Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'd never stretch out the financing that far on a strictly depreciating asset. Better off just leasing and let the finance companies assume the risk of letting you drive around in it. I honestly don't know why I'd ever traditionally finance a car again. Either lease or pay cash IMO.
Leasing is throwing money away. Cash is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You aren't paying attention to the charts I posted. Look at the one I just posted today (a couple posts up). Longer term at higher rate creates a better loan opportunity for you. If you consider the S&P500 average return, you're giving up a loan opportunity of $2500.
While I understand the point you have been making and it does make some financial sense, the main reason I started this thread is my belief that vast majority of people getting these long term car loans aren't doing it to divert the monthly savings to other investments or wise financial decisions. They are doing it to allow them to drive a more expensive car and take the monthly savings and spend on other depreciating assets getting themselves in deeper long term debt.
Also, how many of these people with 7 year loans or longer are going to actually drive the car to the end of the loan? In effect, many more people will never actually fully own the car before they trade it in and start the whole process all over again.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
While I understand the point you have been making and it does make some financial sense, the main reason I started this thread is my belief that vast majority of people getting these long term car loans aren't doing it to divert the monthly savings to other investments or wise financial decisions. They are doing it to allow them to drive a more expensive car and take the monthly savings and spend on other depreciating assets getting themselves in deeper long term debt.
Bingo.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM

77 posts, read 123,675 times
Debt slaves.

No such thing as good debt...

Here buy my space-jet only infinity payments of $500000 a month...

Debt=slavery...

Modern day slavery

Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 AM

213 posts, read 728,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lapaglia, PhD, Esq. View Post
Debt slaves.

Here buy my space-jet only infinity payments of $500000 a month...

Debt=slavery...

Modern day slavery
again for a doctor and a lawyer your comments show no education what so ever. sounds like a kid repeating something they heard someone say

Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM

505 posts, read 765,467 times
Quote:
Also, how many of these people with 7 year loans or longer are going to actually drive the car to the end of the loan? In effect, many more people will never actually fully own the car before they trade it in and start the whole process all over again.
That's your belief and if some people are using these loans (or any other) to make irresponsible financial choices, then that's not so smart.

There are lots of responsible people out there for whom a longer term loan could make sense which is what many of the posters have been pointing out.

I would be interested in seeing info on how many people use longer term car loans, or leases, or whatever to "spend more than they can afford" vs. those who use them more thoughtfully.

Financial tools (e.g. loans) are like any other tool. Use them wisely they can be very useful and helpful, use them stupidly you can hurt yourself and others.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
If someone wants to take out a 9 year loan to buy a car, that's on them.

Personally I think it's foolish and I wouldn't do it, but I had a 5 year loan on my car and some people...people with 3 year loans or people who buy cars with cash...might think that's foolish too.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Probably many.

Average new car buyers hold their car for about six years. Intuitively, I would say people taking on longer loans are more likely to hold for a longer period. The average gets brought down by the serial new car buyer who gets bored and buys something new every 2-3 years. Of course, they also could be doing 7-year loans.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lapaglia, PhD, Esq. View Post
Debt slaves.

Debt=slavery...
Your probably right about that, but unfortunately you sometimes have to deal with the devil to live. Most people have to take on debt to buy a house. While it's certainly true you can rent your entire life, it's a statical fact that people who buy have a greater net worth than people who rent. Rents always increase, but when you buy, you basically locking in your rent for the next 30 years. It takes anywhere from 7 to 15 years for rents to increase to a point where the renter is paying more than the home owner.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,438 times
Quote:
Agree 100%, I have no doubt that there are people who are using this longer loan term to invest in other places, I would guess that most use it to buy more car than they can afford and using the longer term to stretch the payment to fit into their budget. Also don't underestimate the increase in the average car cost due to the availability of loans that allow people to afford more car by stretching out the loan term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance