Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,032 times

Advertisements

I say this is weird, but it may not be that weird; it's simply out of my realm of expertise.

Consider this:

Say a non-profit foundation was bequeathed a house by the estate of a deceased benefactor. The non-profit is in the midst of a fundraising campaign and have decided that it would be best to sell the house.

The house is listed for, say, $725,000. I am not only interested in the house but also very interested and supportive of the mission of this non-profit.

What if I (or someone else) decided to, in a somewhat symbolic gesture, offer double the asking price for the house.

How would this be handled tax-wise, in terms of a charitable contribution deduction? On the one hand, I am purchasing a house. On the other hand, I am making a charitable donation to the foundation for the difference between the asking price and the offer price.

I guess the easiest way to handle the situation would be to perform two separate transactions (house purchase + matching donation).

Any ideas?

[This is hypothetical in terms of the financial details, but based on a potentially true situation.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
In California, property taxes for the first year are based on the final selling price, and increased from there.

So the best option for a Californian would be the two separate transactions (house purchase + matching donation).

In any state, I think that would go over better with the IRS also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance