Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times

Advertisements

What is not talked about, is how many people, businesses , lifestyles that go underground. More and more every year.There are events that cause more people to go underground. , like the lack of good jobs . I would guess the unknown economy effects young people, and their incomes quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Well, if I do well in this new position I will be able to start saving and investing for buying a house here in WI but it will take some time. I am probably much more fiscally conservative than most people so it is certainly doable.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Some beautiful automobiles you have... the farthest I've ever driven is from Oakland to Reno for a National Meet... My horseless carriage cars only get driven a few miles a year if that... the nieces are crazy about old cars and my god daughter use to love to come over and asked if I had any projects for her to do... her parents keep them busy with other activities so only she her on birthday and holidays...

Lots of the teens I know have no desire to even get a license... I know we would be at the DMV with birth certificate in hand at 16...

I work with a 20 something that has never had a driver's license... she said her boyfriend takes her where ever she needs to go or she takes the bus or BART.

I have seen a real shift in the desire to drive or own a car.. and the rules have changed a lot...

When I was 16 me and two High School friends drove from Oakland to Vancouver WA over Easter Break to visit his Uncle... wouldn't even be legal to do that anymore for minors...

I'm probably the only one at work that changes my own oil and do my own brakes, etc... my first car was towed home when I was 12... spent a year working on it and learning along the way...

I used the money from selling the cars I had worked on to buy my first house...
Not only would it no longer be legal, but much less affordable.

There are still a lot of high school kids who are into cars and working on them (at least there was in my day - I graduated in 2005), but mechanical skills aren't viewed as a masculine necessity as they were in my mom's day.

I would perhaps attribute the change (in part) to the variety of diversions that weren't around 20 or 30 years ago. For example, if you wanted to go out and play the latest video games with other people, there was the arcade at the mall, or maybe you could drive to your friends' house and have a multi-player tournament. Totally obsolete today, as almost any kid with a video game system can connects to the internet with it and play against kids across town or across the ocean. In terms of socializing with friends, it used to be that to interact with your social group you generally had to be physically present in the same place. Now texting, instant messaging, Skype, etc. allow individuals to interact with multiple other people at the same time from virtually anywhere.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

There are still a lot of high school kids who are into cars and working on them (at least there was in my day - I graduated in 2005), but mechanical skills aren't viewed as a masculine necessity as they were in my mom's day.

I would perhaps attribute the change (in part) to the variety of diversions that weren't around 20 or 30 years ago. For example, if you wanted to go out and play the latest video games with other people, there was the arcade at the mall, or maybe you could drive to your friends' house and have a multi-player tournament. Totally obsolete today, as almost any kid with a video game system can connects to the internet with it and play against kids across town or across the ocean. In terms of socializing with friends, it used to be that to interact with your social group you generally had to be physically present in the same place. Now texting, instant messaging, Skype, etc. allow individuals to interact with multiple other people at the same time from virtually anywhere.
Your description of young people makes for reasionable deduction . I also agree that kids who grew up on the farm were driving when they were 12, on the farm and county roads. Yes, I was first in line at 16 With my 1936 Ford that I drove too and from the DMV office for my road test.".... When 17 me and a bud drove Canada end to end in my new 1959 VW bug.. Weveven got front row seats for the Queen of England visit to Montreal.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

I've heard this argument before, often with the inclusion of some other points: because of changes in technology, regulations regarding safety and efficiency/emission standards, increased enforcement (or, at least, increased punishment when enforced) of traffic rules, economics/household budget outlays, and so on, the car no longer has the power to entice Millennials and the generation after.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I agree, its nice to hear from progressive young people who are actually doing something about the economy instead of moving back in with their mother who lets them stay for fee in that basement apartment. It gives them more time, not working , to bellyache about how bad things are for them and their pot smoking green haired ,tattooed, body piercing time out friends
You have found out that there are great opportunities out there, always are as a recession is winding down. Also , Looking at business investment, I would say we are have a barn burner recovery.Stock market is through the roof, commodities are way up, maybe the highest they have ever been, yet we are experiencing no inflation. Sorta makes me want to come out of retirement considering what I see, which , is lots of spending by the MFG sector/wholesale demands, etc. In reality a lot of people are making huge profits right now, and I am not talking about the 1 per cent ether. I am talking about the 47 per cent, you know those worthless, write off, moochers around the country......? Strange world we live in now ,intense and exciting at the same time. !
You do realize the stock market and commodity prices are soaring because we are printing money not back by anything and reaching the point where exponential borrowing will cause a potential collapse?

Are you watching too much Cramer?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You do realize the stock market and commodity prices are soaring because we are printing money not back by anything and reaching the point where exponential borrowing will cause a potential collapse?

Please make sparing use of bolding.

As far as your post itself is concerned, our money hasn't been backed by anything for a while and, most economists who aren't positioned on the far right would agree, we're better for it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

Not as you want to describe our Economy,at all. , the Markets ,especially commodities will continue to stay strong. If the Fed printing money bothers you....well where is the inflation ?
Cramer is right ( though I have not heard his show for over a year.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I've heard this argument before, often with the inclusion of some other points: because of changes in technology, regulations regarding safety and efficiency/emission standards, increased enforcement (or, at least, increased punishment when enforced) of traffic rules, economics/household budget outlays, and so on, the car no longer has the power to entice Millennials and the generation after.
I wouldn't say so much "not entice" as "not be as high of a priority". The vast majority of life in the U.S. still revolves around the car, and many low-end jobs here requires a driver's license (and often even proof of insurance!). A car is a major expense and for most, a major commitment (learning to drive, paying for repairs and gas, etc.). When things involving major commitments are given less priority, they are often not realized.

As for houses, I think that's because of a prolonged adolescence, and of course a rise in home prices. Thirty or forty years ago, most people completed their education by the age of 18 and married by their early to mid-twenties (except perhaps the loftier elements of society). Homes were less luxurious and spacious but more affordable than today. Also, when a couple marries, it seems expected, even today, that they will acquire a home and start a family, at least in this part of the country. With people settling down later and other priorities and social necessities taking hold (college, travel, etc.), it is no wonder that the average age of marriage and career initiation will be later as well. However, it is important to remember that the state of affairs for the last forty or fifty years - the majority of the population owning their homes - is relatively recent in American history. Prior to 1960 or 1950 or so (I don't know the exact year), under 50% or even less than 40% of Americans actually owned the place in which they lived.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Why aren't twentysomethings buying cars or houses?

Because most like me work for minimum wage and can't afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance