Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which socioeconomic class am I in?
Upper class 8 13.33%
Upper middle class 26 43.33%
Middle class 15 25.00%
Working class 3 5.00%
Poor 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was just wondering which social/economic class I would be considered to be in. I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure some of you experts on here can chime in on which social class you think I'm in.

Here are the facts about me to help you make your judgment:
  • I am single, homosexual, 30 and make $90K
  • I have a net worth of about $80K (no debt)
  • I drive a compact sports car that I bought brand new for $20K back in 2008
  • I live in Fairfield County, CT, where 30% of the homes are worth over $1 million
  • I am surrounded by many of America's top 1% of income earners
  • My parents are multi millionaires and own a huge house on 30 acres of land here in CT (looking forward to a wonderful inheritance someday!)
  • My parents also have a vacation home in Florida and another beach house in CT with a boat and multiple SUV's and sports cars
  • My parents own like 20 houses in Hartford and collect rental income from lower class minorities
  • My parents are big time Republicans
  • My parents paid for my entire undergraduate college!
  • I buy most of my groceries at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and eat at least 50% organic
  • I eat sushi every Tuesday for lunch at work
  • I am always outdoors going hiking and trying to stay healthy
  • I travel the country extensively
  • I am an atheist and usually vote Democrat
  • I listen to NPR, Thom Hartmann, Robert Reich and watch MSNBC all the time
  • I'm always on Facebook making posts and trying to get attention
  • I am renting a newly renovated 1 bd apartment for $1,750 a month (month-to-month lease)
  • I wear nice brand clothing like Armani Exchange, Express, but also lower end stuff from Kohl's
  • I get a new haircut every 3 weeks and use two different hair gels every morning
  • I have a Bose Wave Radio and surround sound in my living room, an Oreck vacuum cleaner and two North Face jackets
  • Everything in my apartment is super new and clean (OCD)
  • I have a master's degree in accounting
  • I lived in Manhattan for two years when I was in my 20's
So, based on the above facts about me, would you say I'm in the middle class? Working class? Upper middle? Upper?

Sometimes I think I'm in the upper middle class because the median household income in America is $51K and I'm way above that. But other times I think i'm in the middle class because my metro area has a median household income of $80K. Anyway, I voted for "Upper middle class" for myself in the poll, but I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts!

Last edited by nep321; 07-21-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM

323 posts, read 428,809 times
POOR is in.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Most of that post has zero to do with socioeconomic class....

Listen to NPR?
Use hair gel?
Seriously?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Most of that post has zero to do with socioeconomic class....

Listen to NPR?
Use hair gel?
Seriously?
Sushi on Tuesdays ? Lol

Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hello! I was just wondering which social/economic class I would be considered to be in. I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure some of you experts on here can chime in on which social class you think I'm in.

Here are the facts about me to help you make your judgment:
  • I am single, homosexual, 30 and make $90K
  • I have a net worth of about $80K (no debt)
  • I drive a compact sports car that I bought brand new for $20K back in 2008
  • I live in Fairfield County, CT, where 30% of the homes are worth over $1 million
  • I am surrounded by many of America's top 1% of income earners
  • My parents are multi millionaires and own a huge house on 30 acres of land here in CT (looking forward to a wonderful inheritance someday!)
  • My parents also have a vacation home in Florida and another beach house in CT with a boat and multiple SUV's and sports cars
  • My parents own like 20 houses in Hartford and collect rental income from lower class minorities
  • My parents are big time Republicans
  • My parents paid for my entire undergraduate college!
  • I buy most of my groceries at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and eat at least 50% organic
  • I eat sushi every Tuesday for lunch at work
  • I am always outdoors going hiking and trying to stay healthy
  • I travel the country extensively
  • I am an atheist and usually vote Democrat
  • I listen to NPR, Thom Hartmann, Robert Reich and watch MSNBC all the time
  • I'm always on Facebook making posts and trying to get attention
  • I am renting a newly renovated 1 bd apartment for $1,750 a month (month-to-month lease)
  • I wear nice brand clothing like Armani Exchange, Express, but also lower end stuff from Kohl's
  • I get a new haircut every 3 weeks and use two different hair gels every morning
  • I have a Bose Wave Radio and surround sound in my living room, an Oreck vacuum cleaner and two North Face jackets
  • Everything in my apartment is super new and clean (OCD)
  • I have a master's degree in accounting
  • I lived in Manhattan for two years when I was in my 20's
So, based on the above facts about me, would you say I'm in the middle class? Working class? Upper middle? Upper?

Sometimes I think I'm in the upper middle class because the median household income in America is $51K and I'm way above that. But other times I think i'm in the middle class because my metro area has a median household income of $80K. Anyway, I voted for "Upper middle class" for myself in the poll, but I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts!
I bolded the parts that actually factor into your socioeconomic status. Aside from your politics, you pretty much sound like a ... oh never mind. It isn't worth getting put in a timeout for. I'm going to say upper middle, wishing you were upper. On that income, if you had a spouse and a kid, you'd be middle. For your area, I'd say you are lower middle.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I bolded the parts that actually factor into your socioeconomic status. Aside from your politics, you pretty much sound like a ... oh never mind. It isn't worth getting put in a timeout for. I'm going to say upper middle, wishing you were upper. On that income, if you had a spouse and a kid, you'd be middle. For your area, I'd say you are lower middle.
But how am I "lower middle" if I make $10K higher than the median income in my area?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
But how am I "lower middle" if I make $10K higher than the median income in my area?
Was that detail included in your OP? You've sure thought about this a lot for claiming to have never thought about it.

Do the math yourself, accountant.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Do the math yourself, accountant.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Honestly, why do you care? Social comparison breeds dissatisfaction because there's always someone with more than you; and humans have a strong tendency to compare up, instead of down.

Instead of comparing yourself to others, re-focus your energy on what matters to you, says Sally Anne Giedrys, a Portland, Oregon-based career coach. “The more we pay attention to others, the less we are grounded in ourselves and what matters to us,” she says. “It can be fueled by a lack of purpose, direction, or commitment within our own lives.”

Want To Be Happier? Stop Comparing Yourself To What You See On Social Media | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Just be grateful your parents paid for your college and you have a decent paying job. That will actually lead to more happiness.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 07-21-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, why do you care? Social comparison breeds dissatisfaction because there's always someone with more than you; and humans have a strong tendency to compare up, instead of down.

Instead of comparing yourself to others, re-focus your energy on what matters to you, says Sally Anne Giedrys, a Portland, Oregon-based career coach. “The more we pay attention to others, the less we are grounded in ourselves and what matters to us,” she says. “It can be fueled by a lack of purpose, direction, or commitment within our own lives.”

Want To Be Happier? Stop Comparing Yourself To What You See On Social Media | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Just be grateful your parents paid for you college and you have a decent paying job. That will actually lead to more happiness.
Well, I'm planning to buy a house within the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance