Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
That's antithetical to my experience. A lot of people I know had kids in their teens and early 20s here in NYC and it's usually involuntary.
All our kids had kids later then we did . I think the first did not happen until about 30 .my daughter just had their second child at 35 ..

There is no question kids are marrying later and having children later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 726,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All our kids had kids later then we did . I think the first did not happen until about 30 .my daughter just had their second child at 35 ..

There is no question kids are marrying later and having children later
Yeah for some reason there is a bifurcation between the people I know who went to college and the people who didn't. The latter category, which consists of the majority of adults I know outside of work, has kids earlier, while the people I knew in college still don't have kids.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Yeah for some reason there is a bifurcation between the people I know who went to college and the people who didn't. The latter category, which consists of the majority of adults I know outside of work, has kids earlier, while the people I knew in college still don't have kids.
Education level plays a huge part in it. Everyone I know of who is college educated had kids later. It seems like the more educated, the later it was, too. Bachelors Degree? Late 20's to early 30s seemed to be the rule. Masters Degree? Early 30s at best. PhD? Mid to late 30s. That is if the Masters or PhD people had any kids at all. I myself didn't have my daughter until I was nearly 37. I have a Masters. My wife was 27 and has a Bachelors.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
So kids getting out of HS with educated parents ready to go on SS are paying for their SS or will they stay home as caretakers when they have their degrees ten years later on student loans?

Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
Why would "educated" parents need their kids' help?! Presumably, if they were actually educated and intelligent, they saved their own money and shouldn't have any issues. My dad had me at 40, and my sister at 43, he works out every day, he makes big business deals and hasn't slowed down or retired, he travels the world, he has a more active social life than anyone I know, and he's 77. Not everyone is as fortunate financially -- he won't ever need any assistance -- but hopefully most parents have saved well enough not to burden their kids. If you had kids thinking it's their job to take care of you, well, you're sorely mistaken. You made the choice to have kids, they have their own lives.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
That's pretty standard, unfortunately. Those who don't go to college have kids younger, and most of them are now out of wedlock. Those who do tend to not have kids until 30. Those least able to raise functional children are the ones having the most. It's a serious problem.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's pretty standard, unfortunately. Those who don't go to college have kids younger, and most of them are now out of wedlock. Those who do tend to not have kids until 30. Those least able to raise functional children are the ones having the most. It's a serious problem.
Yeah my wife was 31 when we had our first and 34 on our 2nd in December. She runs her own business had a PHD....Im a few years older but have a degree, former military officer etc....we are done at 2.

Her cousins not even sure they finished high school but between the 2 of them they have 6 kids and 4 dads between them all. Their youngest is 3 years older than ours. The cousins are her age btw....They dont work either. Just like Idiocracy.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:52 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Her cousins not even sure they finished high school but between the 2 of them they have 6 kids and 4 dads between them all. Their youngest is 3 years older than ours. The cousins are her age btw....They dont work either. Just like Idiocracy.
Yes, just like Idiocracy.

Your cousins are the reason why divorce and single parenthood were stigmatized. We need to get back to that or the idiots are going to take over.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:32 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, just like Idiocracy.

Your cousins are the reason why divorce and single parenthood were stigmatized. We need to get back to that or the idiots are going to take over.
I don't believe it. They might be the majority, but they won't have the social or intellectual capital to "take over" anything but welfare benefits and widening the inequality gap.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:51 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I don't believe it. They might be the majority, but they won't have the social or intellectual capital to "take over" anything but welfare benefits and widening the inequality gap.
They can still vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance