Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

The 'real car guys' would probably call me a car-as-appliance person. Which is okay because, hey, while I don't have a Sub-Zero fridge or anything, I like appliances that are easy and low fuss to operate and generally quite reliable. My Bosch dishwasher has been pretty much problem-free for 12 years and just keeps washing along.

I would no more buy a Nissan Versa or Kia Rio than I'd buy a Hotpoint stove. But I'm perfectly happy with the typical non-luxury mid-sized sedan that is reliable, has comfortable seats, and enough power to not worry about passing on hills or highways. That vehicle class just seems to give you so much more for your money than the smaller/bigger cars or SUVs/CUVs do right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
All my vehicles are at least 10 years old and I do not intend to get rid of any of them anytime soon. I keep up on the maintenance and make sure they remain rust free and look nice.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:07 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
A good car is a paid off car. I prefer to save & buy. Even though my credit is great, I'd rather pay myself than a bank.

However, I think people should drive a car they like. As Americans we spend a LOT of time in our cars. I prefer to have a car that at least allows me to enjoy that time.

I was loaned a BMW for a couple weeks... Have to say... There is a reason those are expensive and people like them. I will probably be in the market for one in the future.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I care about what I drive. I don't want a beat up crap bucket, but I dont need the latest widget on the road. I keep my vehicles in top condition. While they are older, they look and run like new. I've driven plenty of cheap junkers when I was a kid and young man. I don't see any reason why I should go driving a pile of **** around.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times
Our cars were all bought new and are paid for.

2007 Suv
2008 Sports car
2011 Pickup truck

While we spent a lot of money, we plan on keeping them for a lot longer.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Anyone else drive this?:

But feel like they drive this?:

I guess kind of like how there are guys who don't like sports, at all, which seems crazy to me. I am completely oblivious to what I drive. I couldn't care less as long as it gets me from point A to point B.

Now that I have a family though, I do think it is nice to have at least one somewhat new car. So I think we will be upgrading our 2005 Toyota Corolla to a 2010 or 2011 cross over next year. Plus, the Corrolla just doesn't have enough room for those long trips with suitcases. Then I can sell the '01 Kia and drive the Corrolla for another 5-10 years.
I am like you. I have never owned or wanted fancy cars. It doesn't matter at all to me what other people think about my vehicle. Also, I commuted to work via public transportation most of my life, and it seemed wasteful to have a $400 payment for a car that sat in a train station lot all day on top of the $400 commutation costs.

Some of the cars I drove over the years were beat up enough that if I wanted to take a car trip for a weekend or something, I would rent one for the trip.

In 2012 I needed to drive several times a week to an airport 66 miles from home for the project I was on at work. At that point I was making better money so I went and bought a 2010 Corolla and passed my old car to my daughter, who was in college. I still have the Toyota. It's got about 80k and I plan to have it for a while. The thing I don't like about it is that the car (and, hell, most of the things in the world) is not made for a tall person. On long drives I have to stop and do some stretching to unkink myself. Even my old Jetta was better in that regard, I think.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-17-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 07:36 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
A good car is a paid off car. I prefer to save & buy. Even though my credit is great, I'd rather pay myself than a bank.

However, I think people should drive a car they like. As Americans we spend a LOT of time in our cars. I prefer to have a car that at least allows me to enjoy that time.

I was loaned a BMW for a couple weeks... Have to say... There is a reason those are expensive and people like them. I will probably be in the market for one in the future.
What exactly is the reason? I am honestly curious.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:32 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
I have never in my life cared about what I drive and have no desire for showy cars. Now I do like my vehicle to look clean and taken care of but otherwise I don't care if it's impressing anyone. Biggest concern is gas cost, reliability and if it's functional for us. My first car was a dodge neon and I loved it. Small, good on gas and drove so well. Plus it was inexpensive and I never had any issues with it. It was a great first car.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Anyone else drive this?:

But feel like they drive this?:

I guess kind of like how there are guys who don't like sports, at all, which seems crazy to me. I am completely oblivious to what I drive. I couldn't care less as long as it gets me from point A to point B.

Now that I have a family though, I do think it is nice to have at least one somewhat new car. So I think we will be upgrading our 2005 Toyota Corolla to a 2010 or 2011 cross over next year. Plus, the Corrolla just doesn't have enough room for those long trips with suitcases. Then I can sell the '01 Kia and drive the Corrolla for another 5-10 years.
It's not how I get there, it's where I'm going.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 AM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
traded in my bmw for a 2012 jeep sahara. likely next year we will get a suburu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance