Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a working phone number where one can actually speak to a live body?

None of the numbers on the website work. The customer service phone number is nothing but a phone tree that goes nowhere. All I can get is recorded balance and last few deposits.

I have somehow locked myself out of my online account. I need to create a new password. There is simply no button that I can see to do this.

Years ago I had Direct Express and there were so many fees I cancelled it and went to getting the SS check in the mail. Then when they threatened to do away with checks in the mail, I went back to Direct Express and it's gone smoothly for several years. Now, this huge snafu that I can't get out of. It's impossible and hopeless. Quite frankly, it makes me sick to my stomach that something that should be so simple is so incredibly difficult. Your government at work, folks!

If anyone can give me a direct phone number or instructions on resetting my password, I would be deeply appreciative.

Oh, and I tried the "setting up account" page and got a message that there was no "biographical" match. I triple checked my numbers and they were typed correctly. I'm lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM

OMG, I found out some stuff and this would be hilarious if it weren't the government and if it weren't my money involved.

To talk to someone direct at Direct Express, you call the number on the back of your card. Then when it asks for language, press 3. 3 is not an option given, but regardless, that's what you press.

Then when it asks for card # or SS #, ignore the request. Twice.

Eventually, someone will answer.

Unbelievable. Just un-freaking unbelievable!

Oh, and to reset my password, the lady submitted a ticket and I now have to wait for up to 5 days for someone to call me back.

I'm totally finished with Direct Express. I'm going to the local SS office today to sign up for direct deposit. Which, one lady at Direct Express told me I couldn't do, as the local office doesn't handle that. But another lady told me they do. I'll go and see what they say.

Totally unacceptable.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
You can setup direct deposit yourself on-line at my Social Security ? Sign In Or Create an Account

Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You can setup direct deposit yourself on-line at my Social Security ? Sign In Or Create an Account

This is what I did. No problems at all and it's been depositing money for three years.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
Quote:

That's what I did. But I've never had a Direct Express account. Maybe Direct Express has to "approve" your changing the way you get your SS payments. I hope not -- that would probably be a nightmare. Please come back and post how it went. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Your government at work, folks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
OMG, I found out some stuff and this would be hilarious if it weren't the government and if it weren't my money involved.
I was going to reply to your first anti-government snide remark but decided it wasn't worth the effort even if you were uninformed.

Now that you've done it a second time, I decided it was time to point out to you that the issue isn't with the government, it is with Comerica Bank. Comerica operates the Direct Express program.

You anti-government types typically don't want government employees running government programs, so they get contracted out to the private sector; but then lo and behold, your wonderful private-sector company screws you over. Evern though you're dealing with a private sector business and its private sector employees, you still want to blame the government for your problems.

Typical.

Then again, the entire problem began when you somehow locked yourself out of your own account.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 11-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Edited to remove off topic comments.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I've tried that 3 times over about a 4 year time period. I've never, ever gotten it to work. I tried again early this morning. I can't remember the error message I got but I got nowhere.

It's been as bad for me as the 0bammycare site.

And no, I'm not computer stupid. I've built websites, including my own, that have worked perfectly. I know my way around the internet. It's not me. I know some folks have gotten it to work. It has never and will likely never work for me. I have no clue why and I'm not interested in excuses.

As it turns out, speaking of excuses, when they opened, I called SS and they did it for me. We'll see if it works. I don't have a good feeling about any of this. When SS called me back (using their call back feature, which is nice), the lady put me on hold for 10 minutes. Right off the bat. When she got back on the line, she apologized and said the delay was because they've moved and are still getting organized.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
It's a funny thing in life: For those who expect nothing to work things usually don't. Nine times out of ten the fault lies with the complainer. You know, like when they forget their password, and it all ends up being someone else's fault. That kind of thing.

And it usually turns out that all the blame they place at someone or something's feet is being placed in the wrong location. I find it's a lack of understanding, research, or patience. Perhaps all of the above.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
I don't understand why someone who can do DirectDeposit of the SS "Check" would use/want to use DirectExpress?

Can Someone Explain why?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's a funny thing in life: For those who expect nothing to work things usually don't. Nine times out of ten the fault lies with the complainer. You know, like when they forget their password, and it all ends up being someone else's fault. That kind of thing.

And it usually turns out that all the blame they place at someone or something's feet is being placed in the wrong location. I find it's a lack of understanding, research, or patience. Perhaps all of the above.

Forgetting a password should not create that much of a problem nor should it warrant a smart alec reply from some poster !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance