Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

The flat white coffee drink was $4. A suggested tip was $3.

The cashier at Café Grumpy, a New York City coffeehouse, swiped the credit card, then whirled the screen of her iPad sales device around to face the customer. “Add a tip,” the screen commanded, listing three options: $1, $2 or $3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/bu...ttom-well&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
That's akin to the question of "Would you like to leave a tip" that cashiers use at a hairdresser or some sandwich shops. It's an awkward question and puts you on the spot. I may be mentally calculating how much I should tip. I don't want someone looking at me while I do it. Sometimes you are expected to tip before you even get the service.

I think these places shoot themselves by putting you on the spot. If I leave there feeling awkward or a bit abused because I felt forced to over tip, I may not come back. There are other options. I will probably use those first before I decide to come back, if ever.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Everybody wants a tip now. If I'm picking my food up to go, or have to serve myself I am absolutely not tipping. Even non-waiter/waitresses expect tips now. They don't even have to provide good service, they still expect extra money.

Raise the cost of the food and I'll decide whether or not to eat there, but don't put these stupid tip jars everywhere.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That's akin to the question of "Would you like to leave a tip" that cashiers use at a hairdresser
or some sandwich shops. It's an awkward question and puts you on the spot.
Just don't do it. No tips at walk up counters at all.
Tip the PERSON performing the service (at the table or the chair)

And no tips at all if they have the gall to add it automatically.
(large groups at sit down meal with signage/notice are a reasonable exception
but clearly that toe in the door has wreaked havoc beyond it's intent)

Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That's akin to the question of "Would you like to leave a tip" that cashiers use at a hairdresser or some sandwich shops. It's an awkward question and puts you on the spot. I may be mentally calculating how much I should tip. I don't want someone looking at me while I do it. Sometimes you are expected to tip before you even get the service.

I think these places shoot themselves by putting you on the spot. If I leave there feeling awkward or a bit abused because I felt forced to over tip, I may not come back. There are other options. I will probably use those first before I decide to come back, if ever.

My wife has no problem tipping her hairdresser is that really anywhere in the realm of a sandwich shop? I don't think it's remotely close

Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My wife has no problem tipping her hairdresser is that really anywhere in the realm of a sandwich shop? I don't think it's remotely close
Me neither. The hairdresser screws up your hair and you're stuck, but a sandwich shop screws up your order and they can make you a new one. As long as the stylist doesn't give me a bad cut they are getting a tip.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Me neither. The hairdresser screws up your hair and you're stuck, but a sandwich shop screws up your order and they can make you a new one. As long as the stylist doesn't give me a bad cut they are getting a tip.

My hair takes 10 min max and I tip. My wife's take hours for cut and color and her stylist or whatever you all it seems to be a rather important relationship so she takes care of said person with a tip

Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Just as I tip a waiter/waitress based on good service, I tip the barber if they were efficient (fast) and did a good job on my hair. When it comes to fast foo (coffee included) they have done nothing to deserve a tip, jut followed the procedure and took your money. The worst is the newspaper car delivery guy. Every Christmas he leaves an envelope in the paper with his address on it. I might consider a possible tip if he were to leave the paper closer to the house and get it here on time at least 1-2 times a week.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
Really if you are going to a walk up counter for a coffee, and you carry it to a table or to the car, aren't you the wait staff? Keep the change!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:33 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
I still tend to tip about 25% for food service, maybe a bit less somewhere like Subway - virtually the only fast food place that tends to have a tip jar. Since the server is assembling your meal in front of you, I always feel that they deserve a tip for being polite, friendly, and doing a good job of it. Its not really rational, but probably stems from having slightly more interaction with them than the average fast food server. Usually I'm just buying my own there, so it costs $6-7 and I tip a buck.

I usually tip a buck on coffee, if there is a jar. I rarely charge for under $10, so it's easy to just drop some of the change in a jar. I doubt I would return to a place that suggested a 75% tip - that raises a couple red flags at least.

My barber charges $9 for a haircut and I tip $1 even though he owns the shop. I tip employee barbers more than that, usually 20%, the old standby was you needn't tip the owner of the barber shop. But the guy is friendly, gives a good, fast hair cut, and is in a small town where business can be light.

I used to sometimes deliver furniture for the custom shop I worked for. Usually the people who did the sanding got that task, but sometimes they needed a cabinetmaker along, either because it was big and heavy and another body was needed or because there was some technical assembly to do. Tips were not expected and I believe were actively discouraged by the owner. There was one consistent repeat client who always tipped regardless. We all liked that guy and would go over and above to keep him happy. Tips do tend to make a big difference, especially in a case like that.

Last edited by prosopis; 02-01-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance