Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
People don't need cars. I have walked, biked, or used a high mpg motorcycle for the last few years to get around in your typical urban sprawl area. When the reality of peak cheap oil sets in, people will have to give up their cars in favor of the things I have been doing.
People will always need cars, they are the equivilent of the horse and wagon, something that has been used, or desired for thousands of years.

People also like going outside of their urban sprawl, and urban sprawl can be quite large. Also, even something simple as a shower facility is not available at most businesses for someone to get cleaned up after a one hour bike ride to work. Little items like this add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM

398 posts, read 698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
People will always need cars, they are the equivilent of the horse and wagon, something that has been used, or desired for thousands of years.

People also like going outside of their urban sprawl, and urban sprawl can be quite large. Also, even something simple as a shower facility is not available at most businesses for someone to get cleaned up after a one hour bike ride to work. Little items like this add up.
Who says 20-somethings have to buy new cars? I never heard of anyone in my circle buying a brand new car or even recently made-used. I got mine for free from another family member who didn't need the extra car. Added some new tires, tweaking and it was good to go. Any other way, I'd have had to go car-free and take the bus. So yeah, that's in central Maine, so it can be done!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I hate living in the city - I want a house with a yard bigger than a postage stamp, and I don't want to live with people a wall over. We live in a townhouse now and are starting to make plans for buying a bigger house. We live about 30mi outside of DC, and there's no way i'm dumping half a million dollars or more just to live closer in. I'll deal with the traffic in the winter and ride my motorcycle the rest of the year, and cut my housing cost in half or more, and get more house for the money.
And spend hundreds of unproductive hours in your car burning hundreds of gallons of gas.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And spend hundreds of unproductive hours in your car burning hundreds of gallons of gas.
Hi CAVA1990--

That's his choice. You can live on the 39th floor and have two hundred square feet all to yourself, take a Segway and light rail to/from work. Just like he's free to buy a V8 SUV and pay $100 to fill it up. It's all about free choice. And nobody, regardless of how they live, have a right to judge others and think they're morally superior to others.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Is that really different form 20 years ago?

I was 33 before I bought a house and 32 before I bought my first new car. I had no interest in either prior to that. I made good money, but I had student loans, credit card debt from college, I wanted to travel and party, not mow the lawn. Kids today are not making good money. In my profession many kids are starting at about the same pay as I did.
Only if they are in a career field that is in demand. It also highly depends what type of benefit package they get as well (much more importance compared to the past). I also think that wages overall still haven't kept up with inflation at all and that is what matters to most everyone.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi CAVA1990--

That's his choice. You can live on the 39th floor and have two hundred square feet all to yourself, take a Segway and light rail to/from work. Just like he's free to buy a V8 SUV and pay $100 to fill it up. It's all about free choice. And nobody, regardless of how they live, have a right to judge others and think they're morally superior to others.
V6 Jeep and $60-70, but close enough lol. Gas is trivial to me. My motorcycle drinks premium and I fill up every other day. I fill up the Jeep once a week, maybe once every 2 when I'm taking the bike to work. I'd much rather have 2000+ sq/ft and trees.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Is that really different form 20 years ago?

I was 33 before I bought a house and 32 before I bought my first new car. I had no interest in either prior to that. I made good money, but I had student loans, credit card debt from college, I wanted to travel and party, not mow the lawn. Kids today are not making good money. In my profession many kids are starting at about the same pay as I did.
Im 24 and make better money than both of my parents... combined.

Anyway, I bought new because of the interest rates on new cars vs. used. Also, I didn't want to put any money down since I really didn't have much at the time. Also, I wanted a warranty since I would be driving a ton. There are moments when new is smart vs. used.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi CAVA1990--

And all those people who live on the 36th, 37th, 38th and 39th floor have to have their food TRUCKED IN burning up gas....

vs the people who live in the country and grow their own and can buy locally produced, superior quality food!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Im 24 and make better money than both of my parents... combined.

Anyway, I bought new because of the interest rates on new cars vs. used. Also, I didn't want to put any money down since I really didn't have much at the time. Also, I wanted a warranty since I would be driving a ton. There are moments when new is smart vs. used.
I just started a new position in the career that I wanted to be in so I will have to work my way up the ladder. That takes a bit of time. It is an emerging company specializing tech (GIS). Luckily I have next to no student loans and a car that is paid off. I don't own property as I have moved around a number of times the past few years due to different opportunities I have taken, some full-time temp.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
And all those people who live on the 36th, 37th, 38th and 39th floor have to have their food TRUCKED IN burning up gas....

vs the people who live in the country and grow their own and can buy locally produced, superior quality food!
We're not talking about living in the country here. People out in exurbia aren't growing their own food. They're driving to a supermarket where the food is trucked in. I have nothing against living in the country or in exurbia if you work there. I just think it's ridiculous for people to live far from their employer just for some extra square footage. But it is their choice to waste a bunch of time, money, and possibly their safety. That's what Gen-Xers do and then whine how bad the traffic is. I think the Gen-Yers are smarter than that and in a lot of cases don't want to make that trade-off.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-12-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance