Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Had a friend who was sent a new debit card she wasn't expecting. The day it was delivered was the day her set of mailboxes was pried open and mail was stolen from all those units. Her card was taken, cloned, and the numbers sold.

Within days $33,000 was gone from her account from all over the world and finally a check bounced -- which she got notice of four days later. She got all but 3,000 back, because "she didn't report it with in the time limits". They made her report each transaction -- she must have missed that one, or it straggled in under a statement date. She was elderly, and her bank did everything in it's power to make it difficult for her to do so.

You have to understand, while a lot of people are on computers daily, and check often, there is still a large population that don't own computers, and even more who won't transact business on one for fear of theft. So they bank like old timey.... and that takes time...
That's odd of that bank, because when I get new debit cards, I have to call to activate them just like a credit card, answering personal info questions, SS#, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its always better to have someone asking you for payment than them getting the money and you needing to try to get it back from them.
So you keep saying.... but this ^^^ has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I balance my "virtual checkbook" every day (literally) by checking my bank accounts online. Takes <5 minutes to balance to the penny, and I know that any issue will be caught very quickly.
That's 30 hours a year. How many issues have you caught?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
So you keep saying.... but this ^^^ has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
with a debit card, they take your money. so if you believe it was taken wrongly, you now have to approach them to return it. with a credit card, they lay out the money and send you a bill later for payment.

it has very much to do with the subject at hand.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's 30 hours a year. How many issues have you caught?
It's actually probably half that ... I wrote <5 minutes a day.

I haven't caught any fraud on those accounts, but I do catch things like checks that are taking a long time to post, bill payments that haven't cleared yet, etc. I don't think a few minutes a day is a waste of time, as it gives me peace of mind. I am puzzled as to why you seem to think it's sooooooo many hours I'm "wasting," somehow?

(I can tell you I spend a lot more than 15-20 hours a year on mindless crap that doesn't give me peace of mind, as I suspect we all do! )

Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I keep any ID and cards in my back pocket, my cash in my bra, any loose change in my front pocket and I dare anyone besides my husband to try and steal the cash out of my bra.
Yesterday I had a customer pay me with cash...from her bra! I was tempted to not take it but I did. I mean, what could I really say?? I thought it was pretty disgusting at any rate.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... I have never had a debit card because I have thought them to be 'dangerous' all along.
Same here.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610
I keep any ID and cards in my back pocket, my cash in my bra, any loose change in my front pocket and I dare anyone besides my husband to try and steal the cash out of my bra.
Most convenient and safest pockets of all
I keep my truck key there - a left-over habit from my young and wilder days. No matter what happened, I could drive away, LOL.

Never owned a debit card.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

478 posts, read 774,453 times
I got an email from Target saying my name/address/phone number/email address may have been compromised. I didn't shop there in the time frame they've mentioned in the news. The email doesn't mention anything about my credit cards.
What can a thief do with that information -- name, address, etc.? Send me junk mail, call me to sell me something, try and trick me with email phishing... I'm not worried about those things.
And how does Target even know my email address? I mean they could find it out if they really wanted, but that would take effort, and why would they take any effort for one person?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:03 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I got an email from Target saying my name/address/phone number/email address may have been compromised. I didn't shop there in the time frame they've mentioned in the news. The email doesn't mention anything about my credit cards.
What can a thief do with that information -- name, address, etc.? Send me junk mail, call me to sell me something, try and trick me with email phishing... I'm not worried about those things.
And how does Target even know my email address? I mean they could find it out if they really wanted, but that would take effort, and why would they take any effort for one person?
They likely got it from Amazon. Target used to have an Amazon storefront and would/does receive customer information for marketing purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance