Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,130 times

Advertisements

I am fairly uneducated in the world of investing, but the lack of performance in my existing IRA accounts is forcing me to learn more. I want to start by dumping my lowest performing account and open a new account. From my research it seems like either Fidelity, Vanguard or T Rowe Price is the way to go. It also sounds like most people prefer a self managed accounts over a managed account. I'm already retired so obviously want to keep the risk low, but of course I still need a decent return. Ideally I’d like $100K to return a minimum of 6% so I can draw a little off each month to supplement my income without dipping into the principal. Any suggestions or advice on accounts & funds would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
What Is the plan if we are down for an extended period of time ?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Good question mathjak107 ... I guess I don't have a good answer for that ... keep risk as low as possible .... and hope for the best ....

Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM

it will really matter how you invest as far as that . very different plan pulling in good and bad times as well as what about inflation adjusting ?

it matters what your plan is since you don't want to be liquidating equities at a loss in a down market in which case you would have to treat this as a retiree would who wants a secure consistant income off their investments.

very different plan and allocations then just some spending money when we are up would require..

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-10-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Ideally I’d like $100K to return a minimum of 6% so I can draw a little off each month to supplement my income without dipping into the principal.
Basically like mathjack is saying you can't get 6% without dipping into principal without taking on stock market risk, which has wide swings. You can probably get 4-5% at most from bonds. If you want 6% plus, then you'd better be able to deal with a multi-year down market.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Why not just change up the investment mix within your existing IRA?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 AM

Default Poor performing managed acct vs self managed acct

My current IRA is a managed account and they are just not cutting it. Poor return, terrible web site and no customer support. My research shows most people rate Vanguard pretty high because of their low fees and well performing funds. My thought right now is to transfer everything to a Vanguard self managed account. I can start with their Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 Fund (VTXVX) to move things around as I gain more knowledge.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,436,648 times
just transfer it to vanguard and invest in vanguard funds. low expense ratios and take control yourself.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49424 View Post
My current IRA is a managed account and they are just not cutting it. Poor return, terrible web site and no customer support. My research shows most people rate Vanguard pretty high because of their low fees and well performing funds. My thought right now is to transfer everything to a Vanguard self managed account. I can start with their Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 Fund (VTXVX) to move things around as I gain more knowledge.

when you say managed account , are they controlling your money and doing all the asset allocation or do you mean just managed funds vs index funds ?

if they are funds ,what funds are they ?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 AM

Good morning mathjak107 ... as I said before .... I'm not that financially savvy, so I was letting them do all the asset allocation ... extra fees with that of course. There's a balance of different funds (with lots of buys & sells) but none are performing very well. I know, not the best way to do it. But they assured me I could get my target 6% return after all the fees ... and like cars salesmen ... they didn't do what they said they could. So they had their chance and now it's time for me to take better control and get my feet wet doing it myself. But still taking the conservative approach, as much as I can, and possibly get a little guidance here. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance