Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 01:26 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
How does discussing the inefficiencies of the Family Court System and the laws related to it, make someone hate women :confused
You're past posts speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:27 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'm way above average net worth only because I don't have kids. I believe most of the posters here who are well off tend not to have kids.
Yes, I notice a lot of the early retirement crowd either have no kids or only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
What's the point of having a huge net worth if you let your life pass you by and being an extreme frugal person all the time without a social life? Great if you are laid off or have a long-term illness but otherwise what a sad life.
This sounds a little too binary to me.

The Frugalwoods provided some good tips on this topic:

Maintaining Friendships And Frugality - Frugalwoods

Old 09-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, I don't get the responses from you guys. Why are you talking about "families" when I was pointing out that the structural deal with his wife is one that is a recipe for alimony?
Dude, please! Your cynicism is off the charts. I am not trying to sound high and mighty, but I think you could benefit from seeing a counselor. I say this as someone who did some sessions myself. It helped.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
?

Latest info from the US Census Bureau/American Community Survey is from 2012-13: Richest counties by Median Income

#1: Louden County, VA: $117,876
#2: Fairfax County, VA: $109,383
#3: Howard County, MD (home sweet home): $108,844
#14: Santa Clara County, CA: $91,425

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Ok, the article I read said Santa Clara was the highest. I wasn't trying to brag...more prove a point that 200K is not the median income for the SF Bay Area as some highly paid folks seem to think.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
That's true however we're talking about net worth. Not someone's financial flexibility. Net worth by definition is assets less liabilities. What you are doing is listing what you feel is your net worth by distorting the definition. I'm not saying you're wrong to not count your home into your financial picture (if you're never planing to ever sell your home that equity shouldn't ever factor into your financial picture) but if you're going simply off the net worth definition you would be incorrect. Net worth literally means if you were to liquidate all assets and payoff all of your debts; what would you be worth.
Blech. So be it. I think the definition of Net Worth should be changed. I mean, if we really want to be so strict about our definition, we should be including the value of our furniture, etc, too, which seems silly to me.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 PM

493 posts, read 442,922 times
So Cal
1.3m NW (give or take)

Old 09-27-2015, 01:56 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
How to treat the home you live in has always been a debate. I mean when we bought our 2nd home we paid cash so over night 250k switched pockets.

The same thing happened when we sold .

I don't count personal items , even fine art work.

Until the day comes that i am willing to part with the pieces they remain consumption items and expenses as i have them insured and paid for.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-27-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 PM

25 posts, read 21,416 times
I was not planning to post since I don't fit the norms on this board when it comes to salary, NW and age so I didn't see the point. But I realize while numbers are nice, it is not everything. I am a single mom living in the very high cola Bay Area earning a wage that most in this area would not consider "livable wage". Wealth comes in many different forms, I get to live in an amazing area, have loving relationship with my precious child, many wonderful friends, no debts of any kind so I sleep well at night, fun and non-stressful job that allows me to enjoy my time outside of work and experience what the Bay Area has to offer. I am more than content.

Age 39
Income 50k
NW 105k

Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM

25 posts, read 21,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Ok, the article I read said Santa Clara was the highest. I wasn't trying to brag...more prove a point that 200K is not the median income for the SF Bay Area as some highly paid folks seem to think.
I believe this is changing quite fast with the Silicon Valley's abundance high wage tech positions that keeps springing. Those who can afford to stay that earns a salary on the "lower" than average amount are most likely already homeowners with a more locked in housing costs.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
That's true however we're talking about net worth. Not someone's financial flexibility. Net worth by definition is assets less liabilities. What you are doing is listing what you feel is your net worth by distorting the definition. I'm not saying you're wrong to not count your home into your financial picture (if you're never planing to ever sell your home that equity shouldn't ever factor into your financial picture) but if you're going simply off the net worth definition you would be incorrect. Net worth literally means if you were to liquidate all assets and payoff all of your debts; what would you be worth.
Completely agree. Net worth is not an opinion. It is not what you, I, or anyone else *thinks* it is. It has a specific definition: assets minus liabilities.

Furthermore, if you do not count a house as an asset, what do you do with the mortgage amount - not count it as a liability? Or include the liability and not the asset? Same thing with a car. If you do not count the value of the car, what do you do with the car note? What if the car note is greater than the value of the car, is your net worth better off because you don't count either?

By not counting homes and cars as assets, do people who rent and take public transportation benefit from how they think net worth should be defined?

Compare the following two people:

Person A: Has $50K in the bank, a house worth $400K and a mortage balance of $100K. She is paying $2500 per month on her mortgage.

Person B: Has $100K in the bank and pays $2500 monthly rent on a house.

By not counting a house as an asset, Person B has a higher net worth ($100K) than Person A ($50K). Does that seem accurate? Is Person B REALLY worth more than Person A?

Of course not! Person A has a higher net worth ($350K) versus Person B ($100K).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance