Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times

Advertisements

With the new class in the US (the buried in student debt class) there will be no savings whatsoever. Baby boomers are probably the last generation that saved money. Generation X'ers will inherit the baby boomer wealth and pay off debt and spend it frivolously. Generation Y'ers will never make enough to invest. We're moving more and more towards complete reliance upon the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
baby boomers as a group are one of the wealthiest generations .

the buried in student debt generation has not paid their dues yet . they have many decades to go.

I got out of school in debt right in the middle of the 1970's.

gas lines , high unemployment ,inflation and vietnam were wrecking the country.

the picture looked as bleak as could be.

well 40 years later many of us did just fine and the kids today may turn out just as fine. it is far to early in the game to make any judgment.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
With the new class in the US (the buried in student debt class) there will be no savings whatsoever. Baby boomers are probably the last generation that saved money. Generation X'ers will inherit the baby boomer wealth and pay off debt and spend it frivolously. Generation Y'ers will never make enough to invest. We're moving more and more towards complete reliance upon the government.
Please don't make blanket statements. Maybe some of that is true for an increasing % but there are still LOTS out there that do not meet those descriptions in the slightest.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,296 times
24 year old millenial here

i started saving for retirement. got a 401K and an IRA. my goal is to save 5-7K a year. yes, i still have student loan debt(13K). i am also saddled with dental bills this year. how do i do it? i know how to budget unlike most americans, especially people my age. they are too concerned with instagram and expensive smartphones and data plans. you can't make ends meet? have a social life? maybe those idiot drinking buddies are costing you too much money. what about that high maintenance girlfriend? dump her and either stay single, find another girl who aint materialistic, or stick to prostitutes(in the long run, they're cheaper) get a second job, cut expenses, or both instead of bitching about declining wages and china and republicans and democrats and obamacare and minimum wage. sell drugs if you can't get a job. stop watching the the dumbed down, domesday, fear mongering, partisan-biased news channels.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:25 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, please.

My net worth turned positive when I was 26, four years out of college. I'm not going to hit six figures by 30 or seven by 40 which were my goals but I'm on track to retire before 80. Somewhere in between what I'd hoped and what is necessary to not live on cat food.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Speak for yourself, please.

My net worth turned positive when I was 26, four years out of college. I'm not going to hit six figures by 30 or seven by 40 which were my goals but I'm on track to retire before 80. Somewhere in between what I'd hoped and what is necessary to not live on cat food.
Look at statistics in this Country, you are the minority.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Whether it is minority or majority it still does not mean all. it means you have folks that do and folks that don't regardless of the numbers.

generalizations do not apply.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Quote:
But you didn't say minority/majority or use any clarifying word. You said there would be no savings whatsoever and then used Gen X and Gen Y with a broad stroke instead of a words like many, several, a large percentage, or most. Big difference (even a big difference between some of those clarifying words).

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
As I have said in other threads, the problem is the standard that passes for "average" in America is pretty sad.

--68% of Americans are overweight (and then wonder why health care is so expensive).
--33% are obese.
--Americans only save 5% of income, yet there are lower income countries that save much more (like China).
--The average American gets divorced or has a kid(s) out of wedlock.
--The average American blows money on at least on of the following non-necessities: tattoos, piercings, cigarettes, recreational drugs, alcohol, $4 coffees.

With much of the above behavior passing for average, it's no wonder the average American is not doing well financially.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
So what?

Fast Facts

Median earnings for full-time workers for my age group is $40k per year. At $40k per year personal income, it's not that difficult to be saving money. It's not that we're buried in debt and can't get jobs. It's that most people choose not to save what I would consider enough for retirement. That's not unique to millenials.

I have pretty high student loans, borrowed close to $40k between bachelor's and post-graduate certifications. My earnings aren't out of the range of normal. My net worth is that of someone ten years older than I am because of how I manage what I bring in better than most. As far as absolute earnings, I've probably earned less since graduating than most college graduates. I've been out of work completely for over a year, worked part-time for another year, and worked very low paying jobs for a year and a half. I've worked full-time for close to typical salaries for less than half the time since I've graduated. If I'd been making what I make now consistently (which again, isn't out of the range of normal), I would be at six figures for net worth by 30 easily.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-07-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance