Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,997,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not really, because zoning precludes the availability of property I could afford to purchase.
Um, it's not zoning that's the cause. But you keep thinking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,030,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Blame everyone else! Never look in the mirror!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:36 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you live in a Republic. if you want every decision made to be voted on by popular opinion, you need to find a different country to reside in.
And you are also missing the point. I never said I wanted a direct democracy. I am merely pointing out that we do not know what a majority of constituents want if we look only at policy decisions. That's it. It is an epistemological limitation - meaning you can't just assert that most people in an area agree with the policy, unless you do a poll. Everything else is things being read into the comment I neither said nor meant.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, actually, except maybe the last 10 years or so. My father worked for a state department and they needed plenty of mainframes to run everything. The first round of layoffs was in February 2003. Before that the demand was as high as ever.

Even otherwise, the thing about programming is once you know how to program in one computer language, it's much easier to learn the next. If you can program mainframes the skills can be repurposed. In my own career there is also a good amount of programming involved. I can speak from firsthand experience that it is much easier to become proficient in subsequent computer languages than it was in the first.

I still am not buying the idea that your skills out of college couldn't have found a use.

The thing about mainframes is their coding has declined since about 1980, but programmers don't lose their coding skills, so the supply of mainframe coders has been ample for over 30 years.

I graduated in the Rust Belt at the bottom of the Carter recession. Only STEM majors were regionally in demand at the time.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:10 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Baloney. I've already given examples of habitable housing that is eminently affordable to someone making a making a modest income or even someone of very limited means willing to take on a roommate. The problem is that you apparently find that kind of neighborhood unacceptable. Well, then, if you want better, then you need to do something about improving your income situation. It's as simple as that.
Exactly.

freemkt feels entitled to live in desirable neighborhoods without putting in the effort required to afford it.

He thinks if someone would only let him set up a shack in the back yard, he'd magically be able to afford it. But of course that's absurd - old smallish homes in my neighborhood are going for 500k+. A row house might set one back 750k. A one bedroom apartment costs several hundred k. The exceedingly rare empty land costs more than freemkt has earned in his entire lifetime, and it would require considerable work to make it build-able.

But somehow, if only we'd let him and fifty of his closest deadbeats set up shacks in backyards, it'd magically be affordable to someone who isn't even willing to work a full time minimum wage job.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

I had a deal to purchase a house for $40K, zoning got in the way.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
i am sure it did.

that is why neighborhoods do not have welded shipping containers set up as homes on the cheap.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:40 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,997,448 times
Quote:
I had a deal to purchase a house for $40K, zoning got in the way.
You THINK it was zoning that got in the way, but the reality is that you might have been able to buy the house (doubtful, since you have trouble making a meager rent payment currently), but you would not have been able to afford the cost of splitting the lot and all the costs associated with that? Or the upkeep all the years? Or taxes and insurance?

If you had truly been intent on buying a home, you would have evaluated your financial situation, and changed it to fit in homeownership. But in your typical fashion, you have one "perfect" situation in your mind, and when that one thing fails to work out, you quit.

That's what got on your way.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,427,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Certain posters on the Economics forums attempt to perpetuate the myth that Millenials are all over-educated, under-employed slackers still living at home or with a gaggle of roomies because they're weighed down with college loans and low wages. The reality, of course, is much different because the older millenials (who are only hitting their mid thirties) are doing what young adults in their late twenties and early/mid thirties have always done: moving up in their careers, buying homes, starting families.
very true - i would add though that for this generation (i'm 33), many of us are doing it a couple of years later mostly because more of us need to go to college (more jobs require it now even if what you study has nothing to do with what you do), and many more do graduate programs.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
The thing about mainframes is their coding has declined since about 1980, but programmers don't lose their coding skills, so the supply of mainframe coders has been ample for over 30 years.

I graduated in the Rust Belt at the bottom of the Carter recession. Only STEM majors were regionally in demand at the time.
Why didn't you try to adapt your skills? Sure, it may have taken 3 years to get a decent job, but better 3 than your entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance