Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
People don't need cars. I have walked, biked, or used a high mpg motorcycle for the last few years to get around in your typical urban sprawl area. When the reality of peak cheap oil sets in, people will have to give up their cars in favor of the things I have been doing.
Not everyone can do that, though, or at least not without moving. That's why I said if you can live somewhere without a car before kids, then you can live there without a car after kids. (I have a child and no car) I'm not in my 20s, but we definitely factor in transportation when we choose where to live, and place a priority on the ability to get around on foot and by public transportation. Many people do not live where that is feasible, however, although that is increasingly what many people -- and perhaps especially young people -- want in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I would not want to live anywhere near where public transportation is readily available-some of the highest crime rates in the country.
Maybe where you live, but that hasn't been the case at all in any of the cities I've lived in.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe where you live, but that hasn't been the case at all in any of the cities I've lived in.
Yeah it's certainly not the case where I am. People pay a premium to live near it.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
"Why don't young people buy cars and houses like they used to?"

Now the rest of the story and the great comments that are included........

Why Aren't Twentysomethings Buying Cars or Houses? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
Because they see the economic reality

Unless you are in a metro area with ESTABLISHED infrastructure, a house is nothing but a white elephant you cannot unload.

No matter how much JPMorgan/Quicken Loans and the other flim~ flam salesmen try to spin it.

Guest Post: Snapback - Stockton, Calif. And All The Cities To Follow | ZeroHedge

Risk cannot be repealed or eliminated, it can only be masked or transferred to others. Stockton Cali. is an excellent microcosm of the domino effect and this economy.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I'm 29. I bought a shiny new car. I've owned four homes. Ive sold one and lease out two. I run my own business (in home sales) and did all of this more or less on my own or with a partner during the recession with money earned working 80+ hours a week for several years.

Since I graduated college in 2005, I've seen the market at its worst (2005-2007) and at its best (2009-2011), just depends on what your perspective is.

Wait a decade or more.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi LordSquidworth--

The Fed in 1982 changed the definition of core CPI to exclude the categories which were rising the fastest: food and fuel. And then they gave housing a disproportionate weight in determining the consumer price index: forty percent. The Fed has been using these statistics ever since, which have drastically understated the rise in essentials such as... oh, food and fuel because the housing market is still in the ninth circle of hell compared to a few years ago. And this is masking the true inflation which is crimping everyone, not just homeowners.

Just head to your friendly neighborhood grocery and compare the price of beef or corn to five years ago if you don't believe me.

Here's a more accurate indicator of inflation: Shadow Government Statistics - Home Page
It's amazing how much our government lies to us, isn't it?

I'm a forty something with a lot of kids. I'm not complaining, but my income has not increased in over 3 years, but I can guarantee you everything costs more.

Last edited by MUTGR; 09-10-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Yeah too bad college degrees leave you in 6 figure debt nowadays

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Most people live in urban and suburban areas, so it isn't really a problem. From the CIA Factbook - urban population: 82% of total population (2010)

Bike to it.

Not all, or even most urban areas are conducive to a carless life.

Houston being a prime example.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Yeah too bad college degrees leave you in 6 figure debt nowadays
Mine (Dec 2011) left me with $0/debt, same as many others.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Mine (Dec 2011) left me with $0/debt, same as many others.
Don't most parents still pay for their kids' college educations? From what I've been hearing lately many of those with a lot of debt are often Gen-Xers who went back later. They're also the biggest defaulters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance