Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is anyone supposed to believe this line of bs?
Probably just those with an undertstanding of the facts and of the act. Those stuck with just some Hertage Foundation/FOX News view, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Do leprechauns and unicorns exist in your fantasy world?
No, but cost and population vectors do. You should study those sometime.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM

827 posts, read 1,090,013 times
You must have gotten beat up a lot as a kid. Most people who love bigger government often did.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ha ha ha , really. I guess you telling me I didn't see a 40% increase over 2 years since 2010 was pulled out of thin air. the only one with mis-information is you.
Yes, really. I'm telling you only what you should have realized and understood from the outset -- that your trivial personal anecdote of having gotten hooked up with a dismal health care provider whose rate increases are 12 times the national average has nothing to do with what others might expect in a broad national health care environment. The rate of increase in health care premiums has in fact been declining for years. The fact you managed to get shafted does not alter the fact.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
You must have gotten beat up a lot as a kid. Most people who love bigger government often did.
That your A-material? LOL!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Yes, really. I'm telling you only what you should have realized and understood from the outset -- that your trivial personal anecdote of having gotten hooked up with a dismal health care provider whose rate increases are 12 times the national average has nothing to do with what others might expect in a broad national health care environment. The rate of increase in health care premiums has in fact been declining for years. The fact you managed to get shafted does not alter the fact.

shafted? I didn't get shafted, we are paying just what everyone else is paying. we just took the jumps the last few years. we are paying no more than anyone else.

the graduation of the rate increases are immaterial , it is the price we are all paying. you are blind to the fact that each state and insurance company will have increases that all total up to the same thing but get there with different size jumps .

most of us are now paying 15k for insurance for a family regardless of what insurance company you have and what state you are in if your company is not paying some of it for you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-of-good-news/

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-18-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Ahh, but to allow the status quo to continue and expect a different result would make us fools. At least we have affected change that will take time to assess the result. Any argument prior to these results is a waste.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
LOLOLOL!!!! The actual number is around 25% during the final year, not 80% during the final six months. And of course, there is no way to tell when the final year of any individual's life began until he or she has died.
The numbers I have seen range from 25 to 30% during the final year for Medicare patients. Here are three sources:
http://www.medpac.gov/publications%5...CMar03_Ch1.pdf
http://www.ced.org/pdf/Quality-Affor...re-for-All.pdf
http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statisti...ar_of_Life.pdf

Quote:
yeah, i guess i wasnt clear that i was in agreement with you. people like to blame capitalism for how expensive health care is but health care has been handicapped so much by government regulation that is far from free. everybody agreed that health care reform was needed to bring down costs and we got health care reform that does nothing to address the costs. probably because thats asking government to reduce their role which is something they never want to do.
The compromise that was the Affordable Care Act did very little to bring down costs. Its #1 goal was to provide health insurance to those currently uninsured.

Quote:
its my understanding that he could sign up for a plan on the spot. im not sure what would happen if its an emergency but im guessing you would be covered somehow.

but it would probably be easier and not too expensive to get a bronze plan anyway. however, lowest cost option (i think) is just to get nothing until its needed.
I think there would be a conflict of interest in most cases if a hospital could sign patients on the spot. The ACA provides for navigators who will help customers understand their health insurance options and come to decisions. Any health care provider who receives reimbursement from different insurers would not be eligible to be a certified navigator. In addition, there will not be continuous enrollment.

Quote:
Gee, what happened to federalism? States have different standards for what sort of minimum coverages insurers have to offer if they wish to sell coverage in a particular state. These minimums are effective because insurers must meet the standards of the state in which the insured party resides. Insurance companies (bless their very little hearts) want to have the state where the insurance company resides be controlling instead. This would result in all insurance companies suddenly establishing their world headquarters in the state with the lowest minimum requirements for coverage which is currently Mississippi. But how long would it take some wannabe state like Oklahoma to realize that it could attract new business to the state simply by enacting even lower standards than Mississippi's? This simply sets up a giant race-to-the-bottom wherein the insurance companies win and everybody else loses. Imagine that.
Under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), an employer may self-fund its employee benefits plan. An increasing number of employers have done this. In other words, rather than by insurance, they are responsible for paying the health care claims themselves. They do this through an insurance administrator. This allows them to avoid state regulation.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think there would be a conflict of interest in most cases if a hospital could sign patients on the spot. The ACA provides for navigators who will help customers understand their health insurance options and come to decisions. Any health care provider who receives reimbursement from different insurers would not be eligible to be a certified navigator. In addition, there will not be continuous enrollment.
im not sure if thats a conflict of interest; they just want to be paid for services they provided. im not sure if "signing them up" would be the best term. maybe they "help them sign up" or maybe navigators would locate themselves in hospitals to help people sign up on the spot. ive been to several conferences and just last week had 2 guys in our office for 2 hours talking about ppaca and i believe ive heard that people could do this; but never really got much detail since thats not really important for our business.

i do know that when i was involved in hospital bankruptcies the hospitals were working on getting people signed up on the spot for "emergency medicaid" so they could get paid for services. so it doesnt seem too far off to have some kind of mechanism as part of ppaca.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM

44 posts, read 83,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Insurance for a person in their 20ies isn't that expensive and is usually < $200.00 a month. If you have a smart phone, you can probably afford it.

One other option is a qualified high deductible health plan combined with a health savings account. You can contribute to it pre-tax dollars or if your employer doesn't have a section 125 plan, you can get a deduction for contributions on your 1040 tax return.

The penalty next year is quite small for not having health insurance FYI.... Also it is rumored that premiums will increase 80% for young people when Obamacare kicks in.

**You see the young will be paying for the old who over utilize the insurance. Also paying for the obese who do not take care of themselves.
I needed to buy health insurance in college and they offered a student health insurance that was considered low cost and I was paying around $250 a month a I wasn't even working so I don't understand how that's low cost and I'm a healthy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance