Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ???

How exactly did I avoid repaying the loans?

ALL of the principal and ALL of the accrued interest have been (re)paid.

The garnishment continues with no end in sight; they take my tax refunds and apply 80% to my loans (the rest disappears into some nebulous fee, although I have no idea what service I received for that fee).

Let me explain this huge, huge, HUGE mystery to you.

Person A makes a statement. Person B quotes that statement and replies. The reply is not directed to YOU.

Do you understand now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,793,057 times
Wasn't education much cheaper 30 years ago?

Didn't a college degree on its own open doors 30 years ago?

How did you go to college and end up with no skills?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

It only opens doors if you are willing to work.

FreeMrkt is better at complaining about everything in his life that hasn't worked out exactly how he expected.

I'm sure he was the prototypical college graduate with no experience holding out for a management job.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

??? ??? ???

Liberal arts degree + Carter recession + Rust Belt = career-related employment FAIL.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It only opens doors if you are willing to work.

FreeMrkt is better at complaining about everything in his life that hasn't worked out exactly how he expected.

I'm sure he was the prototypical college graduate with no experience holding out for a management job.

Ha, I took the first job i could get, at $4 per hour. By leaving school, I lost my on-campus student job.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
??? ??? ???

Liberal arts degree + Carter recession + Rust Belt = career-related employment FAIL.
Same with me. I'm retiring in the next couple weeks with 31, almost 32, years.

In all that time you couldn't find something to take advantage of your degree? Even Dumb Rod who graduated from high school with me found something better than you've had.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:59 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,861 times
Quote:
??? ??? ???

Political science degree + Obama recession + Rust Belt = career-related employment success here.

About 40% of what happens in your life is circumstance. Where you live, where you grew up, whether you have good or bad luck.

The other 60% is what you do with the hand you're dealt. Even a pair of fives can win a big pot.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Same with me. I'm retiring in the next couple weeks with 31, almost 32, years.

In all that time you couldn't find something to take advantage of your degree? Even Dumb Rod who graduated from high school with me found something better than you've had.

Without career-related experience, college degrees have a useful shelf life of about five years.

I thought that was a cliché until my job interviews fell off a cliff five years out from graduation.

Local economists in Portland have warned underemployed graduates that they should step up their efforts to get a career-related job, including relocating if necessary - because that five-year clock is ticking on them.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:54 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Quote:
People earning $17,000 pay zero. Only once in my lifetime have I earned as much as $17,000 in a calendar year.

I have no marketable job skills, where would i hold gainful employment?
So those student loans were for what again? I believe that liberal arts degree fully qualifies you to work at McDonalds, or even Walmart.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Without career-related experience, college degrees have a useful shelf life of about five years.

I thought that was a cliché until my job interviews fell off a cliff five years out from graduation.

Local economists in Portland have warned underemployed graduates that they should step up their efforts to get a career-related job, including relocating if necessary - because that five-year clock is ticking on them.
I didn't start teaching until almost 10 years after graduation. None of my previous jobs in industry or the military were in any way related to my degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance