Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Its hilarious like watching the famous Lucille Ball episode, the excuses are coming out as fast as the chocolate pieces in the conveyor belt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 06:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The first generation wealthy and major corporation CEOs are overachievers. The highest paid people today are in finance. Outfits like Goldman-Sachs recruit only the best and the brightest from the top universities. If you're a B- student from a no-name school, you have no shot at getting hired. Sure, there are plenty of affluent people and executives who partied their way though college and managed to be successful afterwards. That is far more rare now than 50 years ago when you could get your gentleman's C and use your family connections to land your corporate job. Times have changed. The world is extremely competitive.

how can I learn what those finance grads learn without paying the exorbitant tuition?

i have some accounting background and it's not rocket science.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I've spent my entire career working for big wall st firms and I'd take family/connections over any MBA/Masters. I'm not sure what your experience is in the field but connections still rule

oops! so much for meritocracy

Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
perhaps you should start a 401 keg plan . collect empty beer bottles for the deposit .
Where are these places that pay for beer bottles? I don't think my state does it. I have two trash sons full of beer cans that I was trying to cash in as aluminum. Getting ready to start a third can. . I just throw the bottles in the recycling can. Am I throwing away money? Where do you sell this stuff?

Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for sure .

at my old firm we are always hiring in all positions . we get resume's and walk ins all the time .

most of the employees were either recommended by customers or by people we know .

only the lowest level are usually resumes and walk in's .

like a wall street cowboy
you get calls and walk-ins
from people you don't even know

Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Where are these places that pay for beer bottles? I don't think my state does it. I have two trash sons full of beer cans that I was trying to cash in as aluminum. Getting ready to start a third can. . I just throw the bottles in the recycling can. Am I throwing away money? Where do you sell this stuff?

Several states have cash can and bottle deposits, usually on soft drinks and beer.

You pay the deposit at point of sale and can reclaim your deposit by returning them to certain locations, usually supermarkets and other retailers which sell the product you paid deposit on.

I've lived in two of these states.

These products carry state-specific UPC bar codes when sold in states with a deposit, so you can't take no-deposit cans/bottles and collect a deposit by running them through a machine across the state line.

Smaller stores e.g. convenience stores and corner markets typically manually redeem empty cans and bottles for deposit return - instead of running cans through a machine to count, a clerk does it by hand - and you can sometimes get cash for a no-deposit container. The cans do indicate whether there is an applicable deposit but clerks rarely check to see whether or not your Coke can actually has a deposit.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Several states have cash can and bottle deposits, usually on soft drinks and beer.

You pay the deposit at point of sale and can reclaim your deposit by returning them to certain locations, usually supermarkets and other retailers which sell the product you paid deposit on.

I've lived in two of these states.

These products carry state-specific UPC bar codes when sold in states with a deposit, so you can't take no-deposit cans/bottles and collect a deposit by running them through a machine across the state line.
t
Wait.. So you pay a deposit when you buy the drink, then have to return the bottle to get your prepaid deposit back? That seems like a waste of time and effort. Why not just discontinue the deposit and everyone recycle the bottles/cans?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Wait.. So you pay a deposit when you buy the drink, then have to return the bottle to get your prepaid deposit back? That seems like a waste of time and effort. Why not just discontinue the deposit and everyone recycle the bottles/cans?
Yes deposits in some states are required for each can/bottle with the program ideally reducing litter and landfill

Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:

It was an environmental gimmick which was concocted shortly after the first Earth Day. The idea was to take all those cans and bottles out of the solid waste stream and off the roadsides.

While many people consider the 5 or 10 cent deposit unworthy of the return effort, today's hobo army collects the discards to redeem them for cash.

Cans and bottles without deposits are recycled for their aluminum, plastic, or glass, but are worth considerably less than those with deposits.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It was an environmental gimmick which was concocted shortly after the first Earth Day. The idea was to take all those cans and bottles out of the solid waste stream and off the roadsides.

While many people consider the 5 or 10 cent deposit unworthy of the return effort, today's hobo army collects the discards to redeem them for cash.

Cans and bottles without deposits are recycled for their aluminum, plastic, or glass, but are worth considerably less than those with deposits.

Well you are wrong on the timing in general

From wiki

Quote:
A & R Thwaites & Co in Dublin, Ireland, announced in 1799 the provision of artificial "soda water" and that they paid 2 shillings a dozen for returned bottles. Schweppes that also was in the business of artificially made mineral waters, had a similar recycling policy about 1800, without any legislation.[1] Scottish bottled beverage companies also voluntarily introduced such a scheme to encourage the return of their bottles for reuse.[4] In Sweden a standard system for deposits on bottles and recycling was established in 1884, eventually by law. The popular demand for a deposit on aluminium cans to reduce littering in the nature led to legislation in 1984.

In North America, British Columbia's legislated deposit-return system, enacted in 1970, is the oldest such program in North America.[2]

And it looks like it didn't hit the U.S. until a couple years after earthday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance