Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Still having a car payment by the time you start needing tires, brakes, repairs, etc. is a recipe for financial disaster. The first thing the person will do is skip the car payment and justify it by saying they need the repairs to get to work.
Actually that's about the last thing your average person will do. Banks and finance companies have learned that when times get tough, people will pay their car note before virtually anything else, including the rent/mortgage. That's a big part of why car sales have remained relatively robust throughout the down economy, because it's one area where banks are still willing to lend quite freely. I'd guess that's also why finance companies are willing to extend the repayment periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
too bad for the average american for not being smarter about their spending. i like the idea of lower interest rates and longer terms. i will take advantage of them in order to grow my net worth.

i dont want to invest an education curriculum for all grades, but i think education is failing to teach children some of the most important things to know. i think basic finance and money management should be there.
Even by your own terms, you FAIL. Lower interest rates for a longer term = more money in the pockets of lenders. Why? Because history has shown us time and time again that Americans aren't that smart at all. They use the 'savings' to A: upgrade their original planned purchase, wiping out the savings on the lower interest, or B: use the the money for other unnecessary consumer purchases, often also on credit, so no net worth gain.

But maybe you are indeed one of the brilliant ones. Hint: if you pay for a new car with anything other than cash, you are not.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Even by your own terms, you FAIL. Lower interest rates for a longer term = more money in the pockets of lenders. Why? Because history has shown us time and time again that Americans aren't that smart at all. They use the 'savings' to A: upgrade their original planned purchase, wiping out the savings on the lower interest, or B: use the the money for other unnecessary consumer purchases, often also on credit, so no net worth gain.

But maybe you are indeed one of the brilliant ones. Hint: if you pay for a new car with anything other than cash, you are not.
i applied it to myself, you responded to that and then you went on about "Americans arent that smart at all." i know what i do with my money. i know that i save about 40% of my net income and that is after paying 2 car loans every month. what other americans choose to do isnt my problem.

it doesnt take brilliance to understand basic finance. just because you dont seem to understand that doesnt really make it all that difficult. if i can make more money investing my cash than i will pay in interest, im making the right move. you are obviously not qualified to make your silly little hint statement suggesting you know whats a good or bad move. you clearly dont know because your "hint" is wrong.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
That or you actually understand PV and opportunity cost. Both are elementary principles taught in any freshman finance course in college... probably should be taught in high school, but at least I didn't have them there. But yeah, average Americans aren't the so-called brilliant ones. They seem to be in two camps. One has an allergic reaction to debt because they're ignorant of how it works while the other thinks in terms of monthly payments because they don't understand how it works.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That or you actually understand PV and opportunity cost.
Quote:
Lower interest rates for a longer term = more money in the pockets of lenders.

the guy is clueless and he is lecturing me. its probably been repeated a million times why its worth it to finance if the interest rate is low enough. but noooooooooo interest is the devil and if its 10 years at 1%; thats paying more interest than 5 years at 1% and more interest paid is evil so its a bad idea.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,810 times
Quote:
the guy is clueless and he is lecturing me.
So you would rather pay 4.49% for almost 9 years or pay 1.49% for 3 years or less?

You will pay more in the end. It is that simple. Why do this if you don't have to and can afford to pay it off in 3 years?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
Quote:
the guy is clueless and he is lecturing me. its probably been repeated a million times why its worth it to finance if the interest rate is low enough. but noooooooooo interest is the devil and if its 10 years at 1%; thats paying more interest than 5 years at 1% and more interest paid is evil so its a bad idea.
It could make sense to finance IF you can afford what you'd planned to finance in the first place and IF you weren't susceptible to low rates resulting a temptation to upgrade your original purchase to something you can't afford and IF you had the discipline to use the 'savings' to increase net worth by investing. But good on you, you're somehow different.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Haha

It's like all the people asking why Zuckerberg was soooo stupid and financed his house. 1.05% for 30 years (adjustable rate tho). It's like the adjustable rate loans are bad, mmkay, "truism." Yeah, true for me. True for most people. Not true for Zuckerberg. If interest rates shoot up, he can always just pay cash.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Haha

It's like all the people asking why Zuckerberg was soooo stupid and financed his house. 1.05% for 30 years (adjustable rate tho). It's like the adjustable rate loans are bad, mmkay, "truism." Yeah, true for me. True for most people. Not true for Zuckerberg. If interest rates shoot up, he can always just pay cash.
At the rate Zuckerberg is losing money (more than you and I have ever made) these last two years, why would anyone follow his lead?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Yeah, his fortune has dwindled to, what, 15 billion?

What a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance