Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What's the difference between that and buying cars you can afford and paying it off in seven, eight, or ten years?
It just makes it easier for people with less money to afford a car.

Joe Schmoe making $10 an hour might be able to afford $200 a month for almost 9 years, but he can't afford $589 a month for 3.5 years.

Also mentally who wants to pay a car loan for almost 9 stinkin years!

Also high interest rates on a longer loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Just an attempt to increase the potential consumer base, increasing sales and allowing automakers to jack up prices. This is going to hurt everyone looking to buy a vehicle in the long run. We may be more financially prudent than those demanding a 7 year car note, but those buyer's stupidity will cost us all.

Why is it that so many companies require finance trickery like this to make a buck? What ever happened to an honest buck???

Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Just an attempt to increase the potential consumer base, increasing sales and allowing automakers to jack up prices. This is going to hurt everyone looking to buy a vehicle in the long run. We may be more financially prudent than those demanding a 7 year car note, but those buyer's stupidity will cost us all.

Why is it that so many companies require finance trickery like this to make a buck? What ever happened to an honest buck???
when we started printing money and pretending everything was okay, we pretty much admitted we lost control.

as far as car loans, it seems very stupid for the lender-as their "collateral" keeps depreciating anyway-and the borrower is increasingly disincentivized to keep paying the loan.

I have seen stories about people "renting" furniture and then turning around and selling it-they often leave the country so what can be done?

as I am typing, I am sure a new scam is developing. I am not sure that bitcoin isn't a scam on its own.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
I have a friend who works at an auto dealership in Calumet City, IL, you could say that Cal City is working class, and had a woman ecstatic to be approved for something insane like 25% or something like that on a loan. She was ecstatic because she didn't think she would be approved at all.

People are poor not because they don't make enough, they're poor because they spend too much. I have a friend, single mother of 3 who works 2 jobs and she makes about $9.50/hr at each job. She manages to save money as well as pay for her condo and a '08 Charger.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
What's the difference between that and buying cars you can afford and paying it off in seven, eight, or ten years?
The actual amount you would end up paying.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The actual amount you would end up paying.
Your loss/gain really depends more on the interest rate than the length of the loan.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Your loss/gain really depends more on the interest rate than the length of the loan.
And the car dealers know you think like that. So they jack up the price of the car, and pay the loan company for you - with your money. C'mon, did you really think that shotgun was free?

End of the day you have paid 30,000 for the car I paid 25,000 for. That's how it works.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And the car dealers know you think like that. So they jack up the price of the car, and pay the loan company for you - with your money. C'mon, did you really think that shotgun was free?

End of the day you have paid 30,000 for the car I paid 25,000 for. That's how it works.
If I were to buy a car, the dealer is not paying my credit union anything. If you think that my credit union and the dealer have some behind-the-scenes deal, you're mistaken. Dealers can't just arbitrarily jack up the price of a car unless the buyer has no clue. The reality is that most new cars sell within a few % of ZAG pricing unless you're taking dealer/manufacturing promotional financing in lieu of a kickback/rebate.

Sure, with a used car, it's possible to be caught in this price fluctuation crap. But with a new car, dealers don't have the freedom they used to 20 years ago.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
Encourage the brain dead American consumers to buy more expensive vehicles than they could afford otherwise by dragging out payments a few more years, thereby making said too costly vehicle even more so. Sounds good to me.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 AM

505 posts, read 765,467 times
I'm not a fan of financing cars, or any other depreciating asset for that matter

However, considering that interest rates are low and that cars last longer than ever there are a lot worse things someone could do.

The only real issue is how much higher the interest rate is for the longer loan vs. a traditional 60mo loan. If they are the same, no reason not to go longer. If not, then it comes down to a simple math problem - is the extra interest you pay over time worth the flexibility of the lower monthly payment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance