Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,411 times

Advertisements

Well, after all the 2009-2011 years were the best to buy RE in a generation. As usual hindsight is 20-20 but this was the time to make your move. It sure was difficult as going against a chorus of doomers and tight credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When will you understand? It's not that the rent is high, it's that their income is low.

Yes, and I have proposed a solution which does not involve more government.

You appear to not propose any solution.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,009,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Well, after all the 2009-2011 years were the best to buy RE in a generation. As usual hindsight is 20-20 but this was the time to make your move. It sure was difficult as going against a chorus of doomers and tight credit.
The people who got in the years from 2009 to 2014 or so, especially in California, are going to do well in the coming years.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Also the best time to buy stocks. Your portfolio could have returned 100%-200% by now. Does it come as anyone's surprise that a recession is the best time to buy anything but bonds?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,986,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, and I have proposed a solution which does not involve more government.

You appear to not propose any solution.
I prefer solutions that don't turn neighborhoods into high density slums.

I've proposed many solutions but for every one, you have 10 excuses.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I prefer solutions that don't turn neighborhoods into high density slums.

I've proposed many solutions but for every one, you have 10 excuses.

You prefer imposing your standards on poor people and thereby stealing money from them in the form of exorbitant rents? On one hand you say they should live below their means, on the other hand you want to jack up the costs required for them to live.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You prefer imposing your standards on poor people and thereby stealing money from them in the form of exorbitant rents? On one hand you say they should live below their means, on the other hand you want to jack up the costs required for them to live.
No one is stealing money from you. You simply don't have the income to live in the places you want to live. The solution to that is simple - get a job instead of whining all day on the internet.

But since we're on the subject of stealing, why do you think you should be able to come in to my neighborhood and set up a slum next door to my house? How is lowering your neighbors' property values not stealing in your world? Oh right, it's because you feel entitled. You feel that everyone else owes you something and everyone around you should have to give up piles of equity accumulated through the years just so you can have what you want without having to work for it.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No one is stealing money from you. You simply don't have the income to live in the places you want to live. The solution to that is simple - get a job instead of whining all day on the internet.

But since we're on the subject of stealing, why do you think you should be able to come in to my neighborhood and set up a slum next door to my house? How is lowering your neighbors' property values not stealing in your world? Oh right, it's because you feel entitled. You feel that everyone else owes you something and everyone around you should have to give up piles of equity accumulated through the years just so you can have what you want without having to work for it.

That's an interesting concept. There are people where I live planning tiny houses to rent for $400-$600 a month. Since I'm paying $500 a month to rent a room in an 8-person house, it's hard to argue that I can't afford to live in a $400 tiny house.

I have a job, which pays poorly, and would rather work for myself as an online reseller. I can't do that in my current living situation, but could do it in a tiny house. The added income would be a bonus.

I'm not trying to move into your neighborhood, only to live affordably where I already live. And I just looked up the definition of slum, I'm not talking about squalid and overcrowded. How would I lower my neighbors' property values? And what right do they have to increase my property values?

Thomas Sowell has demonstrated that zoning redistributes income from renters to owners. Do you dispute that? Do you understand economics better than he? If that is not stealing, what do you call it?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 AM

106,771 posts, read 108,973,015 times
go to a trailer park , simple answer. that is why they have them. i certainly don't wan't my neighborhood look to like cambodia with tiny shacks all over filled with people who can't afford regular size homes..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
go to a trailer park , simple answer. that is why they have them. i certainly don't wan't my neighborhood look to like cambodia with tiny shacks all over filled with people who can't afford regular size homes..

But you're okay with regular size homes stuffed with 8-10 people who struggle to pay exorbitant rents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance