Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sure, I want a small house but do not expect to ever again be able to live in one.

I'm living in an 8-person, 4BR house. (Two people live in common areas.) Right before that I lived in a 10-person, 5BR house. (The owners and their grandson slept in the living room.)

The thing about window air conditioners is they come in numerous size and capacity options. As a poor person who lives with other poor people, my experience has been with cheap low-end window air conditioners.
only because your not willing to work for it:
http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.c...f-homelessness

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 03-11-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
And if the state you're in is too expensive: MOVE. I moved out of CA to a much cheaper state. Best thing we ever did. I love Malibu, but I can't afford to live there. This is the biggest "duh concept" ever.

The whole "the economy is bad and wages aren't keeping up" is a joke of an argument. My grandparents who starved during the depression would be appalled if they were still here to see this nonsense.

Alley
Amen. We moved out of CA too. And our kids and their friends are following us.

Sometimes you just need to make some strategic decisions for your family and luckily we live in a huge country with many choices.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Actually, the very fact that you had to move proves our argument.
Yeah, and Maui "should" be more affordable too.

Alley

Old 03-12-2015, 05:06 PM

696 posts, read 905,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Maybe if you don't like the "means" that you have to work with, it would be a good idea to look at how you can improve yourself to increase your standard of living.

I don't see how complaining about rich people will make anyone's life better. However, spending less that what you bring in, saving, investing, looking for ways to improve yourself--how could that be bad?

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to afford a $750,000 house. But you could go in with relatives or friends and buy a house you can afford. Then fix it up nights and weekends and sell it in a few years and buy a nicer one. But that would involve actual work and staying on a careful budget and--Oh, God--living within your means. Probably too hard. Easier to complain.
Most people who say things like this were born with rich or at least middle class parents and have no idea what real poverty is like or how hard it is to try to get better education when you have no money to start from and your rich mommy and daddy aren't paying for your college and housing. And don't even get me started on what a bad idea it is for people from poor backgrounds to get student loans.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
only because your not willing to work for it:
My Story of Homelessness - Simple Solar Homesteading

I could earn good money in a drunk-free living environment. Since alcoholism is not the norm, I think I'm not asking too much.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
I could earn good money in a drunk-free living environment. Since alcoholism is not the norm, I think I'm not asking too much.
WTF! How does that correlate!?!

And don't feed me that bull****! I've lived in a Marine Barrics.... Still got to work every morning for 0500 PT!

Also: your comment had NOTHING to do with my post!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Most people who say things like this were born with rich or at least middle class parents and have no idea what real poverty is like or how hard it is to try to get better education when you have no money to start from and your rich mommy and daddy aren't paying for your college and housing. And don't even get me started on what a bad idea it is for people from poor backgrounds to get student loans.
Most poor people are also stupid. Education won't do them any good, and they would just flunk out of school. The advice on bettering yourself obviously only applies to those people who are not naturally inferior.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
In the last 30 years, what happened when you lived with non-alcoholics? How much higher was your income?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
come , on you know the planets were not in alignment for those 30 years , it wasn't his fault.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In the last 30 years, what happened when you lived with non-alcoholics? How much higher was your income?

About 30 percent, although I'm not sure how relevant that is, because for two-thirds of that time I was not selling online. My peak earning years were 1997-2001, when I was actively selling online.

And drunks are fine with me as long as they don't have landlord or employment power over me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance