Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM

107,465 posts, read 109,901,443 times

Advertisements

Neither are 400 sq foot homes in most neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 AM

18,569 posts, read 15,699,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Right, and this is why the zoning laws are a problem for low-income individuals and families. I agree with freemkt on this issue - in the absence of demonstrable social harm to small houses, they should be legalized.

Granted, if it turns out that tiny houses actually increase crime (for example), then I can understand them being illegal.

Absent that, it is a victimless crime and by extension an encroachment upon civil liberties.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Hmmm, where should childless singles live? Apartments? Trailers? Rooming houses?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,477,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Who cares? The point is, these things are luxuries you can do without. Humans are really bad at assessing risk. If you're so freaked out about the risk of being in a crash, then set up your life so that you drive less.
having a bunch of the newer safety features also allows you to get insurance discounts. it's not about being "freaked out about the risk of being in a crash" so much as it is taking advantage of easily obtained safety features to reduce injury IF you do get into an accident.

if you're so freaked out about debt, then follow david ramsey's advice. if not, then use debt to your advantage.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
having a bunch of the newer safety features also allows you to get insurance discounts. it's not about being "freaked out about the risk of being in a crash" so much as it is taking advantage of easily obtained safety features to reduce injury IF you do get into an accident.

if you're so freaked out about debt, then follow david ramsey's advice. if not, then use debt to your advantage.
How? They don't offer 30 year fixed rate margin loans. If you live in an area where it makes no financial sense to own any property and you already got your education debt free, what is left? Especially if you aren't already buying anything where zero or low rate financing is offered.

Believe me, if I could get a 30-year fixed rate loan at mortgage rates for a stock portfolio, I'd likely be in debt.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,801,011 times
NIMBY!

Seriously if you put these tiny houses in a typical residential neighborhood parking will quickly become an issue.

But, I have no problems with tiny house communities, they are like nicer trailer parks. A tiny home gated HOA would be great. You could have lots of tiny homes, a community center, a grassy area, and since its a gated community it won't affect others minus slightly higher traffic density.

I like the idea soley from a power consumption prospect, no sense in heating or cooling a 2,000 square foot or larger house (I loved my 1,000 square foot apt back east, but different people live in apts on the west coast and it's not my scene, so giant SFH it is).

Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
NIMBY!

Seriously if you put these tiny houses in a typical residential neighborhood parking will quickly become an issue.
Maybe a tiny home on top of a large garage would work.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:34 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,038,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Imposing my standards how? Homeowners are free to live in an HOA with whatever standards they choose. I want the option of tiny affordable houses, clearly we both cannot have our choice.
You shriek to the heavens about "freedom", but want to take away mine. I don't WANT to live in an area with HOA's. But I do like the zoning laws in my city. That is my choice. YOU are free to live in a trailer park, or move to an area that does allow smaller lots and houses. That is YOUR choice.

Clearly, we CAN both have our choice, but your's would require a move or some sort of compromise. I've made my choice, but you want to take mine from me. Nice.....

It's really all a moot point, though. You seem to think that an option floated to you 30 years ago would have given you the living environment that you desire. Sadly, the truth is that you most likely would have lost the house, because you wrongly assumed that home ownership is the same cost as renting, because the a) mortgage payment is the same as rent (ignoring taxes, upkeep and insurance) and b) homeowners pay a LOT less in taxes than renters (which is far from the truth).

Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,038,052 times
Quote:
Precisely why I want and need the affordability a freer market would bring.

You seem to be saying, I've got mine, ***** you!
Got that right. It's called life. And what you pay for anything is no concern of mine.

I worked hard for "mine". You, not so much.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,053,340 times
Quote:
Precisely why I want and need the affordability a freer market would bring.

You seem to be saying, I've got mine, ***** you!
You're always welcome to move somewhere that allows what you're looking for. But it seems you'd rather change the rules where you're at (obviously not what the majority in your area want) instead of moving somewhere else. Can't remember where you hail from exactly, but something says it's a city that's not the most affordable, which is your problem #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance