting on a show than celebrating an event? Just a thought.

Last edited by dmills; 06-15-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,685,161 times
Quote:
And you know this how? You took a survey? When you get together with your friends and family, they have nothing better to talk about than your two year old wedding? Either these folks need to get out
It's incorrect because tallysmom's statement was generalized as all encompassing. My statement was merely to state that there are exceptions to every rule. READ MY POST AGAIN. Tallysmom said "NO ONE"... all I said is that "SOMEONE" remembered. I don't need a survey from 100 people to refute her statement. midwesternkid and captainnj have the same anecdotal reports that people still do talk about weddings that have come and gone.

RELAX.

And let's not start with any attacks - personal or not.

I didn't say anywhere that we get together and have nothing to talk about other than my 2 year old wedding. Maybe you need to be a little less cynical and a little bit more accepting that there may be less than a single unifying truth about weddings.

That some weddings are remembered and some aren't.

Not everything is as black and white as this thread makes it out to be.

And just as an FYI - the last time someone talked about my wedding was 1 week ago and it was not a get-together where people had no lives and just had to talk about a 2 year old event. It was right when I got to work. I sat down and the physician assistant next to me mentioned that the physician who was just leaving had just mentioned my wedding because something that night reminded him of the wedding. We work in the emergency room. It's nice to lift up the mood once in a while when people routinely die around you. So as much as you think we have no lives, we do.

Last edited by pinipig523; 06-15-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,685,161 times
Quote:
Nice try. Note: I am editing this comment because I misread Captain's original post.

I stand by my original statement. If you (or your friends/family) are still talking about an event that occurred years ago, someone needs to get a life. I can't tell you the last time I had a discussion with anyone (other than MAYBE my spouse on our anniversary) about our wedding. Sorry, I just think/hope people have more important things to focus on. You may think this day will live in infamy, but it won't. If people remember your wedding beyond a couple months after the fact, it's probably because something went wrong, like the groom passing out at the altar (and even then they'll only remember that detail), or you did something totally out of the norm like spend gobs of moeny. I guess in the end, my goal isn't for people remember the event. I just want them to come celebrate our union.
Why is it that a discussion of a wedding means that people need to get a life? Tell me what is so good about how you lead your life that the topic of an old event is so far removed from current importance that you can say such a generalized and narrow-minded statement?

Just because your goal is for them to celebrate your union doesn't mean that if they talk about it 2 or 7 years later - that they have no life?

How did you come to such a conclusion?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,381,466 times
I think some brides fail to realize that most of the guests really don't care about the planning. I know I come to weddings for ceremony. As long I am thanked for my presence and get a quick bite to eat, I'm content. I dnn't see the need the for a 4-5 hour party.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 PM

833 posts, read 1,716,075 times
Quote:

bingo !

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,468,134 times
Quote:
Note: I am editing this comment because I misread Captain's original post and responded with comments that had nothing to do with his/her post.

I stand by my original statement. If you (or your friends/family) are still talking about an event that occurred years ago, someone needs to get a life. I can't tell you the last time I had a discussion with anyone (other than MAYBE my spouse on our anniversary) about our wedding. Sorry, I just think/hope people have more important things to focus on. You may think this day will live in infamy, but it won't. If people remember your wedding beyond a couple months after the fact, it's probably because something went wrong, like the groom passing out at the altar (and even then they'll only remember that detail), or you did something totally out of the norm like spend gobs of money or had an unususl themed wedding. I guess in the end, my goal isn't for people remember the event. I just want them to come celebrate our union. If the focus is on them remembering details of the wedding, is it possible it have been more about putting on a show than celebrating an event? Just a thought.
I stand by this original statement: me and my friends / family will reminisce on whatever we want to that we found important to us as a family, and your opinion on that is completely irrelevant. We have a life, and it revolves around our love for each other. Why would you judge?

Why in the world wouldn't family and friends cherish memories of important personal milestones? It's not like we remember every single detail, but our family fondly thinks back to many events we've shared together over the years.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Count me as needing to get a life. I often discuss events that happened in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance