Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Question. How is it that pretty much everyone here on average is worth over $200k in NW, but statistics from
other internet sources say that most Americans can not afford a $400 emergency? What the heck? LOL
I'm just trying to figure out if stats I read from internet sources are even remotely true.

$200k NW is not hard to achieve when you count equity in a house. Most people replying in a Personal Finance forum are above average in terms of fiscal responsibility, there are very few people who are struggling or squandering their money away on here. And even if they make it here for one post they are derided for their spending habits and leave just as quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,541 times
DFW metro Texas

Married, 50 and 43

We have 2 kids together, and he has 2 others before me

We each make $50kyear, so $100k HH income

net worth: $0 I am pretty sure. NO 401k, no investments, entire paycheck is gone by 8am after getting paid at midnight. I guess we do have home equity of about $60k though

Both have advanced degrees and good jobs, just a lot of money out the door for cars/insurance, older home issues, and all the damn kids

Shocked and impressed by people's net worth on here. I have a gorgeous 21 year old daughter I'd like you to meet 😜

Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,274,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
a) Statistics are nothing but justification for analysts to have a job.
b) Go through US Dept. of Statistics and read what income statistics are based on. Have fun:>)
c) In my book NW is what I can write and cash a check for.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
$200k NW is not hard to achieve when you count equity in a house. Most people replying in a Personal Finance forum are above average in terms of fiscal responsibility, there are very few people who are struggling or squandering their money away on here. And even if they make it here for one post they are derided for their spending habits and leave just as quickly.
This is true. I watch people get their pride hurt severely in the PF forum.

I just see these stats thrown around all the time in the media and internet, that's why I was surprised
to see that so many people are actually doing very well!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Quote:
LOL!

This is true. I watch people get their pride hurt severely in the PF forum.

I just see these stats thrown around all the time in the media and internet, that's why I was surprised
to see that so many people are actually doing very well!
This isn't a group known to give out many free passes, that's for sure... And nor should it! Unlike with sense of happiness or quality of a relationship, much of maintaining a budget and building wealth is tangible and objective. Nobody has any justification to cry over their butt hurt after we've handed it (the facts of the matter) to them. I can remember half a dozen really dumb financial moves (spending). I can't say I feel any less shame about them, but I did learn how and why I was triggered to spend and that process has substantially reduced the likelihood of doing it again.

As my husband says educating yourself is expensive, but not educating yourself is more expensive.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:15 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Shocked and impressed by people's net worth on here. I have a gorgeous 21 year old daughter I'd like you to meet 😜

Rule #7 of financial security: Trophy wives pave the way to financial ruin.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,541 times
Quote:
LOL

She'd never be that way anyway. Now my youngest is a whole different story....

Old 05-24-2019, 12:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
31, metrowest suburbs of Boston
working on 2nd master's degree (tuition remission)
80K a year
80K net worth
Posted the above in March.

Thanks to some additional savings and the luck of being gifted an almost-new car (my grandmother's 2016 Prius with 6000 miles that has been meticulously maintained for how little it's driven and spent its winters in a garage), I crossed over the 100K net worth mark and for the first time in my adult life have absolutely no debt. I'll be able to dump all the car payments, higher maintenance, and gas costs I was spending on my previous vehicle into my house downpayment fund and increase my savings rate to about 25%.

Might not be much to some, but considering that 7 years ago I was making 35K a year and staring down a net worth of -35K thanks to cancer, it's huge for me. When I realized that I hit that milestone, I cried for about 2 days. I might even take my first *real* vacation away since college!

Note: I generally don't count my vehicle in my net worth, but I like the psychological boost here.

Moral of the story: if you're in a rough patch, even a prolonged rough patch, it can get better. Make compound interest work for you. I'd like my retirement savings to be more, but they're pretty good given how little money I made for so many years because I consistently put at least 13% away and increased that a little bit with every raise.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Quote:
You forgot the most important rule for men. Make sure the trophy wife is your 1st wife.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Question. How is it that pretty much everyone here on average is worth over $200k in NW, but statistics from
other internet sources say that most Americans can not afford a $400 emergency? What the heck? LOL
I'm just trying to figure out if stats I read from internet sources are even remotely true.
Because there's no way a survey can survey 100% of working Americans. There are guaranteed to be people with $100K, $75K, $50K, $25K, etc. in savings, all the way down to those with less than $400.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because there's no way a survey can survey 100% of working Americans. There are guaranteed to be people with $100K, $75K, $50K, $25K, etc. in savings, all the way down to those with less than $400.
They don’t need to survey 100 percent of people to know the true number. That’s why statistical sampling uses confidence intervals, which are usually at 95 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance