Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Me too. I had to pay capital gains on a home I sold, then the govt changed the rules and if I'd waited 2 years, I would have been able to keep that money.

It's called life. Deal with it.

So I'm paying way more and getting less, so don't complain that I'm in debt.

Just imagine if every student loan borrower had 7% debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It does if A has crappy credit, and can't refi. Isn't that really the situation here?

Although I'm pretty sure that both mortgages would have been paid off by now. After all, it's been 30 years since the original loan.

Credit is irrelevant, can't refi my existing student loan.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Credit is irrelevant, can't refi my existing student loan.
You've ignored multiple posts telling you that if you can find someone willing to offer you a lower rate, you can refinance. No one has to offer you that rate though.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Apparently I had first mover disadvantage; the borrowers with the low interest rates borrowed after I did, hence changing the rules in the middle of the game.
And you could have reset the rate had you chosen to, probably.

Each of the loans my 3 oldest kids are carrying gave them the option to reset and consolidate separate ones at some point.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
Quote:
Reading these forums I see a lot of people with student loans in the neighborhood of 2-4 percent interest.

Mine are at 7 percent.

What's up with that?
Do something about it. When my wife finished undergrad in 2004, she had $6K in subsidized student loans at 6.8%. In 2008, she finished law school and an LL.M degree and amassed a total of $230K of student loan debt at a weighted average interest of 7.26%. She had a mix of subsidized, unsubsidized, FFELP, PLUS, private, and Perkins loans through a variety of loan services including the DOE, Sallie Mae, Access Group, and the University of Southern California.

At a monthly obligation of $2,200, we knew we had to do something. We switched her lowest fixed-interest loans to interest only, because it was so cheap to borrow and repay the loan at 2.50%. Next, we switched all her 10-year repayment loans to a 25-year repayment schedule. We took advantage of all interest rate reductions by enrolling in auto-pay and making 6 on-time payments. Then we consolidated loans which didn't offer interest rate reductions into loan services who did, thereby cutting another .5% off those loans. This brought our monthly payments to $1,300 down from $2,200.

The $900 we "saved" each month was used to pay down the principal of her highest interest rate loans, which were 9.5%. We also sent any extra money we had from financial gifts, bonuses, and etc to pay down the principal of the highest interest rate loans. 4 years, later we whittled her debt down to $160K at an average interest rate of 4.56%. We are currently 7 years out and we owe $32K at 3% with a monthly payment of $200.

There are now banks and institutions such as Social Financial (SoFi), DR Bank, Lendkey, Citizens Bank, and etc, who will refinance your loans according to your credit score and professional outlook that really seem interesting. There's a little controversy since these institutions are essentially cherry-picking low risk loan holders and leaving the less desirable loan holders for the federal government and other institutions. One thing you should consider is your ability and desire to repay your loans as cheap and quickly as possible, versus the flexibility that federal loans provide (such as flexible repayment options).

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why can't you get paid what I get paid? It's not fair
Why don't I look like Jennifer Aniston? It's not fair.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Do something about it. When my wife finished undergrad in 2004, she had $6K in subsidized student loans at 6.8%. In 2008, she finished law school and an LL.M degree and amassed a total of $230K of student loan debt at a weighted average interest of 7.26%. She had a mix of subsidized, unsubsidized, FFELP, PLUS, private, and Perkins loans through a variety of loan services including the DOE, Sallie Mae, Access Group, and the University of Southern California.

At a monthly obligation of $2,200, we knew we had to do something. We switched her lowest fixed-interest loans to interest only, because it was so cheap to borrow and repay the loan at 2.50%. Next, we switched all her 10-year repayment loans to a 25-year repayment schedule. We took advantage of all interest rate reductions by enrolling in auto-pay and making 6 on-time payments. Then we consolidated loans which didn't offer interest rate reductions into loan services who did, thereby cutting another .5% off those loans. This brought our monthly payments to $1,300 down from $2,200.

The $900 we "saved" each month was used to pay down the principal of her highest interest rate loans, which were 9.5%. We also sent any extra money we had from financial gifts, bonuses, and etc to pay down the principal of the highest interest rate loans. 4 years, later we whittled her debt down to $160K at an average interest rate of 4.56%. We are currently 7 years out and we owe $32K at 3% with a monthly payment of $200.

There are now banks and institutions such as Social Financial (SoFi), DR Bank, Lendkey, Citizens Bank, and etc, who will refinance your loans according to your credit score and professional outlook that really seem interesting. There's a little controversy since these institutions are essentially cherry-picking low risk loan holders and leaving the less desirable loan holders for the federal government and other institutions. One thing you should consider is your ability and desire to repay your loans as cheap and quickly as possible, versus the flexibility that federal loans provide (such as flexible repayment options).

Good luck and I wish you the best.
The trouble for freemkt is that he's highly unlikely to qualify for a better deal.

From what we've gathered from his posting history, these loans are decades old and he hasn't bothered to repay them. He also refuses to gain a marketable skill and is seemingly content to work at a gas station or convenience store. No bank in their right mind is going to touch that.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Heres a better one for you....why do banks get loans at 0% from the Fed by student pay 7%....

Old 06-11-2015, 11:53 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Heres a better one for you....why do banks get loans at 0% from the Fed by student pay 7%....
The Fed wasn't lending at 0% back in the 70s when freemkt took out his student loans.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The trouble for freemkt is that he's highly unlikely to qualify for a better deal.

From what we've gathered from his posting history, these loans are decades old and he hasn't bothered to repay them. He also refuses to gain a marketable skill and is seemingly content to work at a gas station or convenience store. No bank in their right mind is going to touch that.
I LOVE IT when peeps 'do their homework' on City-Data and find out the REAL STORY!
In debt, BooooHOoooo, pooooor me! It's so not fair! When peeps cry and whine through more than 1 page of C/D it's time to check out their other posts ETC....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance