Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Welfare mama: "I thougth I lost my EBT card, but I found it at the bottom of my Coach Purse right next to my iPhone 6 and the keys to the Escelade."
You have been listening to too much right wing propaganda. That's not an EBT card, that's a debit card, and they are paying cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
The EBT cards here are very easily recognizable. The entire card is covered with an American flag.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think the health insurance bill of
$1k/month was probably for someone with a chronic condition that causes them to hit their OOP-max every single year without fail. Or possibly a chain smoker.

Although I do not use Obamacare, the cheapest plan for me (male, late 20's, non-smoker) would cost $110/month, plus deductibles and co-pays. (This is with NO subsidy, mind you.) The latter for me are very low (knock on wood!) and would be so on any health plan. Averaged over the last 6 years, I'm at $160/year even if I had to pay it all out of pocket.

I have insurance through my employer. It's overpriced ($600+ per month), but the employer covers most of it, so only $103/month is taken from my pay. I wish they would offer a plan like mine but with a higher deductible. Oh well.
The cheapest plan in my area is well over $600/mo not including deductible and copays.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Your insurance costs for a 2014 vehicle seem more in line to what we pay than the other poster's claim of $200/month for a used vehicle. I just think that's extremely high for a used car. We've lived in high cost of living areas too and never paid that much.

I just feel it's important to share what our costs are for those people who feel they can never afford a car because they are scared off by the high expenses stated by other posters.
I pay $200/mo for a used vehicle without collision. And my driving record is spotless for the last 4 years. And again, as I mentioned earlier, just to register the car is around $300-350 a year.

Also, no one seems to factor in the cost of a replacement vehicle when calculating transportation expenses. To leave that cost out is to assume an income that will rise, which is a pretty iffy proposition in today's economy.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You have been listening to too much right wing propaganda. That's not an EBT card, that's a debit card, and they are paying cash.
What I am saying may sound like a joke but it is a fact. I was behind a woman that was wearing stylish clothes. She had a nice phone. she also had a Coach purse. i know she was paying with either an EBT card or food stamps because the woman ringing her up informed her that one of the items she could not purchase with her form of payment. She ended up paying cash for that item. I only had a couple items and walked past this lady putting her bags into the back of her Big Caddy SUV.

As far as Right wing, I have to go with what is best for the Nation and liberalism is to way off base for this great Nation of ours.

People need to realize that they don't need the Government to help them out. We as a people are resilient and can find a way to make it in life without the help of Big Government.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What I am saying may sound like a joke but it is a fact. I was behind a woman that was wearing stylish clothes. She had a nice phone. she also had a Coach purse. i know she was paying with either an EBT card or food stamps because the woman ringing her up informed her that one of the items she could not purchase with her form of payment. She ended up paying cash for that item. I only had a couple items and walked past this lady putting her bags into the back of her Big Caddy SUV.

As far as Right wing, I have to go with what is best for the Nation and liberalism is to way off base for this great Nation of ours.

People need to realize that they don't need the Government to help them out. We as a people are resilient and can find a way to make it in life without the help of Big Government.
I'm not going to argue with what you observed, and I would also find it frustrating, but I do not think she represents the vast majority of SNAP recipients. About twenty-five percent of the United States is food insecure. That's a lot of people who are worried about where they are going to get their next meal.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I pay $200/mo for a used vehicle without collision. And my driving record is spotless for the last 4 years. And again, as I mentioned earlier, just to register the car is around $300-350 a year.

Also, no one seems to factor in the cost of a replacement vehicle when calculating transportation expenses. To leave that cost out is to assume an income that will rise, which is a pretty iffy proposition in today's economy.
Don't worry - I've been taking lots of people to task on this issue here on C-D for over two years now...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
If we put as much effort in improving welfare and closing exploited welfare loopholes as we do trying to discrediting/dismantle these systems/programs, we would be in a better place. The systems would work better toward their true intent... helping this country's citizens.

This is no different than anything else in government. Politicians that point out deficiencies rather than point out improvements are usually politically driven. They protect/hide deficiencies in their "pet" projects and highlight the deficiencies they deem serve the other political party.

The wealthy also exploit loopholes in the tax code (among other things).... which in my book is no different than the poor exploiting loopholes in the welfare system.

No system is perfect... more so if its freshly implemented. Fix it.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If we put as much effort in improving welfare and closing exploited welfare loopholes as we do trying to discrediting/dismantle these systems/programs, we would be in a better place. The systems would work better toward their true intent... helping this country's citizens.

This is no different than anything else in government. Politicians that point out deficiencies rather than point out improvements are usually politically driven. They protect/hide deficiencies in their "pet" projects and highlight the deficiencies they deem serve the other political party.

The wealthy also exploit loopholes in the tax code (among other things).... which in my book is no different than the poor exploiting loopholes in the welfare system.

No system is perfect... more so if its freshly implemented. Fix it.
We all can use the same "loopholes".

Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not going to argue with what you observed, and I would also find it frustrating, but I do not think she represents the vast majority of SNAP recipients. About twenty-five percent of the United States is food insecure. That's a lot of people who are worried about where they are going to get their next meal.
I had no idea the number of people that use SNAP. I didn't even know what SNAP was until I read the term here in this thread.

In 2007 the number of people using SNAP was 27,613,729 people. In Obamas first year in office the numbers jumped to 38,978,382 and as of November 2014 the numbers were at 46,271,508 people using the program. Things have gotten worse under this President. He is in his 7th year and things have gotten much worse. I would say that this war on poverty is a lost cause and we need to give up the fight. We have not done anything to make it better but everything to make it worse. I don't 25% of the people using the program but still the numbers of people on it are way more than their should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance