Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
On balance, education is worth it. If it weren't, people wouldn't get it.

Weve all heard the exceptions but as a group, college graduates are much better off than their non-college peers.
Are lottery tickets worth it? Billions are spent on those too. Education isn't always worth the price one pays for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:05 AM

816 posts, read 968,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are lottery tickets worth it? Billions are spent on those too. Education isn't always worth the price one pays for it
Thats hardly fair. Education is not a lottery. It is a lifetime committment and a lifestyle choice. Its not something u do after high school. I mean education as decade long committment starting in high school through undergrad and post graduate in the most demanding and competitive field you can find. You come out on top of that struggle, you may be set for life

Old 09-26-2015, 10:06 AM

816 posts, read 968,829 times
I worked 100 hour weeks ingraduate school. And now i dont have to work that hard.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,830,339 times
Quote:

Weve all heard the exceptions but as a group, college graduates are much better off than their non-college peers.
But what they don't break down is the actual direct proportional amount of that "higher earning" coming from the college degree directly?

Understand who is included in this study, people like Donald Trump, Mitt Romney and Vince Mcmahon's daughter Stephanie Mcmahon. So all three of these individual have college degrees, but they came into an already BUILT network of connections that was pretty much already laid out for them. In other words, they didn't need the college degree at all, Stephanie Mcmahon for example could have just skipped college and went to work for her Father's WWE as he was going to leave the company to her ANYWAY.

These rich "trust fund" kids and kids of already established/well-off people, usually ALWAYS attend college just for the hell of it, when they really don't "need" to as people will hire them because they are XYZ's kid anyway.

These kids are what's driving the numbers up for people with college degrees v.s. those without them, but the misconception is that the college degree is driving up the numbers directly when it's not...what's driving up the numbers is the fact that those with the college degrees are usually those with the networks, connections, trust funds, etc.

It's why the rich keep getting richer, while the lower middle class and the poor keep getting poorer, and it's because the rich have all of the networks, connections, funding, etc. to keep making money. This is why I continue to stress that it's ABOUT the networks and connections.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:49 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I agree with everything you wrote except this.

I think assets still count regardless of liquidity or desire to liquidate. Otherwise you could use the logic above to exclude a house, 401k (if not at retirement age), business assets, etc.

IMO, cars still count as assets.
I disagree. I wouldn't count a house as an asset either. I don't own real property and I don't count my car in my numbers.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-26-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
Some of us in the bay area have bloated salaries. Try this on for size.. I think as much as a third or a quarter of households in the bay area make 200k+/yr.
I doubt it's that high. Santa Clara County has the highest median income in the U.S.---at 93K. Even if that stat is a few years old, I still don't think it's that high. People in tech forget that most other people in most other industries don't make nearly as much...hence the resentment at techies (not that I'm saying this is ok, but when housing is in short supply, lots of people are outbid by the tech crowd).

Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 AM

920 posts, read 932,786 times
46 & 54yrs old
A very expensive area of Northern California

$22,000 per yr -Two 18 hr shifts per week
(no weekends and shifts are sleep shifts) includes benefits
I stay with a mildly retarded adult /ocd (diagnosis) helping her live independently.

$25,000+ per year our Painting company- Some are cash & trades so I am not sure if he accounts for all those. I avoid the finances like the plague
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess -about $50,000+

I work with him a few days a week-4 hrs at a time too

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-26-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Yes, you touched on a very good point. I'm not making any kids either for a variety of reasons. I think I COULD be a good Father, but women have just totally changed today and the Family Court is out of freaking control! So there's a high chance I would just be paying excessive child support for a kid (or kids) I only see 2 - 4 times a month like so many Black Men like me are having to go through.
There's obviously some truth here, but I think you overdo it. I suspect you have some issues you're carrying over from childhood/adolescence. In my experience people with cynical attitudes about intimate relationships often have bad relationships. It becomes a self fulfilling thing.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:01 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
Quote:

Have to disagree with your first sentence there. People often do things that aren't financially worth it. That's like saying no one ever makes a bad decision with money.

I don't agree with your last sentence either. What are you basing that on? I have no degree, but I'm better off than most of the college educated friends I have. I can name several that are always broke. So, are they making a bunch of money and driving down the road throwing it out the window?

Old 09-26-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:

The problem is the number of exceptions is growing. Also, people doing well in life can't be attributed 100% to going to college. It's somewhat of a chicken and egg question. Does college help people do better in life? Yeah. But the people going to college tend to be more motivated to do well in life in the first place. Or as Jotucker said, some of them come from well off families and have built in connections in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance