Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which socioeconomic class am I in?
Upper class 8 13.33%
Upper middle class 26 43.33%
Middle class 15 25.00%
Working class 3 5.00%
Poor 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think he was trolling you.

Probably time to end this thread.
Ding, ding, ding.

The last few posts by the OP have taken a serious (and obvious / non-subtle) trolling turn, and I don't see the point of anyone getting upset and/or responding at this juncture.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
How do you figure upper middle? I was thinking middle. There are no details about the net worth. What type of assets are included in this and how liquid are they? What about retirement savings amounts? There is mention of a car but that is a depreciating asset. There is mention of the parents' property but no mention of valuable real estate owned by the OP himself. Also, is the 90k income gross or net? An income of 90k in one of the more expensive parts of Fairfield country is ok but not optimal. The OP appears to spend generous amounts of money on clothes, hair, travel, eating out, etc. but did not say how much this adds up to at the end of each month. I'd figure that this type of lifestyle isn't not cheap and that it reduces the 90k income significantly.
The fact that he chooses to spend his money on sushi and hair gel makes no difference at all. He makes what he makes. His socioeconomic class is based on his income, not what he spend it on. The median household income in the US is about $51,000 according to the census bureau. The OP claims to make almost twice that much, and he's single. That's why I said upper middle. You'll notice I also gave different answers for his area, and if he had a family on that income.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, we are at a critical time in this country where people are realizing that gay people deserve special rights because of who they are. Get with the program.
No.... It is about EQUAL rights, not special rights. Most of what you posted is probably made up anyway, so whatever.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Upper class, by far.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Are you ******* kidding me? You sound like an ***hole. No wonder you are single. You are a democrat? Yeah right. I dont know if this is for real. But if this is. You are a low self esteem person that just wants attention, or some guy trying to make just trying to troll and make democrats look bad.
OMG. I missed that part! This guy lives under a bridge for sure.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Hello! I was just wondering which social/economic class I would be considered to be in. I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure some of you experts on here can chime in on which social class you think I'm in.

Here are the facts about me to help you make your judgment:
  • I am single, homosexual, 30 and make $90K
  • I have a net worth of about $80K (no debt)
  • I drive a compact sports car that I bought brand new for $20K back in 2008
  • I live in Fairfield County, CT, where 30% of the homes are worth over $1 million
  • I am surrounded by many of America's top 1% of income earners
  • My parents are multi millionaires and own a huge house on 30 acres of land here in CT (looking forward to a wonderful inheritance someday!)
  • My parents also have a vacation home in Florida and another beach house in CT with a boat and multiple SUV's and sports cars
  • My parents own like 20 houses in Hartford and collect rental income from lower class minorities
  • My parents are big time Republicans
  • My parents paid for my entire undergraduate college!
  • I buy most of my groceries at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and eat at least 50% organic
  • I eat sushi every Tuesday for lunch at work
  • I am always outdoors going hiking and trying to stay healthy
  • I travel the country extensively
  • I am an atheist and usually vote Democrat
  • I listen to NPR, Thom Hartmann, Robert Reich and watch MSNBC all the time
  • I'm always on Facebook making posts and trying to get attention
  • I am renting a newly renovated 1 bd apartment for $1,750 a month (month-to-month lease)
  • I wear nice brand clothing like Armani Exchange, Express, but also lower end stuff from Kohl's
  • I get a new haircut every 3 weeks and use two different hair gels every morning
  • I have a Bose Wave Radio and surround sound in my living room, an Oreck vacuum cleaner and two North Face jackets
  • Everything in my apartment is super new and clean (OCD)
  • I have a master's degree in accounting
  • I lived in Manhattan for two years when I was in my 20's
So, based on the above facts about me, would you say I'm in the middle class? Working class? Upper middle? Upper?

Sometimes I think I'm in the upper middle class because the median household income in America is $51K and I'm way above that. But other times I think i'm in the middle class because my metro area has a median household income of $80K. Anyway, I voted for "Upper middle class" for myself in the poll, but I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts!
Between upper middle class and upper.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
Quote:
Well, we are at a critical time in this country where people are realizing that gay people deserve special rights because of who they are. Get with the program.
Dude, gay people aren't special. Just because you like the D doesn't mean you are somehow better then a guy who likes the V. I think the term you're looking for is "equality", meaning equal to.

As for the rest of this post of yours, you have no idea what real money is. I have way more then you do through inheritance and I don't consider it much at all, and I don't spend it either. I take my profits from investments and re-invest them. Compound interest dude, look it up.

You are going to be one of the people who add the the stats regarding inheritance being blown.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
You are going to be one of the people who add the the stats regarding inheritance being blown.

^^This is what I'm thinking^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance