Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

lets see , what stresses? you mean like rent increases, dental, eye glasses, home repairs if you own , your cost of living going up which is not the same thing as a cola adjustment. food inflation , uncovered medical expenses, i can make a list that would go on for pages as to the unexpected zingers in life.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lets see , what stresses? you mean like rent increases, dental, eye glasses, home repairs if you own , your cost of living going up which is not the same thing as a cola adjustment. food inflation , uncovered medical expenses, i can make a list that would go on for pages as to the unexpected zingers in life.

Any jobs I have had now or in the past have caused me more stress and anxiety than worrying about those other things. At one time I was living quite comfortably in the back of a Ford Bronco.

I just value my solitude far more than wages or hours put in at work. I had to drastically alter my lifestyle to fit my needs.

Living on such a low income is partially due to choice and due to other factors. I dropped out of community college 15 years ago due to failing a remedial math class multiple times so my employment prospects have always been limited.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Did you make multiple accounts to reply to yourself and accidentally logged into the wrong one? LOL
ROTFLMAO. I thought that was odd, too. A few times in this thread I've thought some posters were puppet posters.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Any jobs I have had now or in the past have caused me more stress and anxiety than worrying about those other things. At one time I was living quite comfortably in the back of a Ford Bronco.

I just value my solitude far more than wages or hours put in at work. I had to drastically alter my lifestyle to fit my needs.

Living on such a low income is partially due to choice and due to other factors. I dropped out of community college 15 years ago due to failing a remedial math class multiple times so my employment prospects have always been limited.
to each his own but not for me for sure. living the life of a poverty striken hermit is not one of my goals in life .

Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
here in nyc that is a nothing special lifestyle at all for that amount. keep in mind medical insurance and housing makes up 34k of it.
That's why a lot of people don't want to live in New York. It's very crowded (beyond just normal "urban" crowded you have in other urban cities like Chicago or Boston), expensive, not all that attractive, and the weather is mediocre / lousy. Not much to recommend it IMO. California is expensive, but at least it has good weather . I know, the cultural amenities are wonderful, blah, blah, blah. Most people don't use those amenities that much anyway, especially when the are busting their butts to earn the high incomes it takes to pay the rent (as you point out). A lot of people figure they don't want to bust their butts to live in a place like that, where they have to earn upwards of 50K just to have a minimalist lifestyle. It would probably make a lot of sense for a lot of New Yorkers making 50K to move somewhere cheaper like Eddie and earn 20K. Many would actually have a better everyday quality of life.

Just sayin'.

@Eddie....I still wanna know where this magical income steam of 20K is coming from. That is the only hole in your story/philosophy--and it's a major one. The fact that you're not tellin' is suspicious.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM

i wouldn't disagree but i have been to quite a few cities and i have to say none are like living in nyc. especially if retired with all that time on your hands.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times
If I could afford it, I would live in NYC.

I like rural, and I like the big city. It's the suburbs that irk me !

Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM

67 posts, read 80,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
@Eddie....I still wanna know where this magical income steam of 20K is coming from. That is the only hole in your story/philosophy--and it's a major one. The fact that you're not tellin' is suspicious.
Why not just assume he bought 1000 bitcoins @ <$5/ea a couple years ago, cashed in 3/4 of them in the last couple months, purchased an inflation-adjusted lifetime annuity with the windfall, and the rest is history...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

The main obection to eddie has been the amount he lives on, 20k.

Sources of passive income (mine, yours, the OP, anyone's) do not have to be from the same source. You are aware of this, yes? I'm not a teenager and cannot go back in time to follow the same course he did. Can you? Probably not. So how would knowing his source of passive income help me or you?

People are asking for this information out of an emotional need to know, not a logical need. We each have to figure out our own sources of passive income.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
These zingers you list are pretty much guaranteed in life. Personally, I just prepare as well as I can but I don't allow the fear of them to dictate what I do or how I live. Stressing out over them seems unhealthy.

In what way do you think the OP isn't prepared for them as well as you are? I think he might be better prepared for them than I am if for no other reason than his advantage of younger age. He could feasibly start all over again; it would be more difficult for me to start over from scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance