Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes, with the caveat that only past income can be known, future income is uncertain. The risk can be minimized by considering how stable your field is and how likely you could find equal employment elsewhere should something happen to your job.

I certainly would not advise oil workers in North Dakota to buy the most house they can qualify for. Once the oil is gone they are headed straight to foreclosure.

OTOH, most white collar workers with advanced degrees have much more stable income.
Right. It's lovely that one of the quotes is from someone that has always had enough income to pay his debts but many if not most Americans will face an income crisis at some point and expensive cars and houses aren't the easiest to just dump onto the market in a crunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
Who gets 3.5% on a 30-year fixed?
I got 3.375%.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Boils down to risk tolerance and personal philosophy.

Until fairly recently, I was usually way leveraged. Now I'm cash basis on everything except real estate, where I owe about half the value of a pair of homes. No way will I pay extra on 3.8% mortgages when I can buy great investments with higher dividends that tend to grow over time. But apart from that, don't want the debt.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I think there's a huge difference between buying more than you need (the Range Rover/Audi) because you can borrow the money and going without something you're going to purchase anyway because you don't want to borrow(riding a bike 20 miles to work because you can't pay for the car in cash).
There's opportunity cost to consider, as well. Let's say you're planning to buy a used car. You've got a good income but no cash savings beyond your emergency fund so you adjust your budget to save $833 a month so you can pay cash for a $10,000 car a year from now.

But then you find out that your friend, who's going through a divorce, has a car that fits your needs perfectly that he'll sell for $6,000 because he needs cash fast. At 8% (maybe he could do better, but it's a small, short-term loan so the rates will be higher than normal) he would pay just over $200 spread out over the course of a year to borrow the money in order to save $4,000 a year from now. That seems like a pretty good use of debt to me, and possibly even better if you already have a car that you will be selling that's worth more now than it will be a year from now. Not to mention the fact that you will have an additional $300 a month available in the budget.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There's opportunity cost to consider, as well. Let's say you're planning to buy a used car. You've got a good income but no cash savings beyond your emergency fund so you adjust your budget to save $833 a month so you can pay cash for a $10,000 car a year from now.

But then you find out that your friend, who's going through a divorce, has a car that fits your needs perfectly that he'll sell for $6,000 because he needs cash fast. At 8% (maybe he could do better, but it's a small, short-term loan so the rates will be higher than normal) he would pay just over $200 spread out over the course of a year to borrow the money in order to save $4,000 a year from now. That seems like a pretty good use of debt to me, and possibly even better if you already have a car that you will be selling that's worth more now than it will be a year from now. Not to mention the fact that you will have an additional $300 a month available in the budget.
Although in Jeo123's example you'd not have extra money, quite the opposite. A car is more expensive to own than a bike, barring extreme cases.

Of course I think the best answer is move close to work and rent a room while saving the cash, but if you are married or have a family that may not be practical and biking can be impractical in hot weather.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
We got close. 3.7%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If I had paid more in points I could have, but I went 3.625%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I got 3.375%.
3.625 here (Jeo and I tied! I don't think I paid more points either). Only Mizzourah beats the 3.5%, but the point is, it's really not unheard of.

I am consumer debt free though. All I have is the mortgage. Although after I get my emergency fund where I want it, the mortgage is next. I plan on paying extra on the mortgage an paying it off in half the time (make payments on my 30-year mortgage like it was a 15-year mortgage). Should be easy, it's just a few hundred dollars more a month. I save more in my emergency fund per month than I would need to pay off the mortgage early (I could pay the mortgage early and still save a few extra hundred a month).

Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
A lot of people did. I have a client who got 3% on a 30 year fixed on one of his rental houses. What a deal.

Edit: I got 4.125 through Harp; not bad considering I was at nearly 150% LTV.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 PM

658 posts, read 723,884 times
3.5% here from Quicken Loans, but I paid it off already. It was a refi with no closing cost. Been with them for a few years only.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Although in Jeo123's example you'd not have extra money, quite the opposite. A car is more expensive to own than a bike, barring extreme cases.
Fair enough, my point was really based on a subject that already owned or used a car and was looking ahead to replacing it, but I didn't make that perfectly clear.

Buying now might still result in savings vs. riding a bike for a year, though, depending on the subject's lifestyle. You'd have to weight the cost of ownership (fuel, R&M, insurance, parking fees if appicable) vs. cost of non-ownership (purchase and maintenance of a bike, public trans fares in bad weather, delivery charges, rental fees for trips out of town).

And remember, I'm talking about a significant discount buying now rather than a year from now, not buying now or a year from now at or close to the same price.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
I don't mind debt as long as the effective interest rate is below the long-term after-tax returns of relatively conservative investments. I have debt: a mortgage and a 0% credit card balance transfer. The latter I have the funds to pay off anytime I want although it'll start charging interest in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance