Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
While the CIAI callers last night were a bit out of whack (IIRC all were denied except the last caller), the mortgages wasn't the problem with that person because mortgage #2 was for a rental property where the caller was getting rental income (e.g. bring in $1200 and pay $600).

The problem with most of these callers was that they didn't have enough retirement income and/or emergency fund.

I actually don't think Suze is all bad. There are a few areas where I disagree with her (her stance on bonds, etc.) and sometimes she's a bit hard on her callers (telling them to sell their wedding rings, etc.) but overall, it's not *that* bad.
Leaps and bounds more honest and less extreme than Dave Ramsey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

466 posts, read 644,173 times
I've always liked Suze. Yes, she gets a little wacky sometimes, but overall she's an honest source of well-intentioned "common sense" information.

I stopped watching her show when it stopped being available online for non cable-TV subscribers (way to go, CNBC), but I do think the show has run its course.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM

195 posts, read 186,370 times
if you get serious about it, it only takes 4 months to have an 8 month emergency fund. Simply live in a van at the jr college, and get both semester loans and grants. you'll have to pass 1/2 of the 12 hours of classes (so take simple ones) in order for them to give you the same 6k loan for the second semester. If you start in the fall, they'll give you another3k for the summer semester, too. If you live close to your work, you'll have almost no commuting cost, little expense for the van. If you make little at your work, you can draw almost $200 per month food stamps. For 4 hours per week of sitting in a chair, you can make $250 per month selling your blood plasma. Some just eat supper twice at the mission and sell their food stamps for half price. I know a guy who did this, "flew a sign" at intesections, did some day labor, worked some craigslist jobs, and in a year, he had 12k on tap, for a trip overseas, where he married a nurse and brought her back to US. Now she shows her appreciation in positive ways.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
if you get serious about it, it only takes 4 months to have an 8 month emergency fund. Simply live in a van at the jr college, and get both semester loans and grants. you'll have to pass 1/2 of the 12 hours of classes (so take simple ones) in order for them to give you the same 6k loan for the second semester. If you start in the fall, they'll give you another3k for the summer semester, too. If you live close to your work, you'll have almost no commuting cost, little expense for the van. If you make little at your work, you can draw almost $200 per month food stamps. For 4 hours per week of sitting in a chair, you can make $250 per month selling your blood plasma. Some just eat supper twice at the mission and sell their food stamps for half price. I know a guy who did this, "flew a sign" at intesections, did some day labor, worked some craigslist jobs, and in a year, he had 12k on tap, for a trip overseas, where he married a nurse and brought her back to US. Now she shows her appreciation in positive ways.
uh... what?

I think Suze Orman gives realistic advice in an unrealistic way. She has to be a bit extreme and "crazy" in order to entertain her viewers but the advice given is usually solid.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 AM

483 posts, read 624,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
There are also local churches dying to help people that want/need it. I'm not sure why I've been working for so long? Oh yeah, someone has to foot the bill!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
If you really want to listen to someone on the radio/tv/podcast/etc, then I would recommend Clark Howard. His advice is almost always spot on and he seems like a nice guy.

Suze is also pretty good with her advice on credit scores.

And yeah, the show has pretty much run its course at this point. Every episode is more or less the same these days.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I second the Clark Howard recommendation above. A lot of hands on advice on deals, how to do stuff and so on. Suze is more of a TV show and I get tired of the "go girlfriend".

Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
her next show should be on the order of the dirty dozen with lee marvin.

she can round up her band of financial misfits.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
She is retiring her show on CNBC at the end of MARCH, so you need'nt worry to much more about her.
BUT: she has helped a lot of people!
Adn she's made more money than we have!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
maybe its something she eats
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance